E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Recently I've noticed that the gear indicator in between the Speedo and Tach blinks once when I shift from 2nd to 3rd... or even from 3 to 4 but it still changes gears. What does that mean?

I know it'll blink if the revs are too low and the revs are not high enough to engage the next gear and then it stays on the same gear, but mine blinks once and then changes to the next gear...

Oh I also notice that it sometimes revs a tiny bit before upshifting... yes UPshifting... downshift to rev match i understand but ummm for upshift? I'm noticing all these "weird" behaviors because of 545poser's threads... its making me more aware of the tranny.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1048183' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:52 PM
Recently I've noticed that the gear indicator in between the Speedo and Tach blinks once when I shift from 2nd to 3rd... or even from 3 to 4 but it still changes gears. What does that mean?

I know it'll blink if the revs are too low and the revs are not high enough to engage the next gear and then it stays on the same gear, but mine blinks once and then changes to the next gear...

Oh I also notice that it sometimes revs a tiny bit before upshifting... yes UPshifting... downshift to rev match i understand but ummm for upshift? I'm noticing all these "weird" behaviors because of 545poser's threads... its making me more aware of the tranny.
I'm sure the upshifting revs are normal, but does it feel weird while the gears engage?

The blinking in between gear changing might be a problem as i don't recall my smg doing that. i will let you know later on today if that happens to me also, on my way home from work..
Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Members

My SMG did that and i'm not sure what the problem is but they replaced my clutch as they were worn. How many miles on your car?

This was the same exact issue i had bmw to take a look at. which eventually led to my transmission getting replaced. My SMG they discovered had a problem with the solenoid.

You should bring it in to the dealer for them to check it out.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 12 bmw x5 3.5 10 nissan gtr 10 ml350 10 jeep wrangler sport 09 m5 stock white w/ red 08 s550 white w/ beige 00 acura integra

wow i have a 09 m5 and i have seen the blink of 1 and 2 gear shift sometime.. is a smg problem???? i guess i will be calling the dealer tomm..
Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

so i didnt see any revs when upshifting,

and the blinking happened once, i kept checking didnt blink much
Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1048183' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:52 PM

Is this occuring at initial startup before optimal engine temp is reached? I'm not sure how to look down and also drive, wondering if u only notice due to the new awareness?
I've only experienced a blink as you noted, when trying to upshift too low in the rpm, and only during initial start up when engine temp is low...obviously I experience significantly lower startup temps in the fall and winters, but I've not noticed any other situation...do you feel anything wierd when you get on it, or just inquiring if there may be an issue?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ah weird... i didnt get e-mail notifications about the responses...
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545iPoeser' post='1048209
My SMG did that and i'm not sure what the problem is but they replaced my clutch as they were worn. How many miles on your car?

This was the same exact issue i had bmw to take a look at. which eventually led to my transmission getting replaced. My SMG they discovered had a problem with the solenoid.

You should bring it in to the dealer for them to check it out.
Really? wow I just came back from the dealer for a bunch of software issues I dont want to go back in again...

the car has 20K miles... it seems soon for a normal clutch to go out... it has not been abused since I got it at 17K miles.

Originally Posted by m630' post='1049095' date='Nov 6 2009, 02:13 PM
Is this occuring at initial startup before optimal engine temp is reached? I'm not sure how to look down and also drive, wondering if u only notice due to the new awareness?
I've only experienced a blink as you noted, when trying to upshift too low in the rpm, and only during initial start up when engine temp is low...obviously I experience significantly lower startup temps in the fall and winters, but I've not noticed any other situation...do you feel anything wierd when you get on it, or just inquiring if there may be an issue?
It happens thoughout. even when optimal temp is reached. You dont really have to look down, its noticeable to me when i see it blink. It blinks 2 or 3 times when you try to upshift when the revs are too low but for this the revs are normal, around 3K+ before I upshft and it only blinks once and does in fact engage the next gear... so its weird... thats why i'm asking if anyone else notices
Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1049106' date='Nov 6 2009, 05:36 PM
It happens thoughout. even when optimal temp is reached. You dont really have to look down, its noticeable to me when i see it blink. It blinks 2 or 3 times when you try to upshift when the revs are too low but for this the revs are normal, around 3K+ before I upshft and it only blinks once and does in fact engage the next gear... so its weird... thats why i'm asking if anyone else notices
yeah, that does sound a bit strange..i never experience it anymore, only the first few times i drove when she was very cold and in p400 mode...now i never leave the drive before pressing the Mbutton which gets me P500S, so no hesitation or blinking in my case...