E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Quick update - pre break-in

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005 | 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Just over 1,000 miles today. I've set up the break-in service appointment at my dealer for Monday morning.

While driving the car moderately hard, here are my comments:

The car is the most awesomely competent, composed, absolutely unflappable car I've ever driven. The steering and chassis are just magnificent. The brakes are monumental. The engine is the finest piece of engineering of any mass produced car in existance. The SMG is absolutely effortless, quick and precise. You do have to be careful not to downshift too far (break-in is 5500 rpm max). And the sound of that engine is better than a Porsche, almost as good as a Ferrari. You really feel like you are driving a 4 door Ferrari. The interior luxury and technology are the best of any car I've seen under $100,000.

When shuttling myself and friends around town, here are my comments:

The ride is firm, but very good, even with my 20 in wheels. The interior appointments always get high praise - it is really a very nice place to spend time. Probably the two biggest 'wow factor' features are the active side bolsters in the front seats, and the comfort access where I can open or close the car just by placing my hand on the door handle. The Nav system and Heads-up display also get a lot of comments. The engine sound is wonderful, not intrusive, but everyone loves it. You have absolutely no sensation of how fast you are going. I had a couple friends with me and was over 120 mph on an onramp before any of us knew it. It was like going 80.

The SMG takes concentration - a lot of concentration to drive smoothly. If I pay attention, I can drive the car smoothly, but every once in a while I'll misstime lifting the throttle, or I'll blip the downshifts one too many times. I always use the fastest shift settings, otherwise I find it hard to anticipate the clutch take-up. Using the automatic mode is only useful for me if I need to concentrate on Nav or I'm talking to someone on the phone. The automatic mode is really irritating, you just have no idea when the car is going to shift, and then when it does, there is a big throttle lag that jerks your head forward.

The car certainly can shuttle around town, and with more practice I'm sure I won't have to concentrate as much on the SMG to make it smooth. But sometimes you just want to get in the car and not have to think too much. Right now, I'd rather have an E55 if I'm just going to the store, or transporting some friends to dinner. Actually I think DSG is the ultimate solution, but I may change my mind as I get accustomed to the SMG.

I know that I really haven't experienced the true personality of the car yet, since I've been babying it for the last week. We'll see what I think when I've been able to really drive the car!
Old 11-02-2005 | 10:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Nov 2 2005, 02:51 PM
I had a couple friends with me and was over 120 mph on an onramp before any of us knew it.? It was like going 80.

[snapback]192571[/snapback]

doesnt the break in say not over 100mph!!! let us know how the car feels when you really get to open her up!
Old 11-02-2005 | 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:55 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Nov 2 2005, 02:51 PM'] I had a couple friends with me and was over 120 mph on an onramp before any of us knew it.? It was like going 80.

doesnt the break in say not over 100mph!!! let us know how the car feels when you really get to open her up!
[snapback]192575[/snapback]
[/quote]

Felt like we were under 100...
Old 11-02-2005 | 11:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Nov 2 2005, 03:00 PM
were under 100...
[snapback]192576[/snapback]
...i've just broken 1300 miles on my new baby and had her in last week at 1200 for a service look about...all systems go and now im heading north of 4500...ive seen 80mph at 2250 in 6th so i cant imagine how fast i'll hit the limiter on my way towards 6500...cant imagine how fast you will get there!!!!, im certain that 8250 will not be possible in 7th with that dang delimiter
Old 11-02-2005 | 11:09 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the nice write up. You summarised the M5 very good IMO.

The car builds speed increadibly fast and unnoticed. Speedblind for sure!
SMG - I love it in S mode. In D mode it?s okay, not more. The yerkiness will be a faint memory with some more miles under the belt, I promise you!

I actually find it a very good every day drive.

It?s going to be very interesting to see how it behaives on winter roads. Probably very fun to drive with the M diff!

Had my first long drive with the powerpipe yesterday. 600 km of highway cruising.
The exhaust sound is at an acceptable level ( maybe on the limit for " normal " passengers / drivers ). I don?t count my wife and son as " normal " passengers anymore! They are actually no good to measure the acceptance of the sound level. Have to bring someone more normal for a trip in the car, to see if they think it?s too loud. But who cares anyway, I think it sounds awesome
Old 11-02-2005 | 11:34 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the update, Wolverine. It's great to read about how much fun you are having.

It looks fantastic with your wheels and the tint.

Try to keep it under 175 when your break-in period is over, will ya?
Old 11-02-2005 | 12:16 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-02-2005 | 12:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Yes, thank you for the very interesting information.
Old 11-02-2005 | 02:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

wolverine,

Thanks for the feedback. Remember, after the break-in, and after you've had the car serviced, it's Launch Control country!!!

I'd definitely like to hear your experiences with LC especially with those PS2's.
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Nov 2 2005, 12:51 PM
The car certainly can shuttle around town, and with more practice I'm sure I won't have to concentrate as much on the SMG to make it smooth.? But sometimes you just want to get in the car and not have to think too much.? Right now, I'd rather have an E55 if I'm just going to the store, or transporting some friends to dinner.? Actually I think DSG is the ultimate solution, but I may change my mind as I get accustomed to the SMG.?

I know that I really haven't experienced the true personality of the car yet, since I've been babying it for the last week.? We'll see what I think when I've been able to really drive the car!
I always wondered how you would like SMG. I am considering it in my next car the 550 but I just don't have to think about shifting and would hate to have to start.

Please keep us posted. Would you have rather had a manual tranny in your new beast?

Quick Reply: Quick update - pre break-in