E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Preferred driving modes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
mjm
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm eagerly awaiting delivery Nov 22 of my M5. For those of you who are already driving your M5s, how are you finding the various suspension/power/SMG settings? There's a pretty large number of combinations (according to what I've read in the manual).

Are there any you have found you like already?

Mark
Old 11-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by mjm' date='Nov 1 2005, 08:52 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting delivery Nov 22 of my M5.? For those of you who are already driving your M5s, how are you finding the various suspension/power/SMG settings?? There's a pretty large number of combinations (according to what I've read in the manual).

Mark
[snapback]192173[/snapback]
You may try m5board.com for more info from m5 owners..
Old 11-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='Nov 1 2005, 07:27 PM
You may try m5board.com for more info from m5 owners..?
[snapback]192203[/snapback]

are you steering people away from this board?????
Old 11-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Nov 2 2005, 01:13 AM
[quote name='soc_fans' date='Nov 1 2005, 07:27 PM']You may try m5board.com for more info from m5 owners..?
[snapback]192203[/snapback]

are you steering people away from this board?????
[snapback]192308[/snapback]
[/quote]

OF COURSE NOT! It's just that there are more E60 m5 owners over there that are able to help to answer his question..
Old 11-02-2005, 02:33 AM
Senior Members

Favourite modes: P500, S5, EDC normal
Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5, silver gray/black/aluminum, all options except rear seat heating E30 M3, white/tan

Originally Posted by mjm' post='192173' date='Nov 1 2005, 05:52 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting delivery Nov 22 of my M5. For those of you who are already driving your M5s, how are you finding the various suspension/power/SMG settings? There's a pretty large number of combinations (according to what I've read in the manual).

Mark
Well, I put about 630 miles so far and haven't seen much of a difference in suspension settings. P400 vs P500 is noticeable difference. SMG D drive mode is a nightmare: it takes forever to shift, setting 4 is jerky, so I am using 2 or 1 (starts in 2nd gear). At first I called BMW NA cust service, but they were waste of my time (rep was asking if I have manual or SMG transmission (?), admitted the car is new in the US and there was nothing on bulletin boards). Looks like it's designed to be driven in S Sequential mode, however, I found it slower than advertised fraction of a second to shift (seems to me downshifts are much faster than upshifts). Oil consumption is another surprise (down to 0.8 from 1 L in 400 mi), there is plenty of postings on this subject...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by zeljko' post='198397

Mark
Well, I put about 630 miles so far and haven't seen much of a difference in suspension settings. P400 vs P500 is noticeable difference. SMG D drive mode is a nightmare: it takes forever to shift, setting 4 is jerky, so I am using 2 or 1 (starts in 2nd gear). At first I called BMW NA cust service, but they were waste of my time (rep was asking if I have manual or SMG transmission (?), admitted the car is new in the US and there was nothing on bulletin boards). Looks like it's designed to be driven in S Sequential mode, however, I found it slower than advertised fraction of a second to shift (seems to me downshifts are much faster than upshifts). Oil consumption is another surprise (down to 0.8 from 1 L in 400 mi), there is plenty of postings on this subject...
[/quote]

was there a lot of jerking when downshift in the S mode?
How often was the jerking in the D mode?
thanks!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='198402
Originally Posted by mjm' post='192173' date='Nov 1 2005, 05:52 PM

Mark
thanks!
[/quote]

There is no jerking on downshifts--it automatically rev-matches (and the throttle blipping is very cool ).
Old 11-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='198416
Originally Posted by zeljko' post='198397' date='Nov 14 2005, 10:48 PM
[quote name='mjm' post='192173' date='Nov 1 2005, 05:52 PM']

Mark
thanks!
[/quote]

There is no jerking on downshifts--it automatically rev-matches (and the throttle blipping is very cool ).
[/quote]

Not really true. The downshifts themselves are smooth, but the car will jerk slightly because of the engine braking once the clutch is engaged. This is especially apparent when coming to a stop. I no longer downshift when stopping, and once stopped, I'll hit the lever once to make sure I'm in first gear. I've had a couple nasty starts when I've hit the gas and the car is in the middle of shifting from second to first gear at a stop.

For normal driving, P400, EDC comfort, DSC on, and S4. I may switch to S5 or even S6 for normal driving, but I'm still under 5000 km. For the 'M' mode during break-in I have P500sport, EDC normal, DSC off, and (sigh) S4. I'll switch to S6 when I'm over 5000 km.

I agree the Automatic "D" mode is only useful if you want to give the car to someone who can't drive a manual (why would you want to do that??). It is slow, rough, and jerky, and really doesn't belong in a $90K car.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='198595
Originally Posted by m5lover' post='198402' date='Nov 14 2005, 08:54 PM
[quote name='zeljko' post='198397' date='Nov 14 2005, 10:48 PM']
[quote name='mjm' post='192173' date='Nov 1 2005, 05:52 PM']

Mark
thanks!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not really true. The downshifts themselves are smooth, but the car will jerk slightly because of the engine braking once the clutch is engaged. This is especially apparent when coming to a stop. I no longer downshift when stopping, and once stopped, I'll hit the lever once to make sure I'm in first gear. I've had a couple nasty starts when I've hit the gas and the car is in the middle of shifting from second to first gear at a stop.

For normal driving, P400, EDC comfort, DSC on, and S4. I may switch to S5 or even S6 for normal driving, but I'm still under 5000 km. For the 'M' mode during break-in I have P500sport, EDC normal, DSC off, and (sigh) S4. I'll switch to S6 when I'm over 5000 km.

I agree the Automatic "D" mode is only useful if you want to give the car to someone who can't drive a manual (why would you want to do that??). It is slow, rough, and jerky, and really doesn't belong in a $90K car.
[/quote]

thanks for the input wolverine!glad you enjoyed your car

Quick Reply: Preferred driving modes