E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Parking/Care

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006 | 05:45 PM
Members

Getting my first M5 and I am looking for some tips on

1. Detailers? anyone know a good manhattan detail shop that will Zaino my car.

2. Parking....Most of these garages are valet only....I live on the upper west and need a good clean garage that will let me take my keys.

3. Carwash??? Is there one that has "clean" water and will let me hand wash my car?
Old 01-08-2006 | 11:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by m51nyc' post='220773' date='Jan 7 2006, 09:45 PM

2. Parking....Most of these garages are valet only....I live on the upper west and need a good clean garage that will let me take my keys.

3. Carwash??? Is there one that has "clean" water and will let me hand wash my car?
Technic1 on 29th between 10th and 11th I believe. Gus and Angelo are the owners there and are very good. Gus was service manager for Porsches at Manhattan Motorcars, and Angelo is the only licensed 3M Clearbra installer in NY.
http://www.technik1.com/

If you don't mind going to LI, Detaling Dynamics is the absolute BEST in our area. Matt is the owner and holds detailing sessions for the PCA and BMWCCA. Can do concours level stuff. Warning: not cheap.
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/

I heard from a few local exotic car owners there's a park and lock (park yourself, lock, take keys with you) at one of the new Trump buildings in the 60's next to West Side Hwy. They also said there's one on Houston near the WSH. I heard this over a year ago, so don't know what the deal is now.

If you can't find a park and lock, just try some local garages. Most garages are valet, but you can always try to work out a 'deal' with the manager. Sounds shady, but there's tons of services that aren't advertised. For example, if you want your own permanent spot in the front, they'll make you pay an additional amount over monthly price. And maybe if you want to park it yourself and take keys with you, its another additional amount over the monthly price. Talk to the manager, tip a lot, remember cash is king. You'll probably have more success at the garages where you see Ferraris and Bentleys regularly in the front spots.

I think I've tried all of the automated car washs in Manhattan, and I think the one on 46th st. and WSH is pretty good. If you go to where the cars exit on 47th st, they have an area where they do hand washes too. I think its like $20 or $30.

The car wash on 14th st. and 10th ave offers hand washes too, and I've evern seen Ferraris and Z8's getting detailled in their detailing bay (guess the owners don't know about technik1), but I'm starting to dislike their machine wash so I haven't tried their hand wash.

Also, a lot of garages will offer to hand wash your car for $20 cash on the wknds. Basically just soap + sponge + hose. Another unadvertised service.

I think technik1 still offers or used to offer hand washes too.

Hope this helps, good luck with parking and cleaning! (its a b*tch in Manhattan ain't it? )
Enjoy the new M5!

PS: Can I get a ride sometime?
Old 01-09-2006 | 02:16 AM
Members

WOW...that is great info...I will let you know when i get the spot worked out....and when the car is avail for a ride!
Old 01-09-2006 | 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by m51nyc' post='220773' date='Jan 7 2006, 09:45 PM

1. Detailers? No answer for that one specifically. Sometimes garage employees are real car nuts and for a price ......
2. Always park your vehicle at a garage that you pay a premium for "park and lock". Most garages offer this option. Also purchase a custom cover and line the area between the cover the the doors with soft, but firm foam to prevent door dings.
3. Again, see if there is a garage employee you get along with. There are usually a few who are always looking to make some extra cash in their "off" time at the garage.