E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

PANIC ATTACK! V10 M5, bought, topped up oil, now rattles loud on s

Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 AM
wtf
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i Daily Porsche 986S Convertible Weekend

Hey guys,

So I just bought an M5 (I have a 530i as well, which I loved but decided to bite the bullet and get this 2006 M5).

I bought it yesterday, it sounded great, drove great, is blindingly fast, is totally stock, has service history and no visible damage and didn't have any weird noises, smoke or emissions.

Going through the menu, I noticed it suggested oil level is suggested to be topped up 'please add 1L' or something the message said, but it didnt say it was below minimum, just that it should be addressed. There was no oil warning light or anything else saying it needed to be done.

So anyway, i took it out driving for that night, for 20 mins, then next day drove straight to my mechanic, showed him the error, and he added the 'suggested 1L' of oil... the car sounded and drove fine straight after, didnt really give it any stick, just took it round the block to feel for suspension play prior to getting a road worthy certificate.

So we get back to the shop, on hoist, everything checks out, just needs a few suspension bushes but otherwise is perfect.

Put car back down and notice that the oil level thing still claims it suggests to add more oil..... started the car and noticed the vanos on the left bank is a bit noiser than the right (car is cold), so he adds another 200ml of oil... turn car on again and it makes a RATTLE/KNOCKING noise as if something is SERIOUSLY WRONG.. the rattle stops after about 3 seconds, but shut the car off and pop the oil cap off, mechanic said it seems to have a bit more pressure in there than it should when the cap gets unscrewed (like a slight woosh when u take a fuel cap off). Start it one more time, same thing, couple seconds of rattle, then goes away.

He begins to wonder if the Positive crank valves perhaps are blocked (thus the pressure in crank), or that the oil level indicator is lying, and that in fact we have just over filled the oil level.

It was not driven after the rattle happened and now is sitting until tomorrow morning when the mechanic can look.

I have owned the car less than 24hrs, forked out an extreme amount of cash (they are 2-3x more expensive in Australia than in the USA), and I am freaking out.. I called the previous owner, and he swears it will be something simple and said there was never ever any signs of issues in the past, but he had admitted noticed the oil level showing 0.2 (slightly on the low side), but hadn't had time to top it up in the past few weeks.

The car was serviced only 5000kms ago.

Car has around 65,000miles on it.

PLEASE I hope someone can give me some ideas or good news until such time the mechanic drops the oil tomorrow and tests the oil level sensor..

Ideas?

many thanks,

Mark
Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 AM
wtf
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i Daily Porsche 986S Convertible Weekend

SOLUTION: looks like the level sensor was gummed up and just not moving up/down.. dropped the over filled oil and shes fine now.

after a good flogging the sensor is reading right again and its all good.

figure id let u know in case other people experience similar in future and want to avoid a heart attack.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by wtf
SOLUTION: looks like the level sensor was gummed up and just not moving up/down.. dropped the over filled oil and shes fine now.

after a good flogging the sensor is reading right again and its all good.

figure id let u know in case other people experience similar in future and want to avoid a heart attack.
It may not seem like much, but thank you for doing this!

There's nothing I hate more than searching around on Google, finding a forum that describes my exact problem, and finding one of the following..
  • "oh nvm I fixed it" - with absolutely no explination
  • An abandoned thread with no replies
  • And the worst... replies of "Did you even think of searching?" "Google it", links to LMGTFY, etc.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricapar
It may not seem like much, but thank you for doing this!

There's nothing I hate more than searching around on Google, finding a forum that describes my exact problem, and finding one of the following..
  • "oh nvm I fixed it" - with absolutely no explination
  • An abandoned thread with no replies
  • And the worst... replies of "Did you even think of searching?" "Google it", links to LMGTFY, etc.
+1
Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

I'm glad you figured it out. Otherwise I would have chimed in here to help. I remember you mentioning on here not too long ago that you wanted one so I'm happy you finally pulled the trigger. Enjoy that beast.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60 550i motorsport metallic grey, black leather interior, head up display, logis & stereo, sat nav, M sport pakage and full options. 19' twin spoke wheels and LED front and tail lights

hi, good to hear you got an easy fix solution....I can only imagine the feeling of the impending "heart attack". Also couldn't agree more about the $$$ for an M5 here in Oz, got the government to blame for all the tax's they put on luxury cars and anyone who works hard and tries to get ahead.....don't get me started. Great to hear your good news, enjoy it mate.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Members

My Ride: Project "StancE60d" - Color: Platinum Gray Metallic - 08 528i w/Premiun sport package - Mtech front bumper - Mtech fog lights with 8000k HID kit - Mtech rear bumper - M5 Side skirts - Matte black Kidney Grills - Matte Vinyl Shadowline trim - Dark Smoke AVS Window Visors - Dark smoke side markers - AC Schnitzer roof spoiler - Carbon Fiber Hamann front lip - NRG Carbon Fiber CSL trunk - Carbon Fiber BMW Roundrels - 6W LED Angel Eye Halos - LED Licence plate bulbs - LCI 3M Clear bra headlights - H&R Sport Springs - Rolled fenders all around - Forgestar F10 20x9F+18 w/2" Step-Lip 20x10.5R+20 w/3.5" Step-Lip Powdercoated @ LAX in L.A., Matte black face, Gloss black rivets, Antique bronze lip - Nexen N3000 Rubberbands F-245/35/zr20 / R-275/30/zr20 - MotorSport Hardware 57mm Extended studs - Chrome/Black Projekt Kicks Lug-nuts - 15% Tint all around - Matte black Tow Hook - Matte black Euro Plates - RS-Type Matte black dual exhaust - RS-Type Aluminum Racing pedals - OEM BMW roof rack. OEM cross bars with 2 OEM bike rails, all Powdercoated matte black From New Year chrome plating in Santa Ana CA, Thule 38" Fairing (not pictured) FUTURE PLANS: - Matte black RPI Scoop - VF Engineering Supercharger - Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Hood - Carbon Fiber Roof - AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber rear Quad Diffuser - AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber roof spoiler - Dinan Carbon Fiber upper strut brace - Carbon Fiber skid plates - Full set of KW V3 Coilovers or Air Ride suspension - H&R Sway bars and Tie bars - Dinan Performance Chip - Full cut and shave of fenders - VIP Garson DAD window curtains - Matte black Quad exhaust system - Color matched Fixie and ///MFEST themed Road bike

glad everything worked out
Old 07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Members

My oil level sensor takes a bit of time to reset itself as well. I think it's a quirk of the '06 builds. I will add a L of oil when prompted to and the sensor will still read low for up to 2-3 days before resetting itself and working normally once again.

Enjoy your new beast!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I have an 06' at about 65000 miles as well. Although mine is a 525i About 6000 miles ago, I got a message on the iDrive that the oil is low. I checked the oil level (stupid that it's not a dipstick) and it was at minimum. I was puzzled and checked my parking spot at home and designated parking spot at work and not a single oil drop. That made me think about the oil guage sticking error I've read about from this forum. So, to play it safe, I added 1/2 quart of oil. I checked the oil level again and the marking showed that it was full after just 1/2 quart. I guess I'll agree that 06' builds have a quirky oil guage. I haven't seen the error since.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad everything worked out. Enjoy your new ride!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PANIC ATTACK! V10 M5, bought, topped up oil, now rattles loud on s