E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Out sniffing around at Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems as tho I tend to get the new car bug after 1 year of ownership - so yesterday I headed out to see "what's out there". Gotta say however that if I could find a 2010 M5, low mileage, fully optioned, in the correct color combo, I'd just as soon trade up to that..

For some reason I am curious about the Porsche Panamera and spotted one on the internet that is adverted by the local Porsche dealer. Stopped there 1st - it was sitting outside on the lot so I walked inside to see what else they had, nothing of interest, then back outside. The car is a Yachting Blue with Blue and Cream interior - nice combo but makes me think it would be my Wife's car. Curiously, no salesman followed me out (too busy reading the newspaper and having coffee..) and the car was locked so I couldn't check-out the inside. So - on down the Freeway to the Mercedes house.

Mercedes dealership is LARGE and they've got a good selection "inside" (was a chilly, damp morning). Only AMG of interest to me and the 1st one I looked at was a C Coupe. A cute, little car - maybe good for a teenaged girl. Looked "cheap" to me. While looking at the Es & Ss I spotted another 2010 Panamera Turbo. Black on Black and a real beauty. Got to really go over it (without driving it) - one bad point is the rear quarter panel "blind spots" for outside visibility when sitting in the driver's seat - not good ! A 4.8L, TT, 500hp engine and the vehicle has the typically very nice Porsche design and finish.

Asking price for these are between $110-$115k and that got me thinking - the new M5's price will be somewhat close to that price and it'll be a 2-3 year newer auto - so.....I'll wait and IF the new M5 ever gets here I'll take a look (but it was good getting outta the house on a chilly, wet winter's morning).

On Edit: did stop at the BMW dealership, walked thru quickly - nothing of interest to me
Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

Mercedes are junk!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 AM
Members

I've not owned a Mercedes but I wouldn't believe they're "junk"
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

I'd take a look at the E63 AMG and the new CLS63 AMG bi-turbo, those are the only two i'd look into if i was buying a benz.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Members

sort of an update to my "sniffing".....(by the way I drive an '08 M5 SMG and love it) saw a 2011 550I "demo" (w/3352 miles) that looked interesting to me so met with a salesman (after speaking with him on the phone). he gave me a pretty good talk-thru on the BMW updates, like the IDrive, hill assist, parking brake, etc. then drove it and was impressed with the torque (I normally drive in the M5s "400" mode so it was about the same, power-wise).

a pretty well appointed car but none of the "M" stuff and not full leather, no HUD (which I love)

then the sit-down for pricing, w/my M5 as a trade: a difference of $35,028.03 after giving me just $35k for my car

overall my M5 is a better car than the 550I, even if the V8tt is 3 years newer. mine is "nicelier" appointed, more fun to drive plus I've still got 2 years left on the CPO'd extended warranty AND extended maintenance plan (which I purchased a year ago) - and, for the $35k difference I could put in a new engine, transmission, wheels and tires (should I ever need to) and still have $s left for a great vacation

so, since this is my weekend and long trip car, I'll keep the M5 - possibly having the front end resprayed to get rid of the road-rash and stone chips after this year's annual drive to the West Coast

oh, and if I ever win the Lottery I'll seriously consider the Porsche Panamera TT..
Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

good choice. the beast cannot be replaced.....except for maybe the F10 M5....but w/o that V10.....it can never truly be called the Beast again lol

on a sidenote: if it were your daily driver, the F10 550 is a smart buy esp if you have it re-flashed by Dinan....i believe it jumps up to 500hp by increasing the psi of the turbos....i dont think i will ever sell my V10....but one day i would love to buy the wife (when i get one) an F10 550i M-Sport reflash it and 'barrow' it all the time lol