E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Opportunity to buy M5 (need opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ky_soldier' post='242271' date='Feb 18 2006, 09:38 AM
CPT, SC
Commanding :-)

After all said and done, what was the final price for you to get your M5 stateside. I know you haven't received it yet, but I'm curious.

--E5 USAF--
Commanding Hopeful
Old 02-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Welcome, and, yes, without any ado at all, this opportunity should not be passed up.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stream' post='241257' date='Feb 16 2006, 01:54 PM
Attached is M5 pricing (invoice and MSRP). $73K for a base M5 is just under invoice, so with shipping & import tax, you're right at invoice.

You will not get anywhere near that price at a US dealer. You can get one at MSRP in a relatively short time frame, but heavy discounting hasn't started yet.
Attachment 15572
Well, yes and no, maybe. My dealer is selling them at invoice. Is what they tell me true--that it is against BMW's official policy to sell BMW's above list? In any case, my dealer does not do so. They sell the "used" M5's that come in way above list--which they say is not contrary to BMW's policy.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Chorethorious' post='242131' date='Feb 17 2006, 09:19 PM
Well, being in the military myself and about to deploy to Iraq in a few months, I have to say that you have a sweet deal. I was actually going to do something the same thing while I am out there. But instead of an M5 I will be looking at an 07 550. If you don't mind the sidetrack, what branch are you in?

To everyone else;
The Military Car Sales offers US Spec vehicles just as you would from your local BMW dealer. So the only thing you have to worry about is the delivery time. You just hope that it is there when you get back from wherever in the world you are. It is an OK way for service members and diplomats to save money on buying some foreign vehicles.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Chorethorious' post='242131' date='Feb 17 2006, 09:19 PM
Well, being in the military myself and about to deploy to Iraq in a few months, I have to say that you have a sweet deal. I was actually going to do something the same thing while I am out there. But instead of an M5 I will be looking at an 07 550. If you don't mind the sidetrack, what branch are you in?

To everyone else;
The Military Car Sales offers US Spec vehicles just as you would from your local BMW dealer. So the only thing you have to worry about is the delivery time. You just hope that it is there when you get back from wherever in the world you are. It is an OK way for service members and diplomats to save money on buying some foreign vehicles.
I'm USMC. We take off for the box in about a week. I've seen a couple of dealers on the west coast selling on the floor for over 100k! It seems to me like a no lose situation except the insurance is bound to be bad. just sold the 545 so the 550 will be a definate backup.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Chorethorious' post='242465' date='Feb 18 2006, 02:49 PM
After all said and done, what was the final price for you to get your M5 stateside. I know you haven't received it yet, but I'm curious.

--E5 USAF--
Commanding Hopeful
It was right at 80k.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Members

My Ride: Undecided 2006 530 or 550, undecided on tranmission either. 2002 Porsche 911 Coupe 2002 325i Premium, Xenon

Originally Posted by tjohns44' post='241254' date='Feb 16 2006, 01:47 PM
I am new to this forum but have monitored it for the last year. A terrific source of info, thanks. I currently own an 05' 545. I am in the military and have the opportunity to buy an M5 through military sales for 73k plus 1,100 for shipping and import taxes. I would also not have to wait on it, the sales company is in Germany and they have a slot for production at any time. I bought my 545 through this service with good results. My question is, is this an opportunity that should not be passed up. I have serched around on the net and have not found any prices for someone walking in the dealership and buying or how long they would have to wait on it. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
I did the same thing except through the diplomatic sales program for the same price. What hasn't been mention on this thread is that you can bypass paying the gas guzzler tax. I know thats hard to believe. I'm assuming you are buying it directly from BMW Germany & bypassing BMWNA which means the car will be delivered to you(or you can pick it up) directly from the port. That's another $3700 savings to you!

Just make sure it is a US spec & that BMWNA will cover the warranty & maintenance on the car. Also be sure to alert BMWNA when your arrives so it can be registered for BMW Assist, 1 yr. free Sirius service,& more importantly 4 yrs, 50K warranty & free maintenance. Since I bought my through a BMW dealer, my SA did all that including registration on the car.

Some minor inconvenience, but you can't go wrong for that price. Good luck on your decision!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sixsticks' post='244978' date='Feb 23 2006, 02:43 PM
I did the same thing except through the diplomatic sales program for the same price. What hasn't been mention on this thread is that you can bypass paying the gas guzzler tax. I know thats hard to believe. I'm assuming you are buying it directly from BMW Germany & bypassing BMWNA which means the car will be delivered to you(or you can pick it up) directly from the port. That's another $3700 savings to you!

Just make sure it is a US spec & that BMWNA will cover the warranty & maintenance on the car. Also be sure to alert BMWNA when your arrives so it can be registered for BMW Assist, 1 yr. free Sirius service,& more importantly 4 yrs, 50K warranty & free maintenance. Since I bought my through a BMW dealer, my SA did all that including registration on the car.

Some minor inconvenience, but you can't go wrong for that price. Good luck on your decision!
This is going through Pentagon Auto sales and they go through BMWNA. Is there another purchase route? I'm already trying to find a way to dodge sales tax. Dodging gas guzzler tax would be sweet!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Members

My Ride: Undecided 2006 530 or 550, undecided on tranmission either. 2002 Porsche 911 Coupe 2002 325i Premium, Xenon

Originally Posted by tjohns44' post='245029' date='Feb 23 2006, 06:25 PM
This is going through Pentagon Auto sales and they go through BMWNA. Is there another purchase route? I'm already trying to find a way to dodge sales tax. Dodging gas guzzler tax would be sweet!
Yes, that would be through BMW Direct Sales but you need to have a diplomatic passport to avail of the program. My wife works for the World bank in Wash. DC so I used her credentials to buy my M5. Your price is identical to mine so take advantage of it.

Sorry, can't help you with the sales tax, I had to pay it to register the car in Virginia. One way would be to register it in Delaware which doesn't require any sales tax. I was thrilled about not paying the guzzler tax cause I was ready to pay it. If I had known that I could have added a few more options to the car.

Its a good deal, go for it!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Members

I purchased my wife's 06 525 through the military program last summer. This program is totally regulated by BMWNA. In fact, while I was in Germany and was able to see and sit in a M5 and M6 in the German showroom, I couldn't even get a price for the US version M5 because the price hadn't been released for the states yet. It was not like I was going to get one, but I wanted a base line for my dreams.
I said that to say you don't have to worry about alerting anyone or worring about the warranty. Everything will be in the system. They also won't sell you a German spec car through this program if you plan to bring it to the states.
You are not going to beat that pricing anywhere in the states for a while. And since the prices in the program are fixed, it is not like you will get a better deal later. So go ahead and pull the trigger and keep your head down while your over there.

Quick Reply: Opportunity to buy M5 (need opinions)