E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Oil Overill and Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an oilchange and the dealership over-filled the car which is reading 1.5L, the manual cautions against this. Is the caution about engine damage from this a serious concern? What kind of damage?

As well, I reported a harmonic vibration at about 40 kph. The dealership says it is the tires, but I doubt their diagnosis. There is only 18,000 km on these tires and plenty of tread left and no feathering visible. Because the vibration seems harmonic in nature, I suspect something more sinister such as bearing or drive-train issues. I hesitate to pay for new tires if this is not the cause. Any other M-5 owners have this happen, if so what was the cause? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well mine isnt a M5... but the same thing happened to me. DUDE is it really THAT hard to do an oil change? Oh and guess what ever since this happened they under filled my oil the past 2 times I took it in... I kept getting the oil level too low on the drive back home. LOL they probably got too scared and didnt want to over fill any car anymore. The thread is not that long if you want to read it all... but at least read the first post and post #38. Post #29 was where I diagnosed the problem with the Head Tech.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=225647

But so far now there seems to be no problems that I can see... the car is still running fine. *knock on wood 545 times* This was over 1.5 years ago. At least this will give you some sense of relief.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5 Silverstone II full black leather (not extended) most UK options but no through loading sadly

Oil overfill is just poor work standards, someone was either careless or in too much of a hurry. Not having a dipstick means you cannot successfully rush this operation.
The electronic level device means you have to take time to let the level register before you get a true reading.
The 1200 mile oil change on my car took longer than expected because my service tech took care not to overfill and to get it right.
But once you are within the gauge reading range you can easily calculate the final addition of oil.

The vibration you speak of could be tire generated.
My M5 has not done it but I had a 330 Ci coupe which made a very audible vibration from the rear of the car at 30 mph over some surfaces.
That was particularly annoying as this speed is the town limit speed. Changing the rear tyre to the spacesaver on one side made it much less.
Changing both rear tyres (75% worn) cured the problem.

Good luck.