E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Oh the Dilemma....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Close to ordering 2008 550i Sport Packg w/ sport auto tran. Previous owner of 2000 328i and 2003 E39 M5

Hey all,

I'm a previous owner of:

2000 328i
2003 E39 M5

I could not have loved those two cars more. The E39 was heaven on wheels and I wish that I still had it. No other cars that I have driven, including the E55, Porsche 911 T, Audi S6, or S-Class can compare to an M5 in my opinion.

Its time for a new car for me soon and I have been relentlessly researching the right car.

Its narrowed to:

2008 E60 M5 SMG > 6MT
2008 E63 AMG
2008 550i

I have a few questions for the board. Please forgive my insanely detailed questions but I am a fanatic when it comes to this.

1. My 1st choice is obviously the M5. I do drive alot of miles but mostly in highway but also around Miami. I just test drove the SMG M5 and while the most comfortable D setting was still a lil jerky, it certainly wasnt any worse of a "jerk" than if you were dropping your left foot. I didnt get a chance to really drive the car in S5 and certainly not S6 but the paddles were very nice. How is the SMG for commuting and for passengers? I will use S mode almost 100% of the time. Love to shift.

1A. I need more impressions about the SMG. I do not plan on driving it in D mode except for heavy traffic. The SMG, while is impressive technology, causes me just a wee bit hesitation. I drive my cars they way there supposed to be driven but no track for me. yet!

2. Any complaints about not being able to COMPLETELY disengage the 6 Speed M5? Can yo get squirrely at all? I know from my E39 that when DSC is on and you drop the clutch from a stop, it just vibrates and you go no where. What are the impressions of the 6 speed witht he tranny nanny? Any aftermarket rumors of Disengagable DSC?

3. The 550i. When I tested it, it was nice and smooth but I felt a pause (gallop) when I mashed the throttle and it didnt leave a good impression on me. I also didnt test it on a highway, etc. So no 30-100's or 50 to 80 tests. How is this car on overall performance?

I drive 15-20K a year so the expense of gas could be a bit high on the M5 but that doesnt really matter.

Thanks for all/any help. I look forward to being a part of this board.

-Ray
Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SSBaronM5' post='444217' date='Jul 6 2007, 04:44 PM
Hey all,
I'm a previous owner of:

2000 328i
2003 E39 M5

I could not have loved those two cars more. The E39 was heaven on wheels and I wish that I still had it. No other cars that I have driven, including the E55, Porsche 911 T, Audi S6, or S-Class can compare to an M5 in my opinion.

Its time for a new car for me soon and I have been relentlessly researching the right car.

Its narrowed to:

2008 E60 M5 SMG > 6MT
2008 E63 AMG
2008 550i

I have a few questions for the board. Please forgive my insanely detailed questions but I am a fanatic when it comes to this.

1. My 1st choice is obviously the M5. I do drive alot of miles but mostly in highway but also around Miami. I just test drove the SMG M5 and while the most comfortable D setting was still a lil jerky, it certainly wasnt any worse of a "jerk" than if you were dropping your left foot. I didnt get a chance to really drive the car in S5 and certainly not S6 but the paddles were very nice. How is the SMG for commuting and for passengers? I will use S mode almost 100% of the time. Love to shift.
1A. I need more impressions about the SMG. I do not plan on driving it in D mode except for heavy traffic. The SMG, while is impressive technology, causes me just a wee bit hesitation. I drive my cars they way there supposed to be driven but no track for me. yet!

2. Any complaints about not being able to COMPLETELY disengage the 6 Speed M5? Can yo get squirrely at all? I know from my E39 that when DSC is on and you drop the clutch from a stop, it just vibrates and you go no where. What are the impressions of the 6 speed witht he tranny nanny? Any aftermarket rumors of Disengagable DSC?

3. The 550i. When I tested it, it was nice and smooth but I felt a pause (gallop) when I mashed the throttle and it didnt leave a good impression on me. I also didnt test it on a highway, etc. So no 30-100's or 50 to 80 tests. How is this car on overall performance?

I drive 15-20K a year so the expense of gas could be a bit high on the M5 but that doesnt really matter.

Thanks for all/any help. I look forward to being a part of this board.

-Ray
Do not get the M5 if you're planning on driving it in D mode. Its not smooth and its a waste. D mode is there just in case your wife drives it. The paddles are very easy to learn and makes driving it a blast. No comparison. A stick can't match the shifts. On early models though there were some SMG issues that have been resolved. Traffic and around town is also a breeze with the paddles. 6 speed is a comprimize if you positively need to have a stick. Especially since DSC cannot be disengaged completely.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

The e60 ///M5 SMG is an awesome car, in D mode the car shifts fine (not sure what the other poster 905 was talking about?) and it does drives smoothly, much more smoothly than the e46 ///M3s SMGs.

Our dealership owner had the first 6spd ///M5 delivery and he says the DSC couldn't be completely 100% be turned off but other than that it's also a fine car.

I have an 07 550i and I love it, no problems whatsoever and no regrets here, well maybe sometimes I wish I had gotten a manual, but that's about it.

As for the e39 ///M5, that's still my favorite style ///M5 and I actually thought about selling off my lease and picking one up.

In your case, I'd say go for the e60 ///M5 SMG, although I would probably get it in the stick, who the hell cares if the SMG shifts faster yada yada, it's just being able to be more involved with the car and the drive.

D
Old 07-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Members

It's great reading this.. I am in the same boat. I have a 06 550I 6 speed.. I traded in my 03 540 6 speed for it last year. I have been a BMW lover for ever and i have always wanted something very powerful and different. The 550 is such a classy car. But I really want that M5.. And i have the money to do it so why not? Well is it worth about another 35K for 2 more cylinders and 100HP? I love these cars....
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SSBaronM5' post='444217' date='Jul 6 2007, 04:44 PM
You will never feel shorted by the 550i Sport from 30-100 or 50-80 sprints. The power is smooth and endless on that engine. Overall performance wise, you will hear some E39 M5 owners claim that the 550i Sport is nearly the equal to the old M5.

Yes, with an auto tranny you can get some hesitation ... but not in manual mode. And the new sports auto tranny as an option on the 2008 550i Sport should go a long way towards a more perfect driving experience.

Go read comments from M5 owners here and on the M5Board and you will be hard pressed to find any E60 M5 owner who has regretted getting that beast ... and most of them will tell you that the E60 is worlds beyond their old E39 M5.

Bottom line - just go for the M5.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll make it easy for you -- get the M5 with the SMG. All jerkiness will go away with practice. You may also find that you won't ever use automatic mode, even in traffic. Remember why manuals suck in traffic in the first place -- the left foot!

Traffic or not, the SMG is a joy to own and drive!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Close to ordering 2008 550i Sport Packg w/ sport auto tran. Previous owner of 2000 328i and 2003 E39 M5

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='444270' date='Jul 6 2007, 08:50 PM
I'll make it easy for you -- get the M5 with the SMG. All jerkiness will go away with practice. You may also find that you won't ever use automatic mode, even in traffic. Remember why manuals suck in traffic in the first place -- the left foot!

Traffic or not, the SMG is a joy to own and drive!

This is exactly what I figured. I wont even use D mode. I am going to get the M5 for sure.

Is there any reason to cry about the M5's low end torque taht everyone seems to mention? Is it even an issue? I would think that you could just make for that with the throttle.

This car pulls real nice from a start..does it not?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Torquey5' post='444233' date='Jul 6 2007, 05:29 PM
In your case, I'd say go for the e60 ///M5 SMG, although I would probably get it in the stick, who the hell cares if the SMG shifts faster yada yada, it's just being able to be more involved with the car and the drive.

D
You'd regret it. The car was designed for SMG. Its not the same experience if you want a staight automatic or a stick.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SSBaronM5' post='444273' date='Jul 6 2007, 08:17 PM
This is exactly what I figured. I wont even use D mode. I am going to get the M5 for sure.

Is there any reason to cry about the M5's low end torque taht everyone seems to mention? Is it even an issue? I would think that you could just make for that with the throttle.

This car pulls real nice from a start..does it not?
It all a matter of perspective. If you're into mods the 3.91 diff adds low end torque and pulleys are in inexpensive way to add Hp and Torque. The stock setup is fine though and is a blast.
(Ps. don't forget about springs and aftermarket wheels!)
Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Originally Posted by 905' post='444283' date='Jul 6 2007, 09:36 PM
You'd regret it. The car was designed for SMG. Its not the same experience if you want a staight automatic or a stick.

Most of the people that buy these ///M5s will never see a track to use the car to it's full potential. So even though the SMG is designed for this car what does it matter right? The stick is available out there for those who like to use all 4 limbs (such as me) to shift the car because it's a different driving experience. You even said it: "it's not the same experience", which is what I'm trying to get across as well. Bottom line is that it's all a matter of preference, and both trannies have their + and - s.

D

Quick Reply: Oh the Dilemma....