E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Newb question regarding driving programs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 / M5 Space Gray / Indie Red Interior SMG Comfort Rear and side shades ect...

Are the driving programs 1-6 available only in "M" mode?
I've read the manual and especially those portions and it wasnt clear enough to me.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by floridaBMW' post='456703' date='Aug 8 2007, 05:06 PM
Are the driving programs 1-6 available only in "M" mode?
I've read the manual and especially those portions and it wasnt clear enough to me.

Id like to know how to even program driving modes or use the M mode. Is it just in vehicle settings or something?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 / M5 Space Gray / Indie Red Interior SMG Comfort Rear and side shades ect...

Alright after some research on the M5Board I think its a little more clear. I was just a bit confused on the exact purpose of the "M" button and its relationship with the driving programs. From what I understand it is merely one specific driving program you wish call up without having to engage the the power button, DSC, EDC, seat bolster ect.....

My wife keeps saying "How many times are you going to read that manual!" HA!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5 Silverstone II full black leather (not extended) most UK options but no through loading sadly

Originally Posted by floridaBMW' post='456840' date='Aug 9 2007, 03:44 AM
Alright after some research on the M5Board I think its a little more clear. I was just a bit confused on the exact purpose of the "M" button and its relationship with the driving programs. From what I understand it is merely one specific driving program you wish call up without having to engage the the power button, DSC, EDC, seat bolster ect.....

My wife keeps saying "How many times are you going to read that manual!" HA!
The driving programs for the M5 are simple to use, but complicated to explain. I'll give it a go, but feel free to ask if anything is not clear.

The programs are all selected using a rocker button next to the gear lever, clicking on the right side of it moves the programs up from 1 to 5 in the Drivelogic and 1 to 5 in the sequential manual change mode. Pressing the left side moves the setting down. The setting obtained is visible on the instrument display - see attached picture.
Drivelogic is the autochange option, Sequential expects you to input the changes, but will protect you from erroneous choices. Over-revving and stalling the engine are programmed out.

After you turn the ignition off the Drivelogic setting reverts to 1, the sequential stays where you left it.
Setting 6 is only available in sequential mode and by using the M button and ithat turns off the DSC too.

Setting 1 is the lazy relaxed change setting, 6 is so quick it upsets some passengers by its sharpness, it always makes them nod their heads if they are not ready, one claimed she thought it might break her neck, in her case sadly she was wrong.

I normally use 3 or 4, because setting 1 irritates me personally by the slow changing up and slow response to the throttle. It is good on ice however.

The car normally operates in P400 (400 bhp) to use P500 (500 bhp) or P500 Sport (500 bhp with sharper throttle response) one presses the steering wheel "M" button.

Exactly what the M button does depends on your choices in the I-Drive menu. It can call up stiffer dampers, P500 or P500 Sport and the change settings too.
I keep mine on change 5, P500 Sport and the Sport (firmest) damper stting.

I usually drive with the M button off, and put it on again for overtakes or for driving alone or enthusiastically. It is so easy to select and deselect on the steering wheel.
Think of it like a fighter pilot's afterburner selector, when you really need the boost - dial M.

The attached picture shows Drivelogic the "autochange" selected, the large D, the number 2 shows the car is in second gear, it normally starts in second with the change selector on 1. The single vertical bar lit in the display shows the change selector is in 1 this time.

You might also note the rev limit is reduced to 6+K revs because the oil temp is only just off the 50 degree mark- the yellow and red coloured bars move round the display as the engine warms to give 8250 rpm.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Members

Appreciate the input M500 AED, I did some research on the M5Board and was able to clear up most of my confusion.

I like the fighter pilot reference, this car really is an animal when in full battle regalia.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by M500 AED' post='460588' date='Aug 20 2007, 06:15 PM
The driving programs for the M5 are simple to use, but complicated to explain. I'll give it a go, but feel free to ask if anything is not clear.

The programs are all selected using a rocker button next to the gear lever, clicking on the right side of it moves the programs up from 1 to 5 in the Drivelogic and 1 to 5 in the sequential manual change mode. Pressing the left side moves the setting down. The setting obtained is visible on the instrument display - see attached picture.
Drivelogic is the autochange option, Sequential expects you to input the changes, but will protect you from erroneous choices. Over-revving and stalling the engine are programmed out.

After you turn the ignition off the Drivelogic setting reverts to 1, the sequential stays where you left it.
Setting 6 is only available in sequential mode and by using the M button and ithat turns off the DSC too.

Setting 1 is the lazy relaxed change setting, 6 is so quick it upsets some passengers by its sharpness, it always makes them nod their heads if they are not ready, one claimed she thought it might break her neck, in her case sadly she was wrong.

I normally use 3 or 4, because setting 1 irritates me personally by the slow changing up and slow response to the throttle. It is good on ice however.

The car normally operates in P400 (400 bhp) to use P500 (500 bhp) or P500 Sport (500 bhp with sharper throttle response) one presses the steering wheel "M" button.

Exactly what the M button does depends on your choices in the I-Drive menu. It can call up stiffer dampers, P500 or P500 Sport and the change settings too.
I keep mine on change 5, P500 Sport and the Sport (firmest) damper stting.

I usually drive with the M button off, and put it on again for overtakes or for driving alone or enthusiastically. It is so easy to select and deselect on the steering wheel.
Think of it like a fighter pilot's afterburner selector, when you really need the boost - dial M.

The attached picture shows Drivelogic the "autochange" selected, the large D, the number 2 shows the car is in second gear, it normally starts in second with the change selector on 1. The single vertical bar lit in the display shows the change selector is in 1 this time.

You might also note the rev limit is reduced to 6+K revs because the oil temp is only just off the 50 degree mark- the yellow and red coloured bars move round the display as the engine warms to give 8250 rpm.

Ok so to get S6 working you have to hit the M mode then manually adjust to S6?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='461477' date='Aug 22 2007, 05:43 PM
Ok so to get S6 working you have to hit the M mode then manually adjust to S6?
The S6 program is only available when you turn DSC off. "M" is merely the button you can press to call up all of your favorite settings (P400/500/500S, EDC comfort to sport, DSC on or off, Active seats, M HUD view).
Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

Gotcha. I just did the 1200 svc today, now I don't feel like im playing with a virgin no more. A week and a half ago I realized where the M button was im so lazy
Old 08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='461502' date='Aug 22 2007, 06:54 PM
Gotcha. I just did the 1200 svc today, now I don't feel like im playing with a virgin no more. A week and a half ago I realized where the M button was im so lazy
This car REQUIRES imo a read and re-read of the manual. Program M in ur IDrive.

Just had my 1200 svc last Friday, and then got her sideways!!!!!! Loving it, congrats btw.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I guess it's different in the UK but for US cars, upon start up, the default is S3 and P400.

There are different buttons to independently adjust different programs for the car. The driving programs go from S1 to S6 but S6 can only be selected if you've selected P500S through the I-Drive settings. Someone's said you can also select S6 from the button near the shifter if you've turned DSC off but I haven't tried it.

M-Drive button is programmed through I-Drive and allows you to choose up to somewhere around 279 different combinations of EDC, DSC, Power, Shift modes..etc.. I have my M button set to the max (P500S, S6, DSC off, EDC sport, M-view, Multifunction seats at highest setting..etc..). Be careful with this "after burner" option. I remember the first time I pressed it and floored it at a light and the car almost went sideways... haha It's a huge adrenaline rush though.

Normally, I drive the car in the default settings in P400 and S3 until she warms up and depending on traffic, I'll usually go to P500 and S5. EDC is always in middle mode at Normal.

Quick Reply: Newb question regarding driving programs