E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

New Jersey Dealers Quoting 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few people on other boards are claiming they are taking delivery of M5's in November that they just put a deposit on last month. I'm having a hard time with this, partly because I've been on the list for such a long time, and partly because I had hoped BMW would maintain a little more exclusivity. Anyone here heard about '3 month orders'?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Yep--NJ dealer I spoke to the other day had week 41 (10/10) production available at MSRP. There definitely are slots available at MSRP without long waits if you don't limit yourself to local dealers. The Sep/Oct/Nov allocations are big. The question is will they stay at that level...and folks are dropping off lists, to wait for manual trans or for other reasons.

If you look at what Mercedes has done with the AMG models, I wouldn't count on too much exclusivity for the M5 or M3.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:23 AM
Members

New AutoWeek classifieds has someone selling a Indy Red M5 for $5K of MSRP
Old 09-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Can you say which dealer/dealers it was? You can PM me about it. I am close by in NY and my waiting time is approx. 6 months. Odd since we have similar climates and such.

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Sep 29 2005, 06:22 PM
A few people on other boards are claiming they are taking delivery of M5's in November that they just put a deposit on last month.? I'm having a hard time with this, partly because I've been on the list for such a long time, and partly because I had hoped BMW would maintain a little more exclusivity.? Anyone here heard about '3 month orders'?
[snapback]177164[/snapback]
Old 10-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' date='Sep 30 2005, 04:17 PM
Can you say which dealer/dealers it was? You can PM me about it. I am close by in NY and my waiting time is approx. 6 months. Odd since we have similar climates and such.

C[quote name='wolverine' date='Sep 29 2005, 06:22 PM']A few people on other boards are claiming they are taking delivery of M5's in November that they just put a deposit on last month.? I'm having a hard time with this, partly because I've been on the list for such a long time, and partly because I had hoped BMW would maintain a little more exclusivity.? Anyone here heard about '3 month orders'?
[snapback]177534[/snapback]
[/quote]

Supposedly if you 'call around' you can get a car delivered Dec/January. Frankly I don't believe it, but a few people on other boards are saying it's so. Only one specific dealer mentioned so far - try Newport BMW in RI.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Oct 1 2005, 08:14 AM
[quote name='Stealthblue' date='Sep 30 2005, 04:17 PM']Can you say which dealer/dealers it was? You can PM me about it. I am close by in NY and my waiting time is approx. 6 months. Odd since we have similar climates and such.

C[quote name='wolverine' date='Sep 29 2005, 06:22 PM']A few people on other boards are claiming they are taking delivery of M5's in November that they just put a deposit on last month.? I'm having a hard time with this, partly because I've been on the list for such a long time, and partly because I had hoped BMW would maintain a little more exclusivity.? Anyone here heard about '3 month orders'?
[/quote]

Supposedly if you 'call around' you can get a car delivered Dec/January. Frankly I don't believe it, but a few people on other boards are saying it's so. Only one specific dealer mentioned so far - try Newport BMW in RI.
[snapback]177683[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I called the BMW dealer in Newport RI, just to see what's up. Here's the conversation:

me: I hear you guys are able to get the new M5 without much of a wait
dealer: Yep, that's right. We can get you one within a couple months.
me: That's terrific, how many people do you have on the list?
dealer: oh, we've got a few
me: well, what's your allocation?
dealer: we're getting 10 cars
me: you mean you have less than 10 people on the list?
dealer: yeah
me: are you selling at MSRP?
dealer: no, $20K over
me: well, I want to pay list
dealer: if you lease it from us, you can pay MSRP
me: why is that?
dealer: we don't want people buying the car, then selling it on ebay for a profit
me: then there must be pretty high demand for the car
dealer: yeah, why don't you lease it from us?
me: bye

Maybe some people are not giving us the straight story. Looks like demand is still pretty high.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2002 325i - SOLD 2006 525i - PCD in August '05 1999 CVPI - My work car

I was at my dealership yesterday to ask about the CIP update for my car. (Which I bought there a few months ago). I saw my SA and asked her about the M5. She said they had a possible allocation or two before the end of the year and that they are not asking a premium and if I was serious, she could work with the managers for me in making a better deal than MSRP. I am going back on Monday to find out what she meant! (My dad is also interested in buying an X3 so she would get about 3 sales from my family in 6 months if I go for the M5)
Old 10-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Oct 1 2005, 07:43 AM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Oct 1 2005, 08:14 AM'][quote name='Stealthblue' date='Sep 30 2005, 04:17 PM']Can you say which dealer/dealers it was? You can PM me about it. I am close by in NY and my waiting time is approx. 6 months. Odd since we have similar climates and such.

[/quote]

[snapback]177683[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I called the BMW dealer in Newport RI, just to see what's up. Here's the conversation:

me: I hear you guys are able to get the new M5 without much of a wait
dealer: Yep, that's right. We can get you one within a couple months.
me: That's terrific, how many people do you have on the list?
dealer: oh, we've got a few
me: well, what's your allocation?
dealer: we're getting 10 cars
me: you mean you have less than 10 people on the list?
dealer: yeah
me: are you selling at MSRP?
dealer: no, $20K over
me: well, I want to pay list
dealer: if you lease it from us, you can pay MSRP
me: why is that?
dealer: we don't want people buying the car, then selling it on ebay for a profit
dealer: yeah, why don't you lease it from us?
me: bye

Maybe some people are not giving us the straight story. Looks like demand is still pretty high.
[snapback]177691[/snapback]
[/quote]

The supply/demand balance (or lack thereof--either way) varies by location. Here in the SF bay area, most dealers are asking for premiums--some crazy like $30K--we'll see how long that lasts (or if they even get them after the first 1 or 2 cars go to people with more money than brains), and most dealers have (or at least claim to have) long lists. About a month ago I spent an hour or so on the phone and could have gotten Sep/Oct/Nov slots (varied by dealer) from dealers in NJ, FL, RI, NH, MA & IL. Even at one large bay area dealer I could have gotten a Nov. slot at $5K premium, which for a new car in this market is pretty quick.

If somebody is serious about paying MSRP for a car and not waiting, I suggest you get on the phone and call a bunch of dealers outside of the crazy markets, and speak to the sales manager or GM--they're the ones who really know how long a list they have and how many allocations they have available.

I can tell you that the initial allocations have been quite large--most dealers I've spoken to admitted they're getting much larger allocations than they expected (based on E39 M5 experience). These are expensive cars and the economy isn't what it was back in 1999. And a few dealers who were willing to discuss it, said that anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the people at the top of their lists opted to wait for the manual trans.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

A 10 car allocation (for the rest of the year I pressume) IS pretty high in comparable terms. The dealer I am dealing with is just recieving one car per month. I believe demand is indeed high (in most markets). I am willing to wait a bit since it is convenient for the car to skip the winter. But it is nice to have an option nonetheless.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Oct 1 2005, 07:43 AM

I agree! Not to the lease part but I HATE people selling the cars for profit! It makes those of us who are serious of buying have to wait extra long!