E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

New to board

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 all option (except soft close doors)

I just picked up my M5 today ! Black on black with black powder coated rimes (all options except soft close doors - pics to come). I want to MOD the intakes, ECU, and pulley. I'm not looking at headers or exhaust. What torque gains can be expected for all three MODs and what company makes the best ECU flash??

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 all option (except soft close doors)

Some pics I took today - I'll tell you no matter how long I spend cleaning this color it is dirty in 5 minutes or less.

New to board-dsc01139.jpg
New to board-dsc01138.jpg
New to board-dsc01137.jpg
Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

looking pretty mean with the black powder coated wheels, congrats on your new acquisition. to the forum Doc. Good luck with all your mods...
Old 03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

You might as well black-out the grille. I am surprised it wasn't already done by prior owner. I am not a fan of all-black rims, especially the 166's. It's just overkill, IMHO...but as long as you like it...
Old 03-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='545892' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:57 PM
You might as well black-out the grille. I am surprised it wasn't already done by prior owner. I am not a fan of all-black rims, especially the 166's. It's just overkill, IMHO...but as long as you like it...

it seems the docs to not concur....
Old 03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

nice beast. welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

Car looks great! +1 on the all-black
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

congrats. Best of luck. IMO black on black (rims) is a bit too much for me, but thats just me.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Contributors

Doc!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Welcome to the forum Doc!

Here are some suggestions on the mods you've inquired about:

1) Intake:
a. Gruppe M - Carbon fiber intake. Not sure what the published gain is and it's pretty pricey at over $2K if I recall.
b. K&N Typhoon - early adapters had gotten a lot of Check Engine Light and I'm not sure if they've fixed this problem. I think it's around $450.
c. RPI Ram Air Scoops from Race Precision Inc. - These are essentially two scoops mounted behind the kidney grilles to redirect air into the factory intake tubes. They are probably the most cost effective intake system out there. Combined with the BMC Filters, they have shown gains from 15hp-22hp AT THE WHEELS!. The scoops themselves are only $200 and I think with the BMCs they're about $275.
d. Dinan is supposedly coming out with an intake system in the next couple months with projected gains of about 20-25hp and I think the cost is about $2K...not sure yet.

2) ECU: There are a ton of companies with software for the M5. I'll list some of the more popular ones.
a. Active Autowerke - Seems like a lot of folks on the M5Board are using AA software
b. Turner Motorsports
c. Dinan Stage 1 and 2 depending on if you have the throttle bodies or not
d. RDSport EMS - This is what I have an I love it. I immediately felt improvement in power even though there's not much to wring out of these NA engines. It also felt like the car spooled up faster and the revs and speed just seems to be quicker.
e. ESS Tuning - I think they're offering a group buy for this now. I've seen someone posted before and after dynos on M5Board showing real gains. Unfortunately I don't remember the numbers.
f. DMS - European based company very popular over there.
g. Evosport - I think they have two stages and the second being for cars equipped with their headers.

3) Pulley:
a. Evosport - They were the first to go to market with this mod and had shown dynographs of gains up to 24hp and 30lb-ft at the wheels. They recently lowered their price from $700 to $450 probably due to new competition in the market.
b. RPI - They just came out with their version and it's supposedly lighter (not sure what that means for performance) and it's also aluminum in color to match the factory pulley for a more stealth, OEM look. Price is $455.
c. RDSport also just released a pulley sytem and I think it's about $700. As with most or all RDSport products, they're made in Italy.

Hope those suggestion help with your decision. May I also suggest some suspension mods? I personally think the M5 could still use improvements in this area and the mods I've added to my car has greatly improved her handling characteristics. The car is flat and neutral.

Again, congrats on the new BEAST!!