E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Is my M5 a lemon????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Well, I got my M5 in the fall and last week I was driving along and the engine light went on and it flashed several warnings so I pulled over and called my BMW service department and they said it would be fine to drive it over to them. So the next day they called and said it was a problem with the computer and they fixed it and I could come and pick up the car. So, I commented that I only had the car for a few months and he assured me that just like your computer crashes at home your car computer can crash!!!??????? LAME ANSWER!!!!!!! So of course I got it home and the light came back on and said "increased emissions". So, I dropped it back off and they said they called BMW (I thought they were BMW?) and they said to replace the throttle and of course that didn't work either so now days later of them having my car and me missing precious driving time they said BMW said they are going to try and replace something else and they will call me. Just wondering if anyone had some input on the matter and should I be worrying that I got a lemon?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Sorry to hear about all the problems with your car. There is a chance you did get a lemon although I haven't heard of such cases with the later build M5s; they were more common with the early build 06s. I certainly hope they're onto the last problem and will get it fixed for you soon and that you've worked through your share of bad luck with this car and she'll be trouble free going forward. Worse case scenario is that they'll do a buy back and offer you an awesome deal on a 2009 model.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

My "increased emissions" light came on constantly for a month. I finally had BMW replace the O2 sensors (There are 4 or 6 on the M5) and the car has been perfect ever since. Have them swap the O2 sensors.

One thing I will point out is that the first dealership I went to, was told by BMW NA that a program reflash was necessary. Meanwhile, my local mechanic told me it was an O2 sensor from the start. However, this dealership said local mechanics don't know anything and not to worry. Well, 2 reflashes later and the car still had warning signs come up, including "increased emissions". I finally took it to another dealer and they swapped the O2 sensors, per my request, and the car has been fine ever since.

Hope this helps, as this sounds similar to what happened to me.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Members

I don't know where your at but I bought the Peake code reader for my '06 M5 and it seams to work perfectly!

If your around Los Angeles and have 5 mins Send me a PM

Gabe
Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Well, I just got a call from BMW saying my car was ready and they are sure the problem was the idle actuator.....hopfully this is it!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='840470' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:26 AM
My "increased emissions" light came on constantly for a month. I finally had BMW replace the O2 sensors (There are 4 or 6 on the M5) and the car has been perfect ever since. Have them swap the O2 sensors.
C is 100% correct... I had this same problem (in my 545) and had my O2 sensors replaced and everything is fine. Set up an appt. asap...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Any news Toni???
Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Members

My car suddenly started having these issues a few weeks ago, it would rev limit to 3000rpm or so, and there were many errors, dsc disabled etc. I took it to the dealer the same day, they held it for a few days, said they upgraded all the software and everything would be fine. It was fine for a week but the errors have all come up again. At least this time it came up while I was starting the car in the driveway and not while i was on the road.

Originally Posted by Toni' post='840326' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:31 AM
Well, I got my M5 in the fall and last week I was driving along and the engine light went on and it flashed several warnings so I pulled over and called my BMW service department and they said it would be fine to drive it over to them. So the next day they called and said it was a problem with the computer and they fixed it and I could come and pick up the car. So, I commented that I only had the car for a few months and he assured me that just like your computer crashes at home your car computer can crash!!!??????? LAME ANSWER!!!!!!! So of course I got it home and the light came back on and said "increased emissions". So, I dropped it back off and they said they called BMW (I thought they were BMW?) and they said to replace the throttle and of course that didn't work either so now days later of them having my car and me missing precious driving time they said BMW said they are going to try and replace something else and they will call me. Just wondering if anyone had some input on the matter and should I be worrying that I got a lemon?
Attached Thumbnails Is my M5 a lemon????-wtf.jpg  
Old 06-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

....lemon law...?

Quick Reply: Is my M5 a lemon????