E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

My day driving M5's at racetrack

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

Though I'd share my adventures the other day of blasting around a racetrack in some of BMW's finest machinery.

I got an invite to test drive the new M5 under the guise of "Driver Training" at a major race track. The dealer had only a few places so I was pretty rapt to be offered the chance.

Had no real idea of what to expect other than seeing an M5 up close for the first time. (they are only just being launched here in Oz)

We sat down in a group of 18, one of three groups for the day, and learnt a little about the different settings and styles of driving the M5 can handle. To say it was a bit daunting was an understatement.... but then, that's why you get to drive it.

Next came Geoff Brabham who asked us NOT to play with the DSC buttons (slightly wet track/varying abilities) and he explained the general rules and the fact that he would be doing some hot laps where we would be passengers.

Downstairs and like bees to honey most people raced to the M5's. Some of us (wiser?) heads thought we'd drive the 'lesser' cars to get the feel for the track and step up in performance gradually. Two to a car and swap drivers after 2 laps (each) then on to the next car.

The format consisted of a pace car showing the line and 'towing' 3 cars around, followed by another pace car (M3's) for the next group. If you were tidy and keeping up then the pace would pick up.

By chance I ended up in this to start with as a passenger. My impressions of it had been 'luxo barge' due to the market it is targeted at. How wrong I was! Within half a lap of my stint my impressions and respect had grown. You could tip it in at speed to a tight bend and get on the gas and power out. The car behind us couldn't keep up on the straights and the whole time it felt like I was sitting in a comfy chair.

Have driven the 645 before and it had by far the sexiest engine note. I felt it had a bit of understeer into the same corners than the 750 (or was I getting gamer?) but it easily carried more corner speed and I was able to not get too badly blown off by the 750 in the drag stakes.

I have not been a fan of the latest 5 series looks although after seeing the recent shots of a 530D with sport kit was a little curious to see how it went, as the very next car to drive would be the M5. Good power, very neutral through the corners if a little soft, yet was surprisingly smooth and quick. In comparison to most sedans on the road I can see why it is a winner in the handling stakes as it gives you real confidence. It could easily do with more power........

M5
WOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!! within the first few corners you can see that this is a VERY,VERY special car. We started off with all systems on normal (DSC on, EDC/suspension on standard, low power mode) yet back to back against the 545 it accelerated with just masses of smooth power and flatter corner attitude. Hit the first corner at speed and the appropriate side seat bolster presses in to hold you in place against the G forces (a pleasant surprise).

Get on the gas out of the corner and it just keeps on accelerating without the usual dips or drop off in the power curve. This thing is so well geared and thought out that it really makes it fun.

Speaking of gearing, I have never driven an SMG paddle shift before let alone Heads Up Display and so many modes that I was a little nervous trying to worry about changing gears at the right time and cornering properly at speed.

Not to worry! Change down too early and the box senses an overspeed problem for the engine and holds the previous gear. Changing up was just pin the pedal and flick the paddle. Although I am no special driver the car is just so easy to drive fast that we were making seriously rapid pace around the track.

Down the back straight and over the radio we were instructed to push the appropriate buttons and see the difference to the handling and 'full power'. It didn't so much jump but surged forward even more rapidly through the gears and now it felt indecently flat through the corners. This car really does make you look good!

I was having real trouble getting used to the paddle shift and hit the washer/wiper a few times because I was reaching for them rather than resting fingers on them lightly.

Two laps were over so quickly and we got out of the car with a feeling of exhilaration at having experienced something so fast, so comfortable yet so forgiving.

M3 (track pack)
That SMG again! The first lap was very untidy as the paddles are smaller and more out of the way to my natural grip, but the second one I thought to h#@# with it and just drove without worrying. This little car has a sweet engine that loves to rev and is very nimble. The second lap was smooth and gear changes just seemed to happen naturally, which just goes to show it was me and not the cars. It carries heaps of speed through the corners and just howls along the straights. I was able to catch and keep up with the M5 I was following but whether it was my car or his confidence I do not know in comparison. I was impressed.

M5 (again)
The second time around, by now I thought I had the hang of this SMG and through the chicanes was able to carry even more speed. Now I was having trouble with it bogging down coming out of the corners (like fuel starvation) but it quickly snapped out of it and off we'd blast. It didn't matter how deep you went in, the poise of the car just would't be unsettled. By now I was only using the HUD and the paddles.

M5 Hot Laps
Hopped in the back seat, impressed at the leg room. I like the dash trim better than the lairy 545 stuff.

Geoff trundled off after explaining in more detail some of the settings, including the gear change timing settings and how it can drive sedately then transform with the push of a button. The variations to those settings means you could have some serious fun practicing.

He explained that you can only get to the quickest gear change with the DSC off in M mode. With the DSC switched off however, it means that you have to be switched on as full power can come on when you are in mid corner. Dangerous if you are not concentrating.

Now we knew why the car was hesitating on our last blast. The DSC was cutting the engine output until it was more settled. A pain if you want to get on early but safer nonetheless. As my co driver said, who'd have thought we would be punting an M5 around hard enough to be hitting the DSC.

Geoff turned it off and for 4 laps blasted around, nailing it in numerous sideways drifting out of corners to show us what the car could do. To say he was seriously faster and cleaner than we is not the point, he showed just how much more capable the car was than we already thought.

After these laps, press of a button and we drove out into the car park and back to the conference room. No hesitating, spluttering or change to cruising along after such hard work.

I was invited along because I was considering an M6 and asked to see an M5. Although I will wait to make sure I am certain, it looks like an M5 for me.

As I said to the dealer, a great way to sell a car.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Senior Members

Hi VHHDT and welcome to the forum. Very detailed write-up you have there. I am in fact, like you, onto the M6 but still considering the M5 because of the dual purposes of the vehicle; both as a family car and also as one which I can go crazy with. I am right now driving the 545.

My main worries about the M5 are that they will come with the same squeaks and other noises that I am experiencing right now. Furthermore, I have spoken with quite a 6 series owners and the servicemen at our local dealership and they all swear that the 6 does not come with as many problems as we have on the E60. Even the security guards at the dealership say they very seldom see the 6 being sent in for repairs, etc.

I wonder what the opinions of our other friends here will be like.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 PM
MEX
Senior Members

Welcome to the forum VHHT, and thank you for such an interesting post, it certainly gives a lot of information to us who have not driven all those cars and have a different idea of some of them, just like yourself i thought the 750 was a big car with a lot of toys and nice power.

tnx
Old 07-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Nice first post! I'm jealous! Welcome aboard.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Great post! I can only wish BMW will do the same type of thing for us here in the US!
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Great and veru detailed post!! WELCOME.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 15 2005, 12:31 AM
Hi VHHDT and welcome to the forum.? Very detailed write-up you have there.? I am in fact, like you, onto the M6 but still considering the M5 because of the dual purposes of the vehicle; both as a family car and also as one which I can go crazy with.? I am right now driving the 545.

My main worries about the M5 are that they will come with the same squeaks and other noises that I am experiencing right now.? Furthermore, I have spoken with quite a 6 series owners and the servicemen at our local dealership and they all swear that the 6 does not come with as many problems as we have on the E60.? Even the security guards at the dealership say they very seldom see the 6 being sent in for repairs, etc.

I wonder what the opinions of our other friends here will be like.
[snapback]149308[/snapback]
I guess I would have to agree I appear to have less problems than the 5ers here on E60.net. It may be the 2 lesser doors, but I cannot say for sure. I have the same annoyance issues caused by the software designs (the old audio always on - now fixed, the current AC always on issue, no Aux in the button rotation) but no real problems. Now I do visit a 6er forum and will say I see some of them with similar problems as 5ers in the tranny slam (I never had it), and maybe a few others. But few window anti traps reported and the like. Maybe cause it had a later start in life as well. Also it sells at around 1/10 the rate of 5er so maybe its just a numbers thing. But I love it and do not need sedan so its on to the M6 for me no matter how long it takes.

And thanks to VHHDT to that cool write up Yes I really would like to test one of the emmys before spending the $$ but that won't slow me down.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

great write up...welcome