E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

My 635 miles trip in my M5

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from Oregon with my M5.

So quick review.

This car handles beautifully. The steering response is excellent. Steering is laser like precise. This is something that my E55 will never be able to match.

The car really drives like an E46 M3. With one big difference, with the M3 you can't adjust the suspension stiffness, in the M5 this provides a good solution. In the softest setting, the M5 rides exceptionally well. It rides as well as E55 on the highway. It can be a great highway cruiser.

Also the SMGIII is a huge step forward as compare to SMGII. BMW did an excellent job here. A lot of jerkiness of the SMGII went away. Downshift more than one gear is now faster. I was very happy with SMGIII thus far.

Things that I don't like thus far is lack of torque sub 3,000 RPM. The engine in P400 mode really lacks punch at sub 3000 RPM. In addition, where is trunk closer option? I really miss this coming from my E55.

Other than these two complaint, M5 really is a gem. If you like driving (not drag racing) there isn't any better 4 door sedan out there. E55 simply can't keep up with M5 at all. M5 is far more fun to drive and excellent dynamics. More powerful and easier to use interface (i-drive + voice command trumps MB's command system by more than a mile). In addition, for the 1st time, i really think BMW's I-drive system is better than any Japanese system with touch screen. Who ever designed BMW's voice recognition system deserve a big applause here. With excellent voice recognition capability, the driver can complete discard I-drive knob.
In fact why use a key pad (aka MB command) when you can dictate the exact numeber you want to call (you can give it one by one or in sequence).

Overall, BMW has a runaway winner in the M5. It simply the best 4 door sedan in the market right now.

Here is two picture that i took today.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Wow!!
Great to see your enjoying yourself!!
Ill be writing this kind of post in about 1 month
Old 10-30-2005, 01:43 AM
Senior Members

Glad u like it. For sure it's a jewel of a car.

But you mentioned that for dragging it might not be the best 4 door sedan!. What is the best 4 door sedan at dragging (also) then? (in this price range)
Old 10-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 30 2005, 03:43 AM
But you mentioned that for dragging it might not be the best 4 door sedan!. What is the best 4 door sedan at dragging (also) then? (in this price range)
[snapback]190812[/snapback]
I had an '03 E55 and it was a monster--scary quick!
Old 10-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Congrats on your new beauty!
Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 30 2005, 03:43 AM

If you like drag racing and low end grunt. E55 is far better choice than the M5. Straightline, E55's low end torque is amazing. No need to build up rev, just punch the gas and go. With cooling, pulley, ECU, exhaust upgrade, you can easily push over 600HP on the E55 motor. This will be impossible for the M5. The M5 motor is simply too weak at low end.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by krispykreme' date='Oct 30 2005, 12:49 AM
I just got back from Oregon with my M5.?

So quick review.

This car handles beautifully.? The steering response is excellent.? Steering is laser like precise.? This is something that my E55 will never be able to match.?

The car really drives like an E46 M3.? With one big difference, with the M3 you can't adjust the suspension stiffness, in the M5 this provides a good solution.? In the softest setting, the M5 rides exceptionally well.? It rides as well as E55 on the highway.? It can be a great highway cruiser.

Also the SMGIII is a huge step forward as compare to SMGII.? BMW did an excellent job here.? A lot of jerkiness of the SMGII went away.? Downshift more than one gear is now faster.? I was very happy with SMGIII thus far.

Things that I don't like thus far is lack of torque sub 3,000 RPM.? The engine in P400 mode really lacks punch at sub 3000 RPM.? In addition, where is trunk closer option?? I really miss this coming from my E55.?

Other than these two complaint, M5 really is a gem.? If you like driving (not drag racing) there isn't any better 4 door sedan out there.? E55 simply can't keep up with M5 at all.? M5 is far more fun to drive and excellent dynamics.? More powerful and easier to use interface (i-drive + voice command trumps MB's command system by more than a mile).? In addition, for the 1st time, i really think BMW's I-drive system is better than any Japanese system with touch screen.? Who ever designed BMW's voice recognition system deserve a big applause here.? With excellent voice recognition capability, the driver can complete discard I-drive knob.
In fact why use a key pad (aka MB command) when you can dictate the exact numeber you want to call (you can give it one by one or in sequence).

Overall, BMW has a runaway winner in the M5.? It simply the best 4 door sedan in the market right now.

Here is two picture that i took today.

[snapback]190774[/snapback]
Thank you for the update KK. I am very glad you are enjoying your M5 so much.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 30 2005, 05:43 AM

I am not quite sure what it costs, but staying closer to home, make my drag racer, etc., an
Alpina B5.

"ALPINA B5: Our Thoughts--

Well what would you think of a 500bhp / 500+lb ft executive saloon from a company as accomplished as ALPINA? How will the gentleman?s M5 stack up?"
Old 10-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Very nice!
So exciting and I bet it's hard NOT to punch the throttle while you're still in the break-in period.

Thanks for the feedback and congrats!
Old 10-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 30 2005, 01:51 PM
[quote name='BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 30 2005, 05:43 AM']Glad u like it. For sure it's a jewel of a car.

I am not quite sure what it costs, but staying closer to home, make my drag racer, etc., an
Alpina B5.

"ALPINA B5: Our Thoughts--

Well what would you think of a 500bhp / 500+lb ft executive saloon from a company as accomplished as ALPINA? How will the gentleman?s M5 stack up?"
[snapback]190967[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, I remember reading that link you gave in another thread. They mention only that the M5 will cost "slightly less" than the B5.

Quick Reply: My 635 miles trip in my M5