E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Motor Trend - March 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006 | 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Got the March 2006 Motor Trend today and they have a M5 vs CLS55.

They have a section called the "Accidental Comparison" which happened as follows:

"Recently, race drives Tommy Kendall (rep'ing M- and Bill Auberlen (for BMW) demonstrated their car-handling skills to the press at the Motor Press Guild's "Track Days" at Willow Springs Raceway. What were they driving? The CLS55 and M5 or course Our alert Neil Chirico seized the opportunity to equip each pairing with our Racepak GPS system to record what happended. Below are each driver and car's single best laps presented as a virtual head-to-head competition"

I will try and scan and post the graphics but this is all you need to know...."the third (graph), an illustration of far the M5 would pull ahead of the CLS55 over the course of one lap" The answer: 395 feet or 24 car length's

Brilliant

Over the course of the lap the M5 was faster 85.5% of the time versus 14.5% for the CLS55.

They summed it as follows: "The M5's 2.55-second quicker lap means a big gap on a fast track. The CLS55's brief gains in the transitions and during low-speed cornering logically reflect its better skidpad skills; the M5's gains during braking are likewise consistent with our test-track numbers. What's illuminating are the BMW's cornering and acceleration at high speeds. Our dragstrip measurements from a stop tend to obsure this."

No S**t!

So for all those MB guys, there is more to life than a straight line

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails Motor Trend - March 2006-motortrendm5cls55.jpg  
Old 02-07-2006 | 01:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bokke' post='235930' date='Feb 6 2006, 08:10 PM
Got the March 2006 Motor Trend today and they have a M5 vs CLS55.

They have a section called the "Accidental Comparison" which happened as follows:

"Recently, race drives Tommy Kendall (rep'ing M- and Bill Auberlen (for BMW) demonstrated their car-handling skills to the press at the Motor Press Guild's "Track Days" at Willow Springs Raceway. What were they driving? The CLS55 and M5 or course Our alert Neil Chirico seized the opportunity to equip each pairing with our Racepak GPS system to record what happended. Below are each driver and car's single best laps presented as a virtual head-to-head competition"

I will try and scan and post the graphics but this is all you need to know...."the third (graph), an illustration of far the M5 would pull ahead of the CLS55 over the course of one lap" The answer: 395 feet or 24 car length's

Brilliant

Over the course of the lap the M5 was faster 85.5% of the time versus 14.5% for the CLS55.

They summed it as follows: "The M5's 2.55-second quicker lap means a big gap on a fast track. The CLS55's brief gains in the transitions and during low-speed cornering logically reflect its better skidpad skills; the M5's gains during braking are likewise consistent with our test-track numbers. What's illuminating are the BMW's cornering and acceleration at high speeds. Our dragstrip measurements from a stop tend to obsure this."

No S**t!

So for all those MB guys, there is more to life than a straight line

Cheers,
That's why i like it that much. (the m5 that is).
That's why in general i prefere a bimmer over a merc. And well there are other reasons also...
Old 02-07-2006 | 09:57 AM
Senior Members

I scanned and added the "virtual comparison" see post #1 - sorry if it's hard to read - but, hey I tried

Cheers,