E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

And mine has arrived also..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:40 PM
ccz
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Aug 9 2005, 12:20 AM
Great looking car - very unique with the color combo's.

Why don't you like the Conti's?? How do you know the problem is the tires?? The M5 was designed with these tires, and I don't think there are any others approved for the car.? The Pirelli Corsa's are really track tires.
[snapback]157278[/snapback]
Well it could be the DSC kicking in early (also in MDM) but the car is sliding pretty early under power. Had the same problem with my M-roadster which dissapeared completely after changing the tyres. Same with my previous 540i (chipped) Of course with so much power on the back oversteer is bound to set in rather sooner than later butthe torque kicks in gradually and the engine delivers very lineair. For now it is more gutfeeling than anything else. Will come back on this.

By the Way. The german magazine Motor Sport tested recently the M6 against the gallardo and the new viper. And it said that the better time from the M6 over the M5 on Hockenheim (-2,4 secs) came mainly from the tires (= pirelli) and not so much from the weight difference....
Old 08-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributors

congratulations!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sweet car! Congratuations!!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ccz' date='Aug 8 2005, 02:07 PM
Hi There,

After seven months of waiting (I guess I'm still lucky if I read the waiting list for some of you out there) My brand new M5 has arrived ! Got it last wednesday, took some time of and drove from Holland to the south of France.. Complete Bliss ! By now it has had it 2000km oilchange (today) and I have started to gradually rev it up...

Some observations:

* This is by far the very best car I have ever ever driven..
* The engine sound compares to nothing, its a great turbine with al kind of harmonics in it. Rough when idle, musik when pushed.
* SMG box is much smoother than I had thought and very, fast, even if I didn.t even use mode S5 and S6.
* That glorious surge of power, sound and acceleration !!!!! Mmmmm...
* Automatic mode is not my cup of tea. I'm using currently manual S4.
* Sport setting for EDC is very though and makes the car a bit restless. Normal setting is the best and the fastest..
* Continental tires suck.. will change it soon to pirelli. They really cannot handle the car well.
* No matter how great that engine is, the suspension and the roadhandling may very well be even more impressive. Took it over the route napoleon to Grasse.. Automotive heaven !
* I'm very very pleased with the sepang bronze.. it looks great in real life. Interior is Sepang Bronze Hell/ Black with Madeira Redwood. I think this is a superb combination wit the wood bringing some much needed warmth into the interior.. although some of you may think it is not sporty enough to fit an M5. For me itis the essence of the M5: a gentlemen with a hooligan lurking inside.. But feel free to disagree and judge for yourselves..

I'm am the luckiest guy in the world right now..

Gotta go now... DRIVING !!!

Coert
[snapback]157237[/snapback]

Congrats -- sweet ride.

Can you tell us about the SMGIII? How do you like it so far? How's it like to row through 7 gears?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i

ahh im jealous, very nice car
Old 08-08-2005, 10:50 PM
ccz
Members

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Aug 9 2005, 06:30 AM
[snapback]157237[/snapback]

Congrats -- sweet ride.

Can you tell us about the SMGIII? How do you like it so far? How's it like to row through 7 gears?
[snapback]157379[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ahh.. the SMG III. Between the wonder of the engine and the under carriage one might forget this but...

There has been a lot people asking for a manual version of the M5 but I for one think this is sentiment and not based on experience. The SMG III box is astounding, and that is even after 2000k (1200m) when I cannot use the fastest programs yet. 7 gears is a lot, but they are brilliantly spacd and, because of the nature of the beast, you need them. The enginge is a high rev machine and it is no completely happy surfing the torque at 1500 rpm, so you want to keep it in the sweet spot over, lets say 3000 rpm. The SMG is fast en very smooth in all programs until S4 (still to test S5 en 6 but have to wait until I hit the 5000k mark). Downshifts are always accompanied with a glorious amount of throttle between the gears to compensate for negative engine drag and, aside from beeing very functional, this makes a great sound and turns heads instantly. I have almost exclsively used the manual setting, the automatic programm is a bit slow and, because the changes are somewhat unpredictable and sluggish, this is not the smoothest ride. Its better to put it on one of the faster programms and lift the throttle on gearshift; completely smooth and instant change (see the demo of Tiff Needle in his Fifth gear programm in his review of the M5). Using the paddles gives you total control and no way you could do better with a manual. The shiftlights in the HUD in M-mode are brilliant too. So.. SMG is better faster and more fun, stop whining over that manual version guys, this is the thing to have..
Old 08-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I honestly envy
Beautiful, no comment
Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

How glorious for u

I like your interior very much. The colors seem warmer and richer than some other pics I've seen with that particular wood. Getting a better feel for what to expect on the M6. In a way I'm glad u guys in Europe are getting into your cars now and letting us see the various ext/int color combinations and how they work for real people, prior to having to make tough decisions ourselves. But still the wait kills.

Enjoy your killer car.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

lucky you! i love your car. the color is absolutely marvelous
Old 08-09-2005, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

ccz gets it!

Quick Reply: And mine has arrived also..