E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005 | 01:40 PM
Members

First, I am new to this forum. My current vehicle is a 1999 540ia that I bought new in April 1999 and still love. Orient blue with lt gray.

I am going to buy a new 5 series and I obviously like what I read about the M5 and the looks.

My concern is for a car to keep long term (which I do when I love it) and drive every day am I better off going for a 9/10'ths 550i or a 10/10's M5?

I would appreciate any help with my decision.

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2005 | 01:52 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

The new M5 seems like a fantastic car--although most of us in the US are only guessing how fantastic. I have a 545i and the new 550i will be even better. I've given a lot of thought to getting an M5, but every time I drive my 545i, I thoroughly enjoy it, and question how much better--in realistic every day usability terms--the M5 will be, and whether it's worth the significant premium. So far I haven't been able to convince myself.

Once you get to the level of a 545i or 550i, the additional driving enjoyment, in practical every day terms, is pretty limited. My 545i has plenty of acceleration and excellent handling for a sedan, so although the M5 will be much quicker and handle a bit better becomes a moot point for most Americans, unless you plan to track you car regularly.
Old 09-16-2005 | 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 16 2005, 03:52 PM
The new M5 seems like a fantastic car--although most of us in the US are only guessing how fantastic.? I have a 545i and the new 550i will be even better.? I've given a lot of thought to getting an M5, but every time I drive my 545i, I thoroughly enjoy it, and question how much better--in realistic every day usability terms--the M5 will be, and whether it's worth the significant premium.? So far I haven't been able to convince myself.?

Once you get to the level of a 545i or 550i, the additional driving enjoyment, in practical every day terms, is pretty limited.? My 545i has plenty of acceleration and excellent handling for a sedan, so although the M5 will be much quicker and handle a bit better becomes a moot point for most Americans, unless you plan to track you car regularly.
[snapback]171497[/snapback]
I'll let you know - I should pick up my M5 next month.
Old 09-17-2005 | 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Stream - I think you said it best. I have debated getting one when the lease on my 545i is up but I don't know if I can justify the $$. Yes it would be cool to drive around with that badge on the back, knowing that I'm one of only a few around my area but like you said in terms of everyday driveability, I would never get to fully use that power. I don't track my car and have no plans too. I do alot of driving everyday so I think I'm better off with a 550i loaded including comfort seats for those long drives.

Then again everyones needs are different. Unless you track your car having the M5 is simply a question of want and not need. Congratulations to those of you that have them and are getting them. It truly will be a great car and I hope you all love it and tell us about them.

Old 09-17-2005 | 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Some may rush to say that there is no question...get the M5. However, I think this is a fair question and in addition to what has already been posted I will add...

Think about the car you will be using daily. If you find yourself doing a lot of spirited driving you will have a lot of enjoyment in both cars, granted you get the Sport Package with a 550i. I'm not saying the power and handling is equivalent to the M5 but rather ask yourself if the difference in price is worth the increased power and handling for what you will be using the car for.

Now think about the cost for gas. A performance engineered, 10 cylinder motor requires that you build a single pump gas station in your garage. OK, maybe not, but still think about gas consumption of the vehicle you say you will be driving on a daily basis.

The 540 you're driving now is a great car. Did you find yourself saying, "I should have bought that car!" everytime an e39 M5 drove by? Does your head still turn 180 degrees when that beast drives the other way? If so, you know what you need to do.
Old 09-17-2005 | 06:57 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Sep 16 2005, 08:31 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Sep 16 2005, 03:52 PM']The new M5 seems like a fantastic car--although most of us in the US are only guessing how fantastic.? I have a 545i and the new 550i will be even better.? I've given a lot of thought to getting an M5, but every time I drive my 545i, I thoroughly enjoy it, and question how much better--in realistic every day usability terms--the M5 will be, and whether it's worth the significant premium.? So far I haven't been able to convince myself.?

Once you get to the level of a 545i or 550i, the additional driving enjoyment, in practical every day terms, is pretty limited.? My 545i has plenty of acceleration and excellent handling for a sedan, so although the M5 will be much quicker and handle a bit better becomes a moot point for most Americans, unless you plan to track you car regularly.
[snapback]171568[/snapback]
[/quote]

We're looking forward to your impressions--overall, and regarding SMG.
Old 09-17-2005 | 07:32 AM
Members

I thank you all for your help.

Some additional data.
My current 540ia has the sport pkg and I would not buy a 550 without it.
I live in Mass north of Boston where i have lived all but 5 of my 54 years. Go Sox!

When I lived in Orange County CA for 5 years I also had a 2003 Z06 Corvette for 2 years and I found my self not using all of the power it had. Part of that was the 6spd (I am a pretty good shifter but it is much easier to just floor it in my 540)and the other was where do you do it.

I do however think the M5, partly due to the SMG, would not be as much of a chore to use the performance when I got the chance.

I realize you guys can not make my decision but really appreciate the input. My lovely wife says get what you want. Problem is I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS!

Thanks again,
Old 09-17-2005 | 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 17 2005, 08:57 AM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Sep 16 2005, 08:31 PM'][quote name='stream' date='Sep 16 2005, 03:52 PM']The new M5 seems like a fantastic car--although most of us in the US are only guessing how fantastic.? I have a 545i and the new 550i will be even better.? I've given a lot of thought to getting an M5, but every time I drive my 545i, I thoroughly enjoy it, and question how much better--in realistic every day usability terms--the M5 will be, and whether it's worth the significant premium.? So far I haven't been able to convince myself.?

[snapback]171568[/snapback]
[/quote]

We're looking forward to your impressions--overall, and regarding SMG.
[snapback]171651[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to it too! I'll post pics etc. I'll definitely weigh in on the plus and minus of SMG III.
Old 09-18-2005 | 12:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

If you have the $$$go for the M5....Ive been lucky to test drive at Rockingham raceway in the UK...awesome!!!!

You havnt heard anything the the howl of the V10 at full tilt!!
Old 09-18-2005 | 01:20 PM
ccz
Members

Originally Posted by alsab44' date='Sep 16 2005, 11:40 PM
First, I am new to this forum. My current vehicle is a 1999 540ia that I bought new in April 1999 and still love. Orient blue with lt gray.

I am going to buy a new 5 series and I obviously like what I read about the M5 and the looks.

My concern is for a car to keep long term (which I do when I love it) and drive every day am I better off going for a 9/10'ths 550i or a 10/10's M5?

I would appreciate any help with my decision.

Thanks,
[snapback]171491[/snapback]
Well I had the same question... changed my saphirblack 2002 540i for a sepang bronze M5.. I must say... I have been driving I every day with an ear to ear smile.. however.. I live in Holland.. and although this country has speedlimits too, Germany is only a 1 hour drive.. Also, the average speed on motorways is higher here.. you can do about a 90-100 mph without to much risk. And I can do the occasional short jumps to 155-160. The M5 is so much faster than the 545i.. there is no comparison. The car has a completely different character and if you like the silky smooth drive and comfort of a 540iA be aware. The M5 is much thougher in its suspension and the SMG is somewhat jerky in the beginning. Handling is realy miles away from a 545i (I have driven it quite often). But then again.. do you use it ? It is not a question of 9/10 or 10/10 it is a question of what you like in your a car. Is it the handling and performance please go for the m5.. It is truly amazing. You will pay for it though; the ride is harsher, the smg is no way as smooth as the standard auto if these things bother you and you like supreme comfort go for the 550i. Also.. I think I would feel like jaws in a goldfish bowl if I were to do 65 mph max in the States in my M5.. )-:

I however have been very very happy with my choice..

Oh.. keep rembering that you are very very lucky to HAVE the choice !!!

take care

Coert

M5 vs 550i-102_1148_s.jpg

Quick Reply: M5 vs 550i