E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 visually disappoints

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by MALEKMAN' post='237689' date='Feb 10 2006, 12:36 AM
I dropped off my car for service today (you know, for typical BMW annoyances e.g. I-Drive taking more than 5 minutes to boot or booting up in German, safety feature on rear right window not working, steering column "clicking" when tilting and when turned lock to lock, passenger "airbag off" indicator malfunction, rear seat creaking noise, diesel sounds from the engine in low RPM etc) and there they were, 3 brand new M5s getting washed and cleaned for delivery. Well, I tell you unless you know what to look for (besides the M5 badge) the car is visually pretty unspectacular even with the 19" rims (there still is an unacceptably large gap between the tire and the fender), quad tail pipes and the side vents. I think that for 90 grand and all that power that BMW has stuffed into this car, it should have a sexier more distinct body. Just my two cents.

I like the car, but we're in agreement regarding the wheels. I recently saw one at the DC auto show - the wheels struck me as being far too small. They need to be 20" - at least. Maybe they'll offer a 20" factory option in a year or so?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by MALEKMAN' post='237689
Of course you will still have the gaps between the tire and fender. You can't expect them to sell you the car slammed or with 21" wheels. Any car manufacturer won't have any part of that. They'll cause problems for the consumer and won't be considered a "safe" car. I guess you are looking at it from an enthusiast's point of view.
I agree with the comments that part of the beauty of M5s has been that they are discrete.

I also agree the wheel well gaps are too large, especially in the front, but disagree with the comment that smaller gaps and lower stance would be a safety issue. When you see one in person it's very noticeable. My 545i w/ sport package rides lower and has significantly smaller wheel well gaps--particularly in the front. Here's my car and an M5 for comparison--on the front of the M5 you can see clear through to the wheel well liner, and the rear gap is also larger than my car, though not as noticeable:
M5 visually disappoints-img_0943.jpg
M5 visually disappoints-silver_gray_drivers_front_5_800.jpg
Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

A friend of mine loves the M5, but doesn't have enough money to own one. I keep telling him to buy a 525i for half of the price of M5 and 90% of the exterior looks the same.

Add few more thousand for M-Kit, then 98% of the exterior looks the same.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by MALEKMAN' post='237689
I think that for 90 grand and all that power that BMW has stuffed into this car, it should have a sexier more distinct body. Just my two cents.
No.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Male,
BMW has a long (forever, I guess) history of understating the appearance of their high-performance models. As a matter of fact, if you listen carefully, you can probably still hear the echo of howls sent up around the world when the M3 was introduced in 1987. It was horrendous (the styling as well as the howling). All four quarter panels were so swolen they looked as though they needed penicillin and the whole thing looked like it had been crafted out back of some drag track. But, its 4 cylinder went like hell and was a blast to drive. There's an article on them in the latest Automobile magazine. But that was a loud (and short) departure from the norm.

Indeed, that same year the 535iS debuted, along with the M5, and both were so subtle visually, that the only way you could spot them was the minor spoiler treatment on the front and the rubber lip on the trunk lid. Contrary to Detroit, BMW has always stuffed their upgrades on the iniside, where it counts. (no flaming chicken decals here....)

So, if anything, they have become more obvious over the years, but are still thankfully, stealthy in their overall appearance. And frankly, that's just the way I want them; I won't even have the daytime running lights activated on my car. I like subtle.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

They did a pretty damn good design job on the M6, though. That has to be one of the best looking automobiles ever made.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='237691' date='Feb 10 2006, 07:42 AM
That's what the M5 is about, supercar performance without screaming to people, look at me I am driving a fancy car and I am rich. That's the tradition.

Get a Porsche, Viper or Ferrari or something if you want to stand out.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='237691
Add Hamann's wide body kit and you'll see a head turner!
Old 02-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by ats77' post='237997
That's what the M5 is about, supercar performance without screaming to people, look at me I am driving a fancy car and I am rich. That's the tradition.
yeah oh I see you commin' in M5 or you are so POOR , good one

I like M5 as it is the best car of all today's, but I wud spice up MINE and you can keep yours Oem no probs w that

Originally Posted by 530iii' post='237733' date='Feb 10 2006, 09:29 AM
Add Hamann's wide body kit and you'll see a head turner!

[/quote]

That's exactly what happen, the other day I saw a M5 and of course I was checking it out as anyone here would do. My gf ask me why am I checking it out, I have the exact same thing I told her you can't compare my poor man 523 to the M5 and she just shrug her shoulders and walk away <_<
Old 02-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Members

wolf in sheeps clothing. Thats the tradition

Quick Reply: M5 visually disappoints