E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 suspension vs M Tech E60 one

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006 | 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Thumbs up

I'd like to know the differences between the 2 suspensions setups. Appart from the electronic adjustment prezent on the m5, i'm more interested in the hardware part, shocks, springs and so on. How much different are they or how much alike? Talking to a friend of mine presumed the springs are pretty much the same and the shock travel. I drove the m5 but really didn't put much attention to the suspension (because you know what ) but i have a strong hunch that the m5 in the confort settings is a bit more confortable and in sport pretty much the same, than my M Tech E60 with 18" rims but with wooden tires.

What's your opinion folks?
Old 05-25-2006 | 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Anyone?
Old 05-25-2006 | 12:29 PM
Contributors

Looking at the parts on RealOEM.com you can see that the front stabilizer bar on the M5 is thicker (26.5mm) compared to the M sports suspension (25.6mm).
The front spring struts have different part numbers between the two vehicles and the M5 spring struts cost 3x what the M sports suspension cost.
Otherwise, it is difficult to tell what else is different just by looking at the parts lists.
Old 05-25-2006 | 10:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='287711' date='May 25 2006, 11:29 PM
Looking at the parts on RealOEM.com you can see that the front stabilizer bar on the M5 is thicker (26.5mm) compared to the M sports suspension (25.6mm).
The front spring struts have different part numbers between the two vehicles and the M5 spring struts cost 3x what the M sports suspension cost.
Otherwise, it is difficult to tell what else is different just by looking at the parts lists.
Good info.
Old 05-28-2006 | 03:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

Also the M5 has EDC (electronic damping control) which is not available on M-Sport's & boy is it effective.
Old 05-28-2006 | 12:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='288688' date='May 28 2006, 02:13 PM
Also the M5 has EDC (electronic damping control) which is not available on M-Sport's & boy is it effective.
Yes, i mentioned that in my first post. No electronics. EDC is the first when i think of hte m5 suspenion. I mentioned hardware parts, less software or electronics.
Old 05-28-2006 | 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

the biggest issue is the front stabilazor... the antiroll bar.
my friend has just exchanged the M tech sport one for the M5 one.... wooooow big difference.... tested at Nurbirgring as well. it is like a black and white....
the holder rubber brackets of the M5 roll bar are almost none compared to the jumpy tenis ball huge rubber bracket of the Mtech sport susp.
this is probably the most significant drive/performance mod one can do. fairly cheap and DIY job as well
Old 05-28-2006 | 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='288899' date='May 28 2006, 11:35 PM
the biggest issue is the front stabilazor... the antiroll bar.
my friend has just exchanged the M tech sport one for the M5 one.... wooooow big difference.... tested at Nurbirgring as well. it is like a black and white....
the holder rubber brackets of the M5 roll bar are almost none compared to the jumpy tenis ball huge rubber bracket of the Mtech sport susp.
this is probably the most significant drive/performance mod one can do. fairly cheap and DIY job as well
Excelent info Peter! Thanks. Can you point me to more info? Prices?
Can you elaborate into how better it handeled? Felt more gripy? Less roll into bends? What about the confort zone? Would it become more harsh? What do you need for the upgrade?
Thanx.
Old 05-28-2006 | 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

it was about 300-400EUR I would say.
DIY job on a car lift if you can find one.... one hour of work.... we changed the rear one as well

simply the car does not move/bend sideways while cornering... it is more stiff.... basicaly it does not roll sideways
as to the comfort I do not think it is more uncomfortable then lowering the car I would say.... I would say lowering the car is more uncomfortable then this....

you need the M5 rolls bars and the brackets for those (2pcs each) including the rubber, and a few screws so you do not have to use the old ones.....
Old 05-28-2006 | 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='288912' date='May 28 2006, 11:58 PM
it was about 300-400EUR I would say.
DIY job on a car lift if you can find one.... one hour of work.... we changed the rear one as well

simply the car does not move/bend sideways while cornering... it is more stiff.... basicaly it does not roll sideways
as to the comfort I do not think it is more uncomfortable then lowering the car I would say.... I would say lowering the car is more uncomfortable then this....

you need the M5 rolls bars and the brackets for those (2pcs each) including the rubber, and a few screws so you do not have to use the old ones.....
Interesting! Will ask the dealer and find out what prices he has to offer.

Quick Reply: M5 suspension vs M Tech E60 one