E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do either the standard M5 seats or the optional multi-function seats have the articulated backrest like the regular 5's optional comfort seats?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='210111' date='Dec 11 2005, 06:32 PM
Do either the standard M5 seats or the optional multi-function seats have the articulated backrest like the regular 5's optional comfort seats?
The Multifunction seats have the articulated backrest. The standard M5 seats do not.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

Thanks wolverine. BTW, is the M-display HUD as cool as it looks?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Do the multi function seats have the headrests like the comfort seats do?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='210128' date='Dec 12 2005, 03:16 AM

Yeah it is(not my car btw)
Attached Thumbnails M5 Seats-gallery_2650_385_62409.jpg  
Old 12-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='210128' date='Dec 11 2005, 09:16 PM
Not Wolverine but....the HUD is very cool. After you use it once you will never turn it off. IMO it is a "must get" option for the M5.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MichiganM5' post='210691
Not Wolverine but....the HUD is very cool. After you use it once you will never turn it off. IMO it is a "must get" option for the M5.
[/quote]

Agree - the HUD is an absolute necessity when you're driving hard. Mainly because the tach needle moves so fast when you're over 6,000 it's hard to time the shifts. Plus you DO NOT want to be taking your eyes off the road at that point!

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='210231' date='Dec 12 2005, 07:37 AM
The multifunction seats come in two versions. The 'base' version is what's shown in the brochures - there is no 'comfort' headrest.

If you order the ventilated multifunction seats, you get seats identical to the comfort seats, but with very soft perforated leather, active bolstering and upgraded stitching. The headrest is the same as the comfort headrest.

Some people prefer the base multifunction seats because they are a bit stiffer, with more side bolstering. I've never tried the base multifunction seats, but I can say that the active, ventilated comfort seats are just superb.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine
The multifunction seats come in two versions. The 'base' version is what's shown in the brochures - there is no 'comfort' headrest.

If you order the ventilated multifunction seats, you get seats identical to the comfort seats, but with very soft perforated leather, active bolstering and upgraded stitching. The headrest is the same as the comfort headrest.

Some people prefer the base multifunction seats because they are a bit stiffer, with more side bolstering. I've never tried the base multifunction seats, but I can say that the active, ventilated comfort seats are just superb.
[/quote]

I'm a bit confused. I thought that there were only two types of M5 seats - the standard seat and the multi-function seat, which comes with the active side bolster and maybe the articulted backrest. I understand that the multifunction seat can be had with or without ventilation (and therefore with or without perforated leather). But are you saying that the multi-function seat itself is different depending on whether you get the ventilation option?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley
Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Dec 13 2005, 12:00 PM' post='210705

I'm a bit confused. I thought that there were only two types of M5 seats - the standard seat and the multi-function seat, which comes with the active side bolster and maybe the articulted backrest. I understand that the multifunction seat can be had with or without ventilation (and therefore with or without perforated leather). But are you saying that the multi-function seat itself is different depending on whether you get the ventilation option?
[/quote]

That is exactly what I'm saying. It is very confusing, and the dealers initially didn't communicate there was a difference in the seats.

If you order the multi-function seat, you get all the electronic adjustments of the 5 series comfort-seat, plus active side bolsters. However, there are two types of multi-function seat.

The 'base' version is what you will get if you do not order the perforated, ventilated seats. This version is shown in the brochures and is a bit stiffer than the comfort seat, and has more lateral bolstering. The headrest is a single piece, and DOES NOT have the neck adjustment

If you order the multi-function seat with ventilation, you will get a different seat than the non-ventilated version. The seat is identical to the 5-series comfort seat, but has upgraded stitching, active side bolsters and ventilation. The headrest is the same as the 5-series comfort seat headrest, with the neck adjustment.

Very confusing, and not outlined in the brochures.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Thanks for clarifying Wolverine. when I saw the pics of your car I was confused because of what I saw in the brochure. They really should show and clarify that in the brochure.