E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 fuel (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black E60 M5

M5 owners,

Since owning my M5 I've been filling up with V-Power 99 RON. In the manual and the petrol flap the car states 95-98 RON. I don't mind paying the extra for fuel but would like to know if there are any recorded issues with the type of fuel put into M5s.

A tad anal I know but its best to know now in the early stages of ownership. I used to drive an Evo and it became an obsession to put in 99 RON fuel. I fear I'm going down the same path.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by Yeah Man' post='637475' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:41 PM
M5 owners,

Since owning my M5 I've been filling up with V-Power 99 RON. In the manual and the petrol flap the car states 95-98 RON. I don't mind paying the extra for fuel but would like to know if there are any recorded issues with the type of fuel put into M5s.

A tad anal I know but its best to know now in the early stages of ownership. I used to drive an Evo and it became an obsession to put in 99 RON fuel. I fear I'm going down the same path.
Shell Optimax is what i use .. i believe is 98 RON. i think the range they give us is more tipped toward the downside.. i.e. 95 or above.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Members

I had always filled up with Optimax too (which I think is 99RON)...until a few weeks ago, when my local Shell station had run out. So I filled up with regular unleaded and kept a close eye on the computer MPG and also the empty to full tank range.
Previously, and I've had the car for 3 months, I was getting between 185-195 miles out of a tank filled to the brim and run to very close to empty (fuel warning on, range down to <20 miles). Now I am getting more like 225-240miles
I do a daily commute - half Mway and half central london - I drive very very "carefully" (most of the time) at the moment - having picked up a couple of recent speeding tickets - and my MPG on the computer is up to 18.5!!!!

So the extra cost for the Optimax is now looking like a bit of a false economy to be honest - I have not noticed ANY difference in the performance but a previously high(ish) idle speed has now settled down whilst using normal Shell unleaded. This is a very strak difference to previous high performance cars Porsche 996 Carerra 4, E46 M3 Vert where the premium Optimax petrol helped both range and MPG quite noticeably....

Just my 2-pennies!!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by Alexbartman' post='640633' date='Aug 6 2008, 08:24 AM
I had always filled up with Optimax too (which I think is 99RON)...until a few weeks ago, when my local Shell station had run out. So I filled up with regular unleaded and kept a close eye on the computer MPG and also the empty to full tank range.
Previously, and I've had the car for 3 months, I was getting between 185-195 miles out of a tank filled to the brim and run to very close to empty (fuel warning on, range down to <20 miles). Now I am getting more like 225-240miles
I do a daily commute - half Mway and half central london - I drive very very "carefully" (most of the time) at the moment - having picked up a couple of recent speeding tickets - and my MPG on the computer is up to 18.5!!!!

So the extra cost for the Optimax is now looking like a bit of a false economy to be honest - I have not noticed ANY difference in the performance but a previously high(ish) idle speed has now settled down whilst using normal Shell unleaded. This is a very strak difference to previous high performance cars Porsche 996 Carerra 4, E46 M3 Vert where the premium Optimax petrol helped both range and MPG quite noticeably....

Just my 2-pennies!!
ok very interesting.. i will also try this on the next fill up .. which will be very soon naturally .. haha
Old 08-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Members

I filled up this weekend with regular 95 and the car doesn't feel any different and the fuel consumption has changed. I went for my first 30+ journey yesterday and the car is a lot better on consumption on longer journeys going up to 12.5 mpg.

I've also noticed that driving around with the M mode on doesn't change the consumption either (well for my trips). Its easier to drive in P500 sport mode

Also I discovered recently to smooth out the up changes on the SMG box you only lift off the gas pedal after you change up. I was lifting, changing, then reapplying before. It was like being on choppy waters!

If anyone has tips on driving the M5 better please post them up
Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F10 M5 DMS RE-MAP 770BHP All Black

Originally Posted by Yeah Man' post='643947' date='Aug 11 2008, 03:00 AM
I filled up this weekend with regular 95 and the car doesn't feel any different and the fuel consumption has changed. I went for my first 30+ journey yesterday and the car is a lot better on consumption on longer journeys going up to 12.5 mpg.

I've also noticed that driving around with the M mode on doesn't change the consumption either (well for my trips). Its easier to drive in P500 sport mode

Also I discovered recently to smooth out the up changes on the SMG box you only lift off the gas pedal after you change up. I was lifting, changing, then reapplying before. It was like being on choppy waters!

If anyone has tips on driving the M5 better please post them up

I also use the normal unleaded petrol as I beleive there is no difference at all between the higher octane one costing a damn site more money, and no I am not been tight as I wouldnt have an M5.

My previous car was an M3 and again I opted for the lesser octane fuel with excellent results, I really do not think there is any mileage in spending extra money.

I too am acheiving around 220 - 240 miles on a tank full (driving to work) under reasonably normal conditions, 80ish on motorways so I think that is excellent, I drive the car in auto on 500bhp without the M Button to acheive this.

I am getting the car done by DMS tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if driving above as I have described will be any more beneficial I will wait and see.....................maybe not though cos I want to see what 568 bhp does
Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 AM
Members

I used to own an EVO as you had to put in 98+ otherwise the car would go to a safer mapping.

I can only dream of a 200+ mile tank. My journeys are far shorter so the economy is rubbish.

Are M5s readily tuned? In my view the benefits of more power on one of these things isn't really worth it. The problem with the M5 is that is really heavy. Extra power is great in a straight line but the mass really takes handicaps its overall pace.

Anyway I don't know much about M5 tuning. What weakness does the M5 have when tuning? SMG, clutch etc?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:16 AM
Contributors

You would need to speak to DMS for any technical info, all I know from listening to other more qualified people than myself it is fantastic.

One of the questions I asked Mike Cooper was would it have any affect on my warranty as mine is only 2 years old, he said that it is totaly undectectable by BMW which is reassuring should anything go wrong.

I suppose we ALL would like our cars todo just that bit more than it should, even though the M5 is the "dogs danglies anyway", but I suppose we all also crave that top end through the gears without it giving out that bluuuuuur when you reach its limit!!

I had it done on my M3 and the top end torque and performance was exillerating to say the least, but each to their own, anyway the car is fully capable of 200mph+ when not let it "breath more easily"...............................cany wait till tomorrow!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Members

What are DMS doing to your car?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Contributors

Heres their site:

www.dmsautomotive.com

Look at the "about us", as they say they look after the total engine management system.

They will either come to you or you go to their place I beleive in Southampton, where they have programs for all the major prestige cars and remap them to be more efficient and tune them to perfection, they certainly are not a backyard company.

Give them a ring and speak with Mike Cooper and ask them exactly what they do, if I tried to descibe it to you I would probably get it wrong.........only 20 hours to wait now!!

Quick Reply: M5 fuel (UK)