E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

m3 or m5 for a track car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010 | 07:31 AM
Banned

So I have owned a non M e60 for awhile now and just having some time in life to get into the hobby of doing some track events/clubs etc. After pondering and looking around the m3 is seemingly the best fit as I always have wanted one and its fast around a track yet still awesome car to drive around in. I dont want a pure dedicated track car like an older m3 and what not-I want a car I can drive on the highway but take to the track as well.

The other thought is a used M5 e60 which obviously being an e60 owner-this was and is probably one of my top 1 or 2 cars ever. The thing is for a track purpose I am thinking the m3 might be more fun and agile. I have a daily driver which will be my e60 so I dont need the space. It would purely be for performance.

Those of you who driven and tracked both-any thoughts
Old 12-19-2010 | 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diamond
So I have owned a non M e60 for awhile now and just having some time in life to get into the hobby of doing some track events/clubs etc. After pondering and looking around the m3 is seemingly the best fit as I always have wanted one and its fast around a track yet still awesome car to drive around in. I dont want a pure dedicated track car like an older m3 and what not-I want a car I can drive on the highway but take to the track as well.

The other thought is a used M5 e60 which obviously being an e60 owner-this was and is probably one of my top 1 or 2 cars ever. The thing is for a track purpose I am thinking the m3 might be more fun and agile. I have a daily driver which will be my e60 so I dont need the space. It would purely be for performance.

Those of you who driven and tracked both-any thoughts
sorry guys this is in the wrong foum-supposed to be e60 m
Old 12-19-2010 | 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Lighter car would be less harsh on the tires. Besides a E60 would be a tank on the track compared to a M3 especially on a tight courses. Plus you have better support from after market parts on the smaller car.

But for me, it would be a Lotus all the way.
Old 12-19-2010 | 02:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I did an E39 M5 on track many times. It was good on high speed tracks, not so good on tight ones. It ate thru tires like a kid thru Haloweeen candy. I tracked my E60 550i as well but have no experience with the E60 M5 on track. Only riding in one at the BMW PC.
Several with E60 M5s on M5board.com tracked them at VIR. You can hit 150 mph with it and turn really good lap times but most who went frequently decided to get a more dedicated track car (E36 M3). With the right suspension and a few power tweaks, the E36 was turning the same lap times. I believe one was MRichmond. If an M5board member, search VIR and MRichmond. Both his M5 and his E36 M3 threads pop up. Although, I also just found a thread doing that where someone else totaled their E60 M5 at VIR turn 10. Ouch!!!!! Keep that in mind if you've become a track junkie.
Old 12-19-2010 | 03:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

BTW, here is a video of a full track session with my
It did quite well at VIR.
Note I was concerned with brake fade and took it a bit easy for 2 laps. At the 6 minute mark, I pass a Porsche and pick the pace up for a few laps. After caught in a train, I let a few really fast drivers pass but stayed at an even pace with thern thru the end of the session.
Old 12-20-2010 | 12:15 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

The M5 is quite heavy. It can be tracked but ur tires will go quick. The M3 is MUCH easier to handle but of course driving an M5 on the track just looks so nice. I recommend getting an E30 M3 and dropping the S85 in there. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!!
Old 12-20-2010 | 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

or a 335 and drop the s85 in lol out of the 2 for the track definitely an m3
Old 12-29-2010 | 06:54 PM
Banned

Sounds like the m3 is the one to go. I really dont get where people drive their m5's. I dont know where I would use all that power if not for a track. Even an m3 with 420 hp would be tough to use on a street but 505 on a heavy car-I mean I love them and would love to own one as I love the e60 but does anyone ever use even half of the power!

Its not going to be a dedicated track car-just a car that I want to track 10 times a year or so so an old beater bmw is a no go.
Old 12-30-2010 | 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Diamond
Sounds like the m3 is the one to go. I really dont get where people drive their m5's. I dont know where I would use all that power if not for a track. Even an m3 with 420 hp would be tough to use on a street but 505 on a heavy car-I mean I love them and would love to own one as I love the e60 but does anyone ever use even half of the power!

Its not going to be a dedicated track car-just a car that I want to track 10 times a year or so so an old beater bmw is a no go.
Haven't you figured it out yet?

Todays world is all about excessiveness!

If we were to just use only what what we needed everyone would be in a apt and have 2-3 cylinder cars/ or use public transportation..
Old 01-01-2011 | 08:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

An M3 without a doubt.

Quick Reply: m3 or m5 for a track car?