E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M series production halted

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005 | 03:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Text (translated by recipient "Autobahnraser") received today on oil pumps for V10 engines.

Dear customer,

you did order the BMW M6. As you know, cars of the BMW M GmbH feature sporty high-performance, luxury aesthetics and innovativ functionality. It is in particular the combination between purebred spot car and elegant GT coupe that makes these cars so fascinating and unique, both on the the track and for daily use.

As a manufacturer we make especially great demands on quality of these cars concerning construction and production.

Conceptually the cars fulfil these criteria, of course. Unfortunately, our quality test showed up that the delivered oil pumps for the V10 engine fail to meet the agreed specification. Since a damage to the engine is not out of the question we have stopped delivery of the M5/M6 for the time being.

Of course every endeavour is being made to proceed with delivery as soon as possible; a sufficient number of perfect working oil pumps is a precondition. Delivery of first cars has already started and will extent into the end of August probably.

Dear customer, with this letter we want to apologize for the delay of your car and assure you that we work with total commitment to keep that period of time as short as possible.

Even if your excitement at the prospect of your car is being negatively affected we still hope that the 'sheer driving pleasure' of your new M6 will more than compensate for the time of waiting.

Regards
BMW M GmbH

No indication of when the production actually halted or when it picked up or will pick up.

Should not impact US M6 deliveries since they are so far out anyway, but possible M5 might be slowed down some.
Old 07-13-2005 | 06:28 AM
Senior Members

This is the second production stop, due to faulty oil pumps!

? had my oil pump changed before my car was delivered, so it didn?t affect my delivery date.