E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Looking to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy...

Hey gang,
So I've owned my '06 530i for a few years now and always wanted to step up to the M5 some day. Well now that I can pick up a used E60 M5 for not much more than I paid for my 530, I'm in the market.

What first prompted me was when I needed my local shop to install a new battery. Besides repairs, they also have a consignment showroom with plenty of tasty German vehicles. One of which was a 2006 M5 with about 80K on the clock.

I ended up taking it out for a test drive and walked away a bit disappointed. You know, meeting your heros and all that. Around town it really didn't "feel" much faster than my 530. Talking to a friend about it, he mentioned the E60 M5 doesn't really pick up in torque until after 5K, which is where the E39 M5 starts to drop off (so it feels faster around town). The dyno charts confirmed this.

My other issue is the SMG. It seems to me like you'd have to be constantly adjusting the shift firmness as you drive. Softer around the streets, then jack it up when you want to get on it (on-ramps, etc). Before I found out I needed to adjust the shift settings, I had it in "2" while getting on the freeway. The shifts were so soft I felt sick from getting pitched forward in my seat every time it changed cogs. I also had the M button on for this part.

Before I decide that an E60 M5 is not for me, I wanted to get feedback from some actual owners. Am I not driving this car right? Was there maybe something wrong with the SMG on this car? What's a 500HP monster sedan like to live with on a daily basis (besides the horrible gas mileage)? I'm thinking of checking out another example, but do you think I'll get the same results?

Thanks- Marc
Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Marc,
Having owned a 545i and now an M5 I can tell you the E60 M5 is indeed completely different. Gutless around town but if you get those rpms past 5k the power is intoxicating. Sounds to me that you need to do another test drive with SMG set to S5 and bring those RPMs up. The SMG transmission is jerky no doubt and takes time to learn. My wife hated SMG but is now used to it and has learned to drive it.

As for daily driving, if gas mileage is a concern and you commute a fair distance, expect to be at the pump often. Mixed driving I get around 13/14mpg but of course this all depends on how you drive.

The real factor behind M5 ownership is the maintenance/repair costs. I'd recommend having around $5k set aside each year for preventative maintenance and repairs. At 80K you are right at the point that many components could need replacing. Below is a list of items to consider:

- SMG Clutch - $3,000 parts and labor
- Vanos Solenoids - $1000 parts and labor
- Vanos Pump - $4000 parts and labor
- Brake Rotor Replacement - $1500
- Brake Pad Replacement - $500
- Oil changes - $200-$300 (every 7,000 miles)
- Oil Cooler Replacement - $700 or $1100 for RPI (stock is prone to failure)
- Spark Plugs - $500 parts and labor
- Thrust Arm Bushings $500

I'm sure I'm missing more but those are the immediate things that come to mind. Please understand, I'm not trying to scare you out of buying an M5 but rather letting you know what every E60 M5 buyer should expect before purchasing. I bought my M5 about 9 months ago and the reason I bought the one I did was because it had a fresh clutch and previous maintenance was pretty good albeit having to do some immediate preventative maintenance I felt was necessary. I've already done tons of preventative just to be safe.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Members

Thanks for the reply (I finally remembered to come back and check the site).

When you say that the SMG "takes time to learn," what do you recommend doing to get used to it? Does it require constant adjustment and planning (2 around town, then 5 when planning to jam on the freeway)? Do you need to operate the throttle differently (let off on your shift, as you would a manual)?

I'm hoping to find one where the vanos work has all be done recently, but hadn't thought about the clutch. Are they usually giving out around 80K (+/- depending on the driver)?

Thanks!
- Marc
Old 06-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure what mode you had the m5 in when you test drove it but it should feel different than the 530i.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Members

Did you hit the M-Button at any time during your test drive? If not then schedule another test drive, warm up the engine, put the beast into M mode and then punch that accelerator pedal. The s85 engine is built to rev high so you need to select your gears strategically to stay in the high torque band of the engine. 4500-7500 rpm is a very comfortable range for the S85 engine to operate in. The sound of the V10 is intoxicating!!

Socale's comments on maintenace and fuel consumption are very valid. Be prepared to do a lot more preventative maintenance on your M5 over your current 530i if you want to keep the M5 in good shape for the next 3-5 years. I've dropped at least $20k into my '06 over the last 3 years performing PM's and upgrades to existing components that were starting to wear.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Members

There's a reason M5's are so cheap. There's also a reason Maserati Quattroportes and other seemingly expensive cars are so cheap: maintenance and cost to repair catastrophic failures.

A lot of people can afford to get into the M5 now but the purchase price is a small part of the equation. A lot of those same people are now car poor, essentially owning a car they can't afford to fix. You have to be prepared to drop some coin on a clutch, an SMG pump, Vanos issues, etc. They can (and do) creep up and cost thousands to fix. If you're coming from a 530 the M5 is going to give you maintenance sticker shock.

I would suggest that anyone that uses the term "I can finally afford it" when referring to an E60 M5 most likely can not afford it.

Maybe another suggestion for you and I hope the M5 guys don't chastise me here. For the record I've owned an E60 M5, 550i and currently a 535. Consider jumping into a 535 and putting a tune on it. For street driving (not upper RPMs where the S85 shines) the car will feel noticeably faster than the M5, gas mileage will be heaps better, not to mention better reliability and cheaper repair bills when stuff breaks. On the M5 you worry about VANOS issues, clutches, SMG pumps, etc. Any one of those will generally run thousands to repair. On the N54 powered cars you worry about injectors, high pressure fuel pumps and wastegate actuators in the turbos. The turbos and fuel pumps are all on extended warranty (even if the car is no longer under warranty) and the injectors are cheap enough to replace. My 535 put down 375hp on a Mustang dyno and similar setups put down 400 on a dynojet. All I have is an intake, tune and a mix of e85 fuel.

Comparatively an M5 would still rock my world from any kind of highway run but if the majority of your driving is stoplight to stoplight the 535 would be the faster car, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to drive (gas) and is available with the M Sport package that gives you extremely competent handling, M5(ish) looks and you'll also be able to get a model several years newer than a comparable M5 with less miles for the same money. The only thing you don't get? The amazing sound of the S85 and the ass kicking shifts of the SMG.

Last edited by Mike_K; 06-30-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 M5 / 2008 M6 / 2003 FX35

i just got a e60 m5 for sale, also a e63 m6, i've own the m5 for more than 4 years and the m6 for 2 years almost. if you got time, i can give you a tour, sure you will change you impression to SMG.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Awesome and very accurate response! I also went from an 545i to my M5....OMG what a difference. I do most of my work myself or rely on buddies otherwise yes, you need to prepare for upkeep.

Happy hunting!!!

Originally Posted by socale39
Marc,
Having owned a 545i and now an M5 I can tell you the E60 M5 is indeed completely different. Gutless around town but if you get those rpms past 5k the power is intoxicating. Sounds to me that you need to do another test drive with SMG set to S5 and bring those RPMs up. The SMG transmission is jerky no doubt and takes time to learn. My wife hated SMG but is now used to it and has learned to drive it.

As for daily driving, if gas mileage is a concern and you commute a fair distance, expect to be at the pump often. Mixed driving I get around 13/14mpg but of course this all depends on how you drive.

The real factor behind M5 ownership is the maintenance/repair costs. I'd recommend having around $5k set aside each year for preventative maintenance and repairs. At 80K you are right at the point that many components could need replacing. Below is a list of items to consider:

- SMG Clutch - $3,000 parts and labor
- Vanos Solenoids - $1000 parts and labor
- Vanos Pump - $4000 parts and labor
- Brake Rotor Replacement - $1500
- Brake Pad Replacement - $500
- Oil changes - $200-$300 (every 7,000 miles)
- Oil Cooler Replacement - $700 or $1100 for RPI (stock is prone to failure)
- Spark Plugs - $500 parts and labor
- Thrust Arm Bushings $500

I'm sure I'm missing more but those are the immediate things that come to mind. Please understand, I'm not trying to scare you out of buying an M5 but rather letting you know what every E60 M5 buyer should expect before purchasing. I bought my M5 about 9 months ago and the reason I bought the one I did was because it had a fresh clutch and previous maintenance was pretty good albeit having to do some immediate preventative maintenance I felt was necessary. I've already done tons of preventative just to be safe.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

Or you can buy a 13 m5 like me and have lightning fast shifts. I like the e60 m5 but after driving both the 13 is leaps ahead.