E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

I finally gave in ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Congrats!! Looks good!!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Totally 100% awesome car, and a great color. Congrats, for sure.

Enjoy.....as if you won't.......
Old 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Members

Before you run off and do that Dinan suspension you should know that they are having problems with their springs. They dont even make their own springs go to m5board and do a search you will see what im talking about.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='563472' date='Apr 17 2008, 09:43 PM
...I still maintain my stronghold for driving a manual transmission (which is why I still have my 92 Accord 5-speed as the daily fuel sipper), but the SMG experience was just phenomenal. OH QUIT COMPLAINING AND TRY SOMETHING NEW, I said to myself! Plus it's nice having that extra 7th gear on the freeway...
Congrats, Very nice ride.

I think the reason you are so happy with the SMG (even considering your stronghold) is because the SMG is a manual transmission

Sequential MANUAL Gearbox

It is the best of both worlds. After driving my E39 M5 for the last 175,000 miles and a Mustang Cobra (manual) for about 120,000 miles, I was thinking about going with something automatic but did not want to be disconnected that much from the road. You will find that you did not sacrifice much at all, just a tired left leg.

I LOVE THE SMG. I think those that complain about the SMG wanted an automatic and are disappointed not understanding what the SMG really is. You wanted a manual and sounds like you were pleasantly surprised that this is what you got. Drive it like a manual (understanding how the car clutches and needs to interpret your pedal input to clutch and rev correctly) and stay out of D-mode. I have tried sometimes to use D-mode and before I know it I am shifting without even realizing I am. My bet is you will too. I truly think you have to understand the SMG and know how to drive a manual to appreciate it.

D-mode is good for reaching in the back seat or eating a cheeseburger or something and still an impressive accomplishment to get the car to totally shift a manual transmission when you don't want to. I think some people expect it to be a steptronic or something. They did a great job getting the car to clutch for you, but to get it to read your mind and shift at the point you inherently will expect it to everytime... Well I think that is a lot to ask of the car. In other words it will just never be in the right gear for each individual and their driving mood at that moment and your instinct will take over and you'll be shifting without even knowing it. You will get what I mean if you didn't already figure that out driving it.

Now, go sell your Honda... ...wait hang onto it , I just paid 4.15 per gallon today!!!

Congratulations, the car just gives and gives and you will have no regrets... BTW, I read a review somewhere that the manual M5 clutch does not hold up during a long day of testing on the track. I have no problems with the clutch in my SMG handling the power and others have done run after run on the 1/4 mile and at least one with nos and the car runs strong all day. Right decision IMHO...
Old 04-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='563472' date='Apr 17 2008, 09:43 PM
ECF and Company,

Allow me to introduce you to my new baby monster. As some of you already know, I've always wanted to step up to an M5 6-speed. As much fun as my Dinan550 was, there was just something missing. I think it was that awesome V10 soundtrack. Then I shocked myself ... being a manual transmission driver since the day I turned 16, I was SO not going to settle for an SMG. Until I drove one (again after about a year) last Saturday. There she was tucked behind three rows of '08 550s gleaming in the red hot San Jose sun at Stevens Creek BMW. That was the first time I saw Indianapolis Red in person and it immediately made me think of my Bordeaux Red Pearl '92 Honda Accord. Then I thought to myself ... why not have TWO red cars?!

Immediately, three salesguys embarked in moving the 550s out of the way so that the red monster could come out and play. I settled in and took her for a spin and for some crazy reason, I smiled longer (and it hurt more, too!) and harder driving this SMG beast vs. my experience driving the 6-speed. I still maintain my stronghold for driving a manual transmission (which is why I still have my 92 Accord 5-speed as the daily fuel sipper), but the SMG experience was just phenomenal. OH QUIT COMPLAINING AND TRY SOMETHING NEW, I said to myself! Plus it's nice having that extra 7th gear on the freeway. Obviously mileage sucks, but the way the car sounds more than makes up for that mpg deficiency. Just 900 miles to go before I can finally hear the V10 SING! I already love how the V10 makes itself heard once you pass 3500 rpm. So P400 and S4 it is till the 1200 mile mark.

Tomorrow is clear-bra installation, and next week is Dinan Stage 1 suspension installation ... and the (re)installation of my Dinan rims. Nice to know that the E60 550 and E60 M5 share the same part numbers for the rims! Michelin PS2s are on their way as well, and by next week's end, she'll have a Dinan badge on the opposite end of the M5 badge. No engine/exhaust/intake mods for now. I'm quite happy with the power so it doesn't make sense to me (yet) to add more power. Suspension and rims for now and I'll see how things progress from there. That Dinan exhaust sure does look (and sound) good, though.

Some pics during delivery ...
Congrats Bro!

Well done! Come down to Triple AAA and let them customize your exhaust when you are ready. You won't be disappointed.

So Cal
Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by aznronin' post='563942
I have tried sometimes to use D-mode and before I know it I am shifting without even realizing I am. My bet is you will too. I truly think you have to understand the SMG and know how to drive a manual to appreciate it.

Now, go sell your Honda... ...wait hang onto it , I just paid 4.15 per gallon today!!!
Haha, you guessed correctly! I admit that I do miss the clutch, but for some reason it feels great driving the SMG as if I were in a video game. As for selling the Honda ... NO WAY! I've had that car since I started college in '92 and she's been super reliable. You won't find many 15-16+ year old Accords that look showroom new like mine does! Haha, it was easier tossing the 550 aside but I just can't part with Old Faithful. Especially when that car can last almost two weeks without refueling (unlike the M5 that visits Chevron every 48 hours).
Old 04-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='564115' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:57 PM
...I admit that I do miss the clutch, but for some reason it feels great driving the SMG as if I were in a video game...
NO, you miss the clutch PEDAL, HaHa

Or even... you miss having control over the clutch.

The clutch is still there, believe me. You will see that it is in better hands or at least faster hands, though.

After plenty of thought myself, the only thing I can think that I miss is being able to engage the clutch and coast whenever I want to (but who cares about that considering the trade-off). Can't think of anytime I would like to control it other than in this situation. Shifting, launches, etc. are all faster and smoother (most of the time) then you could do if you were controlling it and with a little practice you will be able to have some control over it by telling the car what to do with the clutch through throttle input. Just wait until you get it broken in and put it in S6 and bang gears at redline (there is no feeling like it and the car becomes an animal).

You should have no regrets and will soon come to the realization that you were silly for ever considering anything else (I came to that realization rather quickly myself).
Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

in the immortal words of paris hilton, "THAT'S HOT".
Old 04-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Congratulations...next time don't let them put the baby monster through the BMW car wash!
Old 04-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Hot diggity! Congratulations! Very nice color choice.

Quick Reply: I finally gave in ...