E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

How to add a Sub Woofer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 535i without the upgrade stereo package. I like to add a sub woofer, but was told that I cannot unless I re-wire the car with cooper wire, since the car stereo is wired with fiber. Is there a way to add the add the sub woofer to the current setup? I called my BMW dealer and they do not do sub woofer add on.
TIA...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Did you try this:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php...search_in=core

- Antti -
Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Bevo
I have a 2010 535i without the upgrade stereo package. I like to add a sub woofer, but was told that I cannot unless I re-wire the car with cooper wire, since the car stereo is wired with fiber. Is there a way to add the add the sub woofer to the current setup? I called my BMW dealer and they do not do sub woofer add on.
TIA...
The factory audio system does not have preamp outputs, so you will need to purchase a line-level converter. This device takes the speaker-level output from the factory amplifier and converts it to a preamp level signal which can then be plugged into an aftermarket amplifier. At that point, you add an amp and the subwoofer and you're all set.

If you visit a custom audio shop they will know about line converters and can advise on which one is correct for your situation.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The factory audio system does not have preamp outputs, so you will need to purchase a line-level converter. This device takes the speaker-level output from the factory amplifier and converts it to a preamp level signal which can then be plugged into an aftermarket amplifier. At that point, you add an amp and the subwoofer and you're all set.

If you visit a custom audio shop they will know about line converters and can advise on which one is correct for your situation.

Thanks!! I did not know if the factory system has a preamp out.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE

Will the line-level converter works on a fiber speaker output from the factory amplifier?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Bevo
Will the line-level converter works on a fiber speaker output from the factory amplifier?

In my Logic7 system in my E60 545i, the amplifier is located in the trunk on the driver side. We used the speaker-level outputs from that amp to hook up my Audison BitOne processor, which acts as my line converter. Works perfectly.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport pak. all the other goodies.. MODS: M5 front, sides, aFe throttle body spacer, RPI Red scoop, amber angle eyes, powder coated sport rims, tinted tail lights. smoked side blinkers, color of car and rims roundels, real carbon fiber roof spoiler, 550i number flat black, LED license plate lights, MTX 12' sub, dyno mat, tinted Windows, flat black grill, flat black exhaust tips, light smoke headlight tint, foged out eyelash, velocity booster.

i had a shop put in a sub woofer in my 545i and now my 550i..??