E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Highlights M School March 06'

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to M school at the Performance Center from March 16-18. Here are some highlights of the good times:

- The day after we arrived, we met three great engineers visiting from the M division. I had the opportunity to speak to them about what they love: cars and especially M cars. They participated in the events with the other 11 of us taking the class. Topics ranged from the notorious I-Drive to the future of automated automobiles.

- This program allows you to appreciate the differences between the M3 and M5. You get to drive them back to back in different conditions. It was interesting to see the general feeling of awe after the participants got out of the M5.

- The class is fast paced and you jump from one exercise to another. Adrenaline is kept flowing through the use of a stimulating instrument: the stopwatch. Individual competition is encouraged (b/n the 4 person groups) and at the end those against whom you were competing become your teammates.

- One of my favorite exercises was the wet handling course in the M5 (at the Michelin testing grounds). It combines many, if not all, of the car control skills being taught. I wish someone would have captured my laps on video. At one point, I accidentally turned off the wipers and was left at the mercy of my memory (for orientation) for a ?couple? of seconds. I couldn?t see anything!

- On the last day, after the before mentioned wet handling exercise (and close to the program closure), we received some hot laps around the Michelin track with the instructors on the pilot?s seat. When it was my turn I hopped in with MrDrifter. We were on the second car taking curves (and drifting) at over 110 mph- amazing vehicles. Immersed in the experience, a few curves later, I watched as the front car turned, we up shifted and accelerated into the corner drifting all the way, then suddenly? we hit the rumble strips going sideways. But the car maintained its course. Everything seemed normal, until we straightened out? then Jim calmly said: ?### we lost the rear suspension.?

Morals: 1. Do not hit the grotesque rumble strips going sideways at such high speeds.
2. Thank the M engineers for putting together a car that maintains its composure in all *situations*.
When we got out of the car the left rear wheel was facing inward at about 40 degrees.

I want to thank the instructors for an excellent time. All have vast experience in driving and their styles and characters while diverse, complement each other greatly; I learned something from each and every one of them.
Here is a provisional link for a small compilation of short videos I took with my camera. It will be broadcasted in google video later on. On the meantime, feel free to download ~87M.

http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=217...ad802d42818b275
Old 03-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sounds like you had a blast Stealthblue!

Thanks for posting the synopsis...
Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I just got around to watching the video -- sweet! Thanks helping to bring back some memories of my visit to Spartansburg!
Old 03-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

You are welcome Rudy. One side of my mind wishes I spent more time filming. But the other is glad it spent its time driving. Even with these few clips, my battery went dead mid-day. The camera missed out on some great driving. But that was the purpose, to serve as a vivid reminder of the good weekend and be able to share it.

Here is a nice video from a member of M5board (for his M5 Experience):
http://m3bigboy.homestead.com/files/M5_Dri..._Experience.wmv

I suspect the driver of the white M5 at the end is MrDrifter. Good move.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='260403' date='Mar 26 2006, 05:26 PM
You are welcome Rudy. One side of my mind wishes I spent more time filming. But the other is glad it spent its time driving. Even with these few clips, my battery went dead mid-day. I missed out on some great driving. But that was the purpose, to serve as a vivid reminder of the good weekend and be able to share it.

Here is a nice video from a member of M5board (for his M5 Experience):
http://m3bigboy.homestead.com/files/M5_Dri..._Experience.wmv

I suspect the driver of the white M5 at the end is MrDrifter .
Ummm.....WOW!! I'm not sure if I am giggling or drooling while watching that......how fun...thanks for sharing........
Old 03-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

My video is up on google now, in case you haven't seen it yet:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...+school&pl=true
Old 03-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I want to go! I'm sooooo sad... i was offered the chance to go back in 2002 and I passed it up. I'm very bummed about that.

Anyone want to take me as their guest?