E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

H&R Springs and Spacers Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I'm wacko.

I just went against what I just said, I am getting the H&R Sport Springs after all. Will be picking them up Saturday and installation of both H&R springs and spacers next Wednesday. I reasoned that if I end not liking the springs, I'll re-install the stock ones and put the H&R springs on eBay.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jiio' post='304677' date='Jun 28 2006, 03:12 PM
With the lowered springs, have you encountered any rubbing in either the front or back while doing spirited driving? I like to do spirited driving like you. I have see your stories over in bimmerforums.
Actually I only had problems with the slowest driving! 5 people in the car, EDC in 'comfort', very slowly turning up a hill, the back tires would rub. I had the inside of the wheel wells modified for $100, and no problems whatsoever since.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 (Oct. prod.) 530i Titanium Silver / Black Leather - prem. pkg., step,nav,park dist,comf seats,xenon, push start, comf accs, rear fold seats...can't remember anymore... Mods: Radenergie R-10's 20x 9,20x 10 Mich PS2 tires 245/35fr 285/30rr, Eibach prokit springs, AC Schnitzer front lip, ACS side skirts, ACS exhaust, ACS silver carbon interior and Hamann rear trunk spoiler...to be cont.

jiio , i would love to see pics when the mods are installed , should look great!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jiio' post='304770' date='Jun 28 2006, 06:10 PM
I'm wacko.

I just went against what I just said, I am getting the H&R Sport Springs after all. Will be picking them up Saturday and installation of both H&R springs and spacers next Wednesday. I reasoned that if I end not liking the springs, I'll re-install the stock ones and put the H&R springs on eBay.
Actually I think you're quite sane.

The H&R springs and spacers are the best mod for the money I've ever made to a car. Here's what you get:

1. Body/Center of gravity lowered by about 1 inch
2. Track widened by about 1 inch
3. Stiffer suspension

The net effect of these is to give you:

More precise steering
Better road feel
Complete elimination of understeer
Better lateral grip
Almost no body roll
Better weight transitions
Virtual elimination of brake-dive
Less 'squat' on acceleration
Quicker shifting/transition in fastest shift modes
Better aerodynamics
More aggressive stance
Wheels 'fill out' the wheelwells
All this with minimal change to ride comfort in EDC comfort mode.

Basically, the handling transformation is incredible. The car tracks like a go-kart, and feels like a 3,000 pound car. It tosses around like an M3. Plus you get a unique and incredibly aggressive look.

Good decision - let me know how you like it!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='305314' date='Jun 29 2006, 08:15 PM
Actually I think you're quite sane.

The H&R springs and spacers are the best mod for the money I've ever made to a car. Here's what you get:

1. Body/Center of gravity lowered by about 1 inch
2. Track widened by about 1 inch
3. Stiffer suspension

The net effect of these is to give you:

More precise steering
Better road feel
Complete elimination of understeer
Better lateral grip
Almost no body roll
Better weight transitions
Virtual elimination of brake-dive
Less 'squat' on acceleration
Quicker shifting/transition in fastest shift modes
Better aerodynamics
More aggressive stance
Wheels 'fill out' the wheelwells
All this with minimal change to ride comfort in EDC comfort mode.

Basically, the handling transformation is incredible. The car tracks like a go-kart, and feels like a 3,000 pound car. It tosses around like an M3. Plus you get a unique and incredibly aggressive look.

Good decision - let me know how you like it!
I was going to ask you how much if any the handling improved, but wow, that much better?

How would the understeer be eliminated with just springs though? Understeer is already built in, then in conjunction with a staggered setup, I don't understand how it would be eliminated by just springs and spacers.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='305408' date='Jun 30 2006, 02:46 AM
I was going to ask you how much if any the handling improved, but wow, that much better?

How would the understeer be eliminated with just springs though? Understeer is already built in, then in conjunction with a staggered setup, I don't understand how it would be eliminated by just springs and spacers.
You're lowering the cg, and significantly reducing the body roll, so that will reduce the load on the outside front tire as you're braking into a turn, which will reduce understeer. You're also increasing the front track by 12mm, and the rear track by 10mm, which gives you better cornering grip; a little more in front than back; and that should also reduce understeer. The combination is just phenomenal.

With EDC set to 'normal', the car tracks as well or better than an M3 in the low speed curves, and tracks better than just about anything I've ever driven in the high speed turns.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='305665' date='Jul 1 2006, 03:31 AM
You're lowering the cg, and significantly reducing the body roll, so that will reduce the load on the outside front tire as you're braking into a turn, which will reduce understeer. You're also increasing the front track by 12mm, and the rear track by 10mm, which gives you better cornering grip; a little more in front than back; and that should also reduce understeer. The combination is just phenomenal.

With EDC set to 'normal', the car tracks as well or better than an M3 in the low speed curves, and tracks better than just about anything I've ever driven in the high speed turns.
My maaan!!!!!! Congrats on the mods not so much for the looks but for the performance you get. I like the way you think.... Anyway...the immediate question is what happens when EDC is set on sport?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='305764' date='Jul 1 2006, 04:18 AM
My maaan!!!!!! Congrats on the mods not so much for the looks but for the performance you get. I like the way you think.... Anyway...the immediate question is what happens when EDC is set on sport?
I'll use EDC sport on perfectly smooth roads, of which there are few here in Cincinnati. If you encounter any irregularities in a turn, with EDC sport, the back end is just a little more jittery. There's a nice onramp I take most days, and there's a raised joint halfway through the turn. Going full blast, with EDC sport, the back end jumps out a foot or so when I hit the bump. With EDC normal it just tracks beautifully.

I also use EDC sport whenever I'm doing acceleration runs on my Gtech, or if I want to just wow somebody with the brutality of the S6 shifts.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='305665' date='Jun 30 2006, 05:31 PM

I'm glad you're happy with the results. I know all cars are different, but often times you won't rid yourself of understeer with even a full coilover system. You mention the M3, and I know a set of coilovers on that car does not get rid of the understeer. One would need sway bars to fully deal with the problem.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='306619' date='Jul 3 2006, 06:00 PM
I'm glad you're happy with the results. I know all cars are different, but often times you won't rid yourself of understeer with even a full coilover system. You mention the M3, and I know a set of coilovers on that car does not get rid of the understeer. One would need sway bars to fully deal with the problem.
I can't really say I've completely eliminated understeer until I've tracked the car. I suspect there will still be understeer in certain situations, but from what I can tell, it is greatly reduced. I won't have a full report until I hit the track in August.

Quick Reply: H&R Springs and Spacers Pics