E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

A funny story about my M5 and my wife...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

This is one of the reason I don't want to get married...My money is my money....I shouldn't have to explain to anyone how I should spend my money....Imho....
Old 03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='830909' date='Mar 30 2009, 04:31 PM
Last year, I swapped my stock exhaust system for all 3 sections through RPI (HF Cats, X-Pipe, Cans/Tips). Prior to that, I only had their Pulleys, Scoops, BMC Filters and Block Off Plates installed. Before I go any further, I LOVE RPI and their products. My car is considerably quicker, faster and pulls harder since going with the RPI treatment. I also LOVE the sound that my car makes when under load. It's the way the car was meant to sound. I will never return back to stock, nor will I go with another company.

With that said, ever since I did this swap, my wife hates the M. In fact, she hates it more and more as each day and week passes. HATES! She used to love driving it when it was stock, but her distaste for the car grows worse and worse each and every time we pull the car out of the garage. What does she hate? How loud it is, especially at a cold start. LOL!

When I ordered this exhaust system, I talked to Joe and Eloy and knew this was going to be a concern, especially since I live in NY where it gets extremely "cold" during the winter. Let me just say that starting this car in the winter brings a whole new meaning to the term "cold start". Hahahahahahaha!

During install, we took down all the heat shields under the underbelly of the car. It was a major job and took a lot more time for install, but it was probably well worth it. We lined Dynomat under every section of the car, then remounted all the heat shields, then installed the exhaust system. This was to remove as much sound inside the cabin and keep it as close to stock as possible. Essentially, I was trying to make it "Wife Proof". Although I'm sure it made a BIG difference, I was only kidding myself for those on the outside. One crack of the window or sunroof and whomever is behind you is suddenly deaf. LOL!

My first concern was that my wife was going to notice the different exhaust tips. For one, I immediately had my exhaust (Section 3) powdercoated black when they arrived via UPS. If anything, I figured she would notice this immediately, once mounted, since the stock exhaust was chrome. Believe it or not, she didn't.

My next concern was what excuse I was going to use for the new sound. You see, when I got the M, the FIRST thing my wife told me was that I couldn't do an exhaust on this car. I did the magnaflow on my 530 and she HATED how that sounded. She thought it was so Asian. I had to remind her that she married a half breed and to watch the derogatory comments. Hahahahaha!

So with that, my wife STILL doesn't know that my car has a new exhaust system. I am not kidding.

So what does she think makes that sound? Well, I had to come up with something. Something she would know nothing about. It had to be something that was believable. A word or term that she knew nothing of, but sounded just about right. So with that, I told her it was the Pulleys! That's right, I pulled it out of my arse and she bought it! To this day, she still buys it and that's 5 months later, no less.

Everytime we get into the M (weekends only, since I don't drive the car during the week), she tells me over and over how she HATES the Pulleys and if I can swap the "Pulleys". "Pulleys this" and "Pulleys that" is all she talks about when we get in the car. I have to look outside the drivers window each and every time and just smile and laugh to myself.

This weekend she told me not to swap the "pulleys" in her X5 or I was a dead man. Hahahahahahaha!! LOL!!!!

She really has no idea. I was so sure that she would notice the exhaust when I first installed it. I am still amazed to this day that she still buys the "Pulleys" story and doesn't even ask.

Oh, and most recently she asked how much the roof spoiler cost, as she noticed this new addition that was finally mounted (it was only sitting in a box in my garage for the last 4 months. LOL! ). I told her $50. She said "Yeah right, I'm sure it was more like $100". (You're right honey, it was more like $100). Fortunately, she didn't even notice the rear diffuser that was installed the same day and which also sitting in my garage for 4 months too. But if she asks, I'll just tell her it was $25, or for her sake, $50. Bahahahahahaha!

Hail to the Pulleys! Thank you Pulleys! Thank you to the Pulley Gods! What would I do without you Pulleys?!?!?!
That's a great story. These are the kind of little fibs that kep a marriage alive for years.

My wife does (or tries to do and I play along) the same thing to me with the jewlery she buys on what seems like a weekly basis from ShopNBC.com as in "oh honey, this diamond entrusted bracelet only cost $200 (yeah right, if you leave out the last zero it does!).
Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Dude, this is some funny shit. I'll have to remember about the "pulleys" for my own wife. Seriously though, later on if your wife is interested in a 525XI without pulleys that can run around circles your M5 let me know and we'll see about giving you a good deal. You see, without pulleys E60s are much faster since they don't have the extra weight...... Heck, I migt even consider parting with my E46 for you since it can even blow the doors off any average Gallardos or DB9. It's rumored that my E46 can even make a Bugatti Veyron look like molasses by comparison. Hey, that's what friends are for.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='831133' date='Mar 30 2009, 07:58 PM
Dude, this is some funny shit. I'll have to remember about the "pulleys" for my own wife. Seriously though, later on if your wife is interested in a 525XI without pulleys that can run around circles your M5 let me know and we'll see about giving you a good deal. You see, without pulleys E60s are much faster since they don't have the extra weight...... Heck, I migt even consider parting with my E46 for you since it can even blow the doors off any average Gallardos or DB9. It's rumored that my E46 can even make a Bugatti Veyron look like molasses by comparison. Hey, that's what friends are for.
Rumor has it, your 525xi can beat the Space Shuttle Discovery to the Moon and back.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Make sure to add some blinker fluid to the X5 to keep the noise down.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by ObD' post='831153' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:22 PM
Make sure to add some blinker fluid to the X5 to keep the noise down.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

I have your next one when you need it....muffler bearings....it's gotta be the muffler bearings.

I normally exhibit denial..."I'll probably just send that back..." throw it in the garage, and she forgets about it in a week or two
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='831163' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:32 PM
I have your next one when you need it....muffler bearings....it's gotta be the muffler bearings.

I normally exhibit denial..."I'll probably just send that back..." throw it in the garage, and she forgets about it in a week or two
That won't work. Why? The word muffler will trigger her to look at the exhaust and at the rear of the car. I want to keep her eyes away from the exhaust area at all times. You see, I told her Pulleys are in the front, so she doesn't focus on the rear. Wow... I just realized I'm a genius!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='831168' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:38 PM
That won't work. Why? The word muffler will trigger her to look at the exhaust and at the rear of the car. I want to keep her eyes away from the exhaust area at all times. You see, I told her Pulleys are in the front, so she doesn't focus on the rear. Wow... I just realized I'm a genius!
I am dying with laughter reading this. Doesn't the exhaust noise come from the back??
Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='831234' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:52 PM
I am dying with laughter reading this. Doesn't the exhaust noise come from the back??
Jesus, Scott...Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Quick Reply: A funny story about my M5 and my wife...