E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

FIFO M5

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005 | 09:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 28 2005, 07:26 PM
Thinking about all that's been said. I think that if one has scads of money, wants an M5 right now, and buys it for "too" much, then that's smart. In other words, I don't think it is dumb to pay an amount that, by someone else's standards, is too much for an item. Many will say that buying a 545i is dumb and that anyone who does so has more money than smarts.
[snapback]190326[/snapback]
Everytime I say this to friends and family, they shrug and think I'm crazy. But, it's all relative, that's what I try to explain to them. People will buy what they're comfortable paying. It becomes ridiculous only when one invests in something that will hurt them financially or becomes too risky.

To my friends that ask why I would "dump" over $60K on a car, I put it in terms they can understand:
I ask them why they would buy a widescreen HDTV when they can watch the same football game on a 13" tube. You won't believe how ignorant the answers are.
Old 10-31-2005 | 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Oct 31 2005, 01:07 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 28 2005, 07:26 PM']Thinking about all that's been said. I think that if one has scads of money, wants an M5 right now, and buys it for "too" much, then that's smart. In other words, I don't think it is dumb to pay an amount that, by someone else's standards, is too much for an item. Many will say that buying a 545i is dumb and that anyone who does so has more money than smarts.
[snapback]190326[/snapback]
Everytime I say this to friends and family, they shrug and think I'm crazy. But, it's all relative, that's what I try to explain to them. People will buy what they're comfortable paying. It becomes ridiculous only when one invests in something that will hurt them financially or becomes too risky.

To my friends that ask why I would "dump" over $60K on a car, I put it in terms they can understand:
I ask them why they would buy a widescreen HDTV when they can watch the same football game on a 13" tube. You won't believe how ignorant the answers are.
[snapback]191381[/snapback]
[/quote]
I am with you. It's all relative. And, what the heck if someone doesn't mind hurting themselves financially for a time-period of extra pleasure. They do it all the time with husbands, wives, houses, and etc. To each .... Of course, I'd rather not pay their bills indirectly later. So, I prefer that they not hurt themselves too badly financially.
Old 10-31-2005 | 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Not to hijack this thread, but I was at the local Maserati dealership over the weekend and got a chance to walk around and sit in the Quattroporte.

While I know there is another thread going on about the visceral power and speed qualities of the QP v. M5, but just from looks and interior feel alone, if I was going to drop 95k-100k on a super coupe, it would be the QP no doubt.

Thing is like jewelry wrapped in cowhide on 4-wheels.

Leather interior would make Louis Vuitton jealous. Exterior styling is both rakish and refined -- it's like a Ferrari decided to put on a tuxedo just for your party.

While the price is about 15k more than a similarly equipped M5 (and by the way some of the options and pricing is just ridiculous -- $600 for CD changer? $550 for run-flats? ), I'm coming quickly to the opinion that the QP is not only the better bargain but the better car than what the big blue Roundel can offer.

Now, I'm not saying anything about reliability of the QP (but then again there is that other thread about Consumer Reports and the low grade the 5er got), or how the car actually drives (no test drive, but then I've never driven an E60 M5 either), but just based on looks and quality of fit and finish alone, the QP is the hands down winner.
Old 10-31-2005 | 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 31 2005, 03:10 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I was at the local Maserati dealership over the weekend and got a chance to walk around and sit in the Quattroporte.?

While I know there is another thread going on about the visceral power and speed qualities of the QP v. M5, but just from looks and interior feel alone, if I was going to drop 95k-100k on a super coupe, it would be the QP no doubt.

Thing is like jewelry wrapped in cowhide on 4-wheels.?

Leather interior would make Louis Vuitton jealous.? Exterior styling is both rakish and refined -- it's like a Ferrari decided to put on a tuxedo just for your party.

While the price is about 15k more than a similarly equipped M5 (and by the way some of the options and pricing is just ridiculous -- $600 for CD changer? $550 for run-flats? ), I'm coming quickly to the opinion that the QP is not only the better bargain but the better car than what the big blue Roundel can offer.

Now, I'm not saying anything about reliability of the QP (but then again there is that other thread about Consumer Reports and the low grade the 5er got), or how the car actually drives (no test drive, but then I've never driven an E60 M5 either), but just based on looks and quality of fit and finish alone, the QP is the hands down winner.
[snapback]191468[/snapback]
I too think the QP is incredibly nice. It would be great for our "family car." It needs 500 HP for me though. You know me, I want to go straight very fast.
Old 11-01-2005 | 06:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 31 2005, 01:10 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I was at the local Maserati dealership over the weekend and got a chance to walk around and sit in the Quattroporte.?

Leather interior would make Louis Vuitton jealous.? Exterior styling is both rakish and refined -- it's like a Ferrari decided to put on a tuxedo just for your party.

Great feedback on the QP.
By any chance, have you had a chance to sit in a e65? Just wanted to hear a comparison between the two. Pictures I've seen of the QP int/exterior look amazing.
Old 11-01-2005 | 08:19 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 31 2005, 01:10 PM

I dragged my kids to Ferrari of San Francisco a few week ends ago and they had a QP in the showroom. The body is gorgeous, and the interior is exquisite--it is absolutely stunning. And they had 2 "slightly used" (under 200 miles) F430s in the Ferrari showroom--yum--only $250K each!