E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Extended and Full Merino Leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Anyone know the difference between Extended and Full Merino leather on the M5? On the BMW web site it states Extended Merino leather is standard, perforated Merino leather is a ?5,320 option and Full Merino Leather is also ?5,320 option. I'm confused
Old 07-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Members

Full leather adds leather to the dash, upper side panels, glove box... and some I don't remember. Check out www.m5board.com for pics.

You looking to buy an M5?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kchika' post='310476' date='Jul 13 2006, 08:50 PM
You looking to buy an M5?
Depending on how my business goes probably around late 06 to early 07.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: (E60) 535D M-Sport (DMS)

As already said, Full is the addition of leather to the top of the dash some lower dash panel areas & the tops of the doors. Mine has this but as i purchased new, that's just what the spec included.

I'd certainly not pay the ?5K+ list that BMW ask as i don't think it's worth that much extra.

I know perforated leather has to be taken in combo with the Cooled seats as the perforation is required to blow the air through, however i'm not sure if perforated is basically the same as full but with perforations, but given the price is the same i'd guess it is.

So ?5K for either full leather with no holes in the seats or full leather with holes for the bottom coolers (i think the coolers are a further extra). That's my assumption.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='310389' date='Jul 13 2006, 03:18 PM
Anyone know the difference between Extended and Full Merino leather on the M5? On the BMW web site it states Extended Merino leather is standard, perforated Merino leather is a ?5,320 option and Full Merino Leather is also ?5,320 option. I'm confused
Full leather covers virtually every plastic surface on the dash, doors and seats with leather. The only visible plastic is the radio/climate control center section, and the window button section on the doors. Everything else is leather, full dash, door panels, seatbacks, glove compartment, door pockets... And you should get the alcantara headliner as well. Definitely worth it IMO.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='310699' date='Jul 14 2006, 09:29 AM
And you should get the alcantara headliner as well.
I'm glad to hear you get the alcantara included as its just under ?1,000 as a stand alone option.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='310699' date='Jul 14 2006, 09:29 AM
Full leather covers virtually every plastic surface on the dash, doors and seats with leather. The only visible plastic is the radio/climate control center section, and the window button section on the doors. Everything else is leather, full dash, door panels, seatbacks, glove compartment, door pockets... And you should get the alcantara headliner as well. Definitely worth it IMO.
Yes but, only the dash top, door tops & certain dash lowers are additional when opting for FULL leather. The glovebox, lower doors door pockets glovebox & seats are exactly the same with the Extended Leather option which is FOC, that being all the areas that have the rougher looking leather as it's the very smooth leather that is added on the FULL leather package, so not that much extra for your ?5200.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='310743' date='Jul 14 2006, 05:13 PM
Yes but, only the dash top, door tops & certain dash lowers are additional when opting for FULL leather. The glovebox, lower doors door pockets glovebox & seats are exactly the same with the Extended Leather option which is FOC, that being all the areas that have the rougher looking leather as it's the very smooth leather that is added on the FULL leather package, so not that much extra for your ?5200.
Quite amusing to hear FOC with a ?63k car
Old 07-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w8pmc' post='310743' date='Jul 14 2006, 10:13 AM
Well, possibly the UK cars are different, but here in the US, the 'extended' leather doesn't have any leather whatsoever on any surface other than the seating surfaces, door armrests, and the console top and faceplate. All dashboard surfaces, glove compartment door, door surfaces other than armrests, map pockets, console sides, and seat sides and backs are plastic, There is really a huge difference in the two, especially with the headliner.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='311253' date='Jul 15 2006, 05:47 PM
Well, possibly the UK cars are different, but here in the US, the 'extended' leather doesn't have any leather whatsoever on any surface other than the seating surfaces, door armrests, and the console top and faceplate. All dashboard surfaces, glove compartment door, door surfaces other than armrests, map pockets, console sides, and seat sides and backs are plastic, There is really a huge difference in the two, especially with the headliner.
What i was saying & i don't think it differs between US & Europe is that the only EXTRA leather you get with Full as against Extended which is standard, is the top of the dash in smooth leather, the tops of the doors in smooth leather & perhaps a few pieces on the lower sections of dash in smooth leather (can't recall without looking) all other surfaces are exactly the same as you get with the standard extended option, so not that much extra for the ?5K. Not sure if the alcantara headliner is part of full leather, but it perhaps is & i know i have this in my car.

Perhaps you get more in the US when you opt for FULL leather, as my glovebox, seat backs, door pockets & lower door sections are no different to what i had in my 535d Sport which only had extended Merino leather, so the extra aint that great. Glad i've got it, but i'd not have paid out of my own money for it as an option.

Quick Reply: Extended and Full Merino Leather