E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

E60 Pre-Purchase Considerations...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Close to ordering 2008 550i Sport Packg w/ sport auto tran. Previous owner of 2000 328i and 2003 E39 M5
Talking

I have made the decision to go with the E60 M5 SMG and actuallly this might be a decent 1-2-3 thread for new M5 owners. Please excuse my noobiness but I love this stuff. My aptitude and willingness to learn all things BMW and more specific ///M is off the chart.

My next logical thought process leads me to color/options.....and lingering back there somewhere...mods!

Any opinions that you may have are greatly appreciated. I know there is a list of mods at m5board as well.

Here is what im going ot get.

Sapphire Black w/ Black Interior
DEBATING: Full Merino leather. Looks so nice on dash, etc.. but $3,500.00 and cant get Perf Leather without it.
Multi-Function Seats
Comfort Access
iPod/USB Adapter

I dont need anything else. I'll get the windows tinted so I dont need the rear/side sunshades.

MODS: I'll definately get the Pulleys and try an exhaust system that gets recommended to me from either board. Eisenmann looks like my first choice though. Whats this about removing the Charcoal filter.

What other mods would you say are necessities? ECU Tune?

What about the 3.91 Rear Diff from Dinan....does that give a boost to low end?

I DO NOT want to void any warranty but would love to boost the low end torque anyway I can.

I look forward to responses.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Contributors

Color options are always such a personal choice ...

Only suggestion I have is to get HUD. It is fantastic to have on a standard E60 ... and I'm sure it would be even more valuable on the M5 because it shows the revs.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by SSBaronM5' post='444274' date='Jul 6 2007, 06:31 PM
MODS: I'll definately get the Pulleys and try an exhaust system that gets recommended to me from either board. Eisenmann looks like my first choice though. Whats this about removing the Charcoal filter.

What other mods would you say are necessities? ECU Tune?

What about the 3.91 Rear Diff from Dinan....does that give a boost to low end?

I DO NOT want to void any warranty but would love to boost the low end torque anyway I can.

I look forward to responses.
welcome. the charcoal filter is a filter located right on top of the stock paper air filter, and is mostly there for just emissions. many that have had it, including myself, have removed it just for better airflow. next to the ecu remap, the differential is a mod that is said to give "the best bang for your buck". with a remap, it is said to be undetectable by the dealer. if they overwrite your ecu for any reason, you could always have it reflashed by the vendor you bought the remap from. hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Members

Mods are a slippery slope. Once you get started you can't stop. The easiest is the charcoal filter removal:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthrea...charcoal+filter

As far as the 3.91 diff and pulleys go I have the diff and its great for around town driving, but I'm getting the pulleys too! The pulleys are less expensive. This is a video we shot a couple weeks ago. The diff pulls early but the extra torque and Hp from the pulleys makes up the difference quickly.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99044
Old 07-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Members

My Ride: Close to ordering 2008 550i Sport Packg w/ sport auto tran. Previous owner of 2000 328i and 2003 E39 M5

Originally Posted by 905' post='444402' date='Jul 7 2007, 08:52 AM
Mods are a slippery slope. Once you get started you can't stop. The easiest is the charcoal filter removal:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthrea...charcoal+filter

As far as the 3.91 diff and pulleys go I have the diff and its great for around town driving, but I'm getting the pulleys too! The pulleys are less expensive. This is a video we shot a couple weeks ago. The diff pulls early but the extra torque and Hp from the pulleys makes up the difference quickly.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99044

Thanks for the link 905! Sweet video!

In the last draft against the "stock" M5, what mode was Darrin Dallas in? Was he paddling? Which gear was he rolling in at 30mph? just curious.

So together with the 3.91 diff, the pulleys plus exhaust and say an Eisenmann exhaust (dont know what springs ans spacers are)...that would give a pretty nice pull?

Its possible that an ECU tune can be wiped away by BMW service?

Any chance of getting a lay person's definition of rear differential...? Sorrry for all the questions...it will be over soon.

Thanks, Ray
Old 07-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Members

We all used paddles. Rolling start in 2nd gear at around 30. From a power perspective, the 3.91 and pulleys and charcoal filter removal are the easiest, quickest, best bang... It will set you back around $3000 (for the pulleys and diff) if I remember correctly.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

(Ps. springs and spacers are for looks and handling)
Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SSBaronM5' post='444404' date='Jul 7 2007, 08:10 AM
Its possible that an ECU tune can be wiped away by BMW service?
Yes, thats the hassle. Then you have to have it refashed. Active autowerk will do the reflash if your dealer messes it up, for I think $100. But you have to pull the chip out and send it to them. If you're thinking about chips. pick a local place so it will be more convenient.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Ask bone or wolf, they should help alot
Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Welcome to the forum Ray! That's a nice color combo.

1) Get HUD like Tachyon suggested. The M View is great; shows you the rpm curve, gear and speed. It's also great to have the navigation directions displayed on the windshield.

2) Exhaust for to bring out the true voice of your beast. The Eisenmann ovals are one of my favorites. I'm also very happy with my RDSport system. There are lots to choose from out there and it'll boil down to what kind of sound you're looking for as well as looks (tips).

3) Pulley seems to be the best bang for the buck and then the diff. Retail price-wise, EvoSport pulley is $699 and the Dinan diff is $2999.

4) ECU tuning to improve overall throttle response and driveability. Dinan hasn't released their software yet but I believe they will reflash it for free if it gets erased by a CIP upgrade.

5) How about a Sprint Booster: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98290
Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Members

Global Warming - get your windows tinted!

Quick Reply: E60 Pre-Purchase Considerations...