E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

What's your M5's Engine Oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 M5

Hi guys,

I got to drive my new (used) Beast for almost 3 week/1,500 miles now (including business trips to Louisville and Milwaukee) and was already alerted by the iDrive to add oil as it supposedly was low. I've added 1.5 liters since, but the amber LED in the instrument cluster (shows when pressing the CHECK button) didn't show much change. When I added the first 1/2 quart, it went up to 0.7L, but not for long. Now, and after another week - and after adding a full quart yesterday - it seems to be stuck on 0.3L (=no movement).

Checking my Oil level using the iDrive menu today, it says everything is OK with the engine oil level.

I find this rather scary! I added a full quart and it didn't show a difference in the amber (cluster) display?! WTH!! Did the $tealer$hip maybe sell me a "problem child", or is this normal behaviour for the mighty V10?

Lastly, how much oil do you need to replace/top off with your Beasts?
Thanks for sharing your oil-related experiences and other input...

BTW... Yes, I did check for tell-tale signs on the ground (oil drips etc), but couldn't find anything... No obvious leaks, so it seems.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

BMW's position on engine oil consumption:

11.0 Oil Consumption

All engines normally consume a certain amount of oil. This is necessary in order to properly lubricate the cylinder walls, pistons, piston rings etc. In addition, engines with less than 6,000 miles will generally consume additional oil because the components are not fully seated. Therefore, oil consumption complaints received prior to 6,000 miles cannot be considered.
Once a new or rebuilt engine has accumulated 6,000 miles this procedure should be used if there is a drastic change in the oil consumption rate (i.e. the oil consumption rate triples) under similar driving conditions or if the oil consumption rate exceeds 1 qt. per 750 miles at any time. Refer to S.I. Bulletin B 11 05 84 (888).

All Motorsport Engines:
Due to their increased output and maximum engine speeds, these engines are allowed a maximum consumption of 2.5 quarts per 1,000 miles.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Members

Cool

Originally Posted by vkhong
BMW's position on engine oil consumption:

[..]
All Motorsport Engines:
Due to their increased output and maximum engine speeds, these engines are allowed a maximum consumption of 2.5 quarts per 1,000 miles.
----

WOW!! Even though that's kinda scary that the engines need that much oil, it makes perfect sense to me (need I say "V10", "500HP".. he he?).
Glad to see my car seems alright [:big sigh of relief:]

-- Thanks much, vkhong!!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by ZGERMAN
----

WOW!! Even though that's kinda scary that the engines need that much oil, it makes perfect sense to me (need I say "V10", "500HP".. he he?).
Glad to see my car seems alright [:big sigh of relief:]

-- Thanks much, vkhong!!!!
Wow thats insane!!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Members

Thumbs down

I don't know, guys, but something's just not right with the car:

Since I could not find 10W-60 engine oil in any auto shop in a 10-mile radius around work today, I settled for 4 quarts of 15W-50...which comes closest (so the word in the Interwebs) to the 10W-60 that's supposedly the only one that should be used in any "M" engine.

I gradually added 3 quarts (stretched over the afternoon), but neither that frickin' amber LED display, nor the iDrive show any difference in fill level.They keep reading "0.3L" (display) and "O.K." (iDrive). -- Guys, I'm starting to freak....!!

Any idea what's going on... or how can that be??
It's not like the engine was dry when I drove the first 1,500 Miles, and I didn't get any warnings either. I'd fill in more, just to see if the oil gauges will finally change, but I'm afraid to add any more oil, as I may blow the engine/gaskets by overfilling it... I suppose.

WHAT CAN I DO?? -- HEEEELP !!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Contributors

If your oil level is reading between "OK/Full" and "Add", I would leave it alone. Unless you're going on a long trip, I wouldn't worry about keeping it at "Full" all the time.

Not sure about about changing oil on a dry sump system, but could you take it to a shop or a BMW Center, drain the oil, capture the oil in clean containers (such as 5 qt jugs) and measure how much oil the engine held? With the clean containers, you could return the oil to the engine after measuring. I believe your engine holds 9.0 L or 9.5 qt. If you fill the engine with 9 L of oil, and the oil sensor is read Full or near Full, you should be good to go. When the oil gets to "Add", just add oil then. On my E60, E90, GM and Lexus automobiles, that means add one quart. In my E90, the sensor requires a few minutes of normal driving to determine the current oil level.

In your case, I would worry about overfilling, if you are adding this much oil in a short time / distance, due to a defective oil level sensor.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
If your oil level is reading between "Full" and "Add", I would leave it alone. Unless you're going on a long trip, I wouldn't worry about keeping it at "Full" all the time.
In your case, I would worry about overfilling, if you are adding this much oil in a short time / distance, due to a defective oil level sensor.
Thanks again, vkhong!
I guess I'll get myself 9 Liter 10W-60, somehow & quick, and simply do an oil change this weekend. Seems that's the only reliable way to know for sure...
And, if that doesn't change anything as far as the displays are concerned, the $taler$hip will get to hear from me...!!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Contributors

Some useful info in PDF files regarding BMW E60 M5 S85 oil service:
E60 M5 - DIY Oil Change

If replacing oil, fill with 8L or 8 qt and go from there.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Members

Thanks, bud... I'm not worried about the actual oil change, though. I've done that plenty o' times on my 530i.

BTW, the gauges in my M5 don't show "Full" either - which would be the signal for me to back off...

Well... what can I say after 3 weeks with my M5? -- This just blows!
Yes, the engine is beautiful and blows my socks off whenever I kick the pedal.
But, not enough that the car is sucking gas in epic proportions, I also have to jump through hoops to get the f*cking expensive 10W-60 oil!!!

Guess I'll simply trade the M5 for a stinkin' Hyundai, or some other Korean/Japanese crap car; at least I won't have to worry about those things anymore. Might as well use salad oil for one of those...

It's just not fair!!!
[NO, I'm not really serious about trading in my M5.... and, YES, I'm big -time annoyed about all these new problems popping up ever since I got the car!!]

Thanks & good night everyone...
Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Members

Since my full oil change the car has got a lot better with it's consumption.

If you feel that your putting too much in and the Oil change is near then I'd go and get it done.

Quick Reply: What's your M5's Engine Oil consumption?