E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Diff b/w Smg and Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.
Angry

I know enuff about SMG by now but what is the manual like?... What about the gear settings? Power? Damping controls? cuz i dun see any next to the gear box as they are on the SMG. Is it just as fun as the SMG? Most CPO's are manual and we know y... but would a manual cut it over an SMG?... Do they have similar options? I know it all about preferences but still... Also are they're any differences b/w 07 to 2010? cuz i am going big this time... Thanx for the inputs i appreciate it>... (The 06 is too much of a headache thinkin about what might go wrong and when?)
Kevin
Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

you live in NYC, you shouldnt be driving a manual, also with the manual you can not turn DSC completely off, i've read that manual transmission is alot more restrictive than the SMG.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

Originally Posted by 545iPoeser
you live in NYC, you shouldnt be driving a manual, also with the manual you can not turn DSC completely off, i've read that manual transmission is alot more restrictive than the SMG.
If only smg weren't such bitches with issues.. man we'd be relieved, who must know this better than you lol.. Man they need to recall all the damn SMGs.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

Manual is definitely going to be more reliable. And you CAN in fact turn DSC fully off with manual M5s. If the car in question does not do it then you simply need to take it to the dealer for a software update to allow it to fully disengage DSC
Old 02-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5 Alpine White/ Indy Red 6spd

Originally Posted by BMWPower06
Manual is definitely going to be more reliable. And you CAN in fact turn DSC fully off with manual M5s. If the car in question does not do it then you simply need to take it to the dealer for a software update to allow it to fully disengage DSC
Thank you for this thoughtful "WELL INFORMED" Post
Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

06's are trouble? uh o... lol

What problems have you ran into?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by 545iPoeser
I have a manual 04 545i and can fully disengage DSC by simply holding down the DSC button for approx 5 seconds. If I simply push the button it only parcially disengages DSC. Sorry to revive an old thread but unless I'm missing something you can fully disengage DSC in a manual 545i.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

Originally Posted by cmoore_
I have a manual 04 545i and can fully disengage DSC by simply holding down the DSC button for approx 5 seconds. If I simply push the button it only parcially disengages DSC. Sorry to revive an old thread but unless I'm missing something you can fully disengage DSC in a manual 545i.
It was different for early M5s, they could only turn DSC to MDM, you could never fully turn DSC/MDM off, for liability reasons. As I said tho, a software update has been released for the early 6mt M5s to allow them to fully turn off DSC
Old 03-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmoore_
i was able to do that on all my beemers, Ms are different.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC
Thank you for this thoughtful "WELL INFORMED" Post

excuse me for my "Misinformed" information.

Quick Reply: Diff b/w Smg and Manual?