E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

DeTuned LC

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by ///MAlhadeff' post='211415' date='Dec 14 2005, 07:26 PM
i just bought my M5 3 days ago with 1700 miles on it, so the full power is availalbe. I can assure you all that the acceleration time from BMW are very modest. I have raced many cars so far, and done numerous runs, including my friends 996TT X50. 5 times the M5 wins, from a roll and from a standstill. I have a 996tt as well and immediately I could feel that the M was faster from the first drive.

launch control isnt even necessary, if you are in 1st gear with smg 6 and dsc off, if you just mash the pedal from a standstill it will light them up, hook up, and take off chirping 2nd and 3rd gear upshifts. All I can say is this is the best BMW street car ever, and Ive heard a rumor that Dinan has squeezed over 600bhp already from ecu and exhaust

I did many laps with my M5 when it was stock. at Willow Springs 2 days ago, and can assure you that it is faster than my 996tt The brakes, turnin in response, weight transfer, and acceleration is unbelievable for a sedan, you forget what kind of car you are driving.
Boy, you don't waste any time do you!
Buy it one day, drive at the track the next day.

Thanks for your feedback. Looking forward to hearing more...and welcome to the forum!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sixsticks' post='201503
I didn't realize BMWNA was doing this to the M5's in the US.

I hope the auto mags here include this in their reports/analyses. This needs to be disclosed especially for potential buyers and enthusiasts who may not be getting (read: paying) what they think they're getting.
I completely agree! I'm one of those unfortunate souls who bought one thinking I'll be getting the "regular" LC. As I have said in my earlier thread regarding "watered down LC", no one in the world of automotive journalism mentioned anything about the U.S. market getting a detuned LC. For me, either you get the real thing or none at all! Maybe I'll change my tune when I get the car but my enthusiasm is dampened a bit.
[/quote]

US Launch Control is more than just watered down when compared to cars across the pond. Not only are RPM's reduced to just above idle, the car's ability to AUTOMATICALLY UPSHIFT IN L/C has essentially been eliminated.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

A very high percentage (almost 2 out of 3) M5 owners are extremely upset about the crippling of the US lanch control. BMW has not handled this well, and they have not offered a clear explanation as to why US launch control is sub-optimal. You can find out more if you check out this link:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63526

I have to agree with the people that are upset - BMW marketed the heck out of this feature, then basically eliminated it without telling anyone. The US 'launch control' really is just a program that lets the engine rev to 1600 rpm, then dumps the clutch. No adjustable rpm, no clutch modulation or control, and no automatic shifting at redline.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5, F430, E60 545i

Hey guys... F Launch Control, it isn't necessary...

Old 12-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ///MAlhadeff' post='211902' date='Dec 15 2005, 11:30 PM
Hey guys... F Launch Control, it isn't necessary...

Nice, not necessary for DRIFTING! Agreed! Where was that?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5, F430, E60 545i

Streets of Willow @ Willow Springs Int'l, Rosamond, CA

www.sigalsport.com
Old 12-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Members

I have been doing a lot of daydreaming at work and I came up with this ASSUMPTION. I am thinking that BMW NA will eventually cave in and up grade all the M5 owners to full LC. Think about it, the US manual version will be here in a year or two then the M5 can launch at what ever RPM you want. If you can do in it in the manual then all the SMG owner will feel cheated. With BMW touting the SMG as the future they must make it as desireable as possible. Any thougts
Old 12-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by reckamech' post='212666' date='Dec 17 2005, 04:14 PM
I have been doing a lot of daydreaming at work and I came up with this ASSUMPTION. I am thinking that BMW NA will eventually cave in and up grade all the M5 owners to full LC. Think about it, the US manual version will be here in a year or two then the M5 can launch at what ever RPM you want. If you can do in it in the manual then all the SMG owner will feel cheated. With BMW touting the SMG as the future they must make it as desireable as possible. Any thougts
That's an interesting approach and you may be right about this. Afterall, what is the reason LC was "crippled" in the US market? To save money from having to do repairs under warranty, is my guess, but we may never know.

Perhaps the manual shifter will be the only way to get the best stand-still acceleration times for now but I won't hold my breath. I'd like to see what BMW does with the LC of SMG trannys once the manual shifter option is available.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='212834
That's an interesting approach and you may be right about this. Afterall, what is the reason LC was "crippled" in the US market? To save money from having to do repairs under warranty, is my guess, but we may never know.

Perhaps the manual shifter will be the only way to get the best stand-still acceleration times for now but I won't hold my breath. I'd like to see what BMW does with the LC of SMG trannys once the manual shifter option is available.
[/quote]
And then again, maybe they'll hardwire the fuel/air engine management system for the manual so that you won't be able to bring engine revs over 1500 when first gear is engaged...just kidding but i do see the next US iteration not being handicapped like the my 06
Old 12-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by reckamech' post='212666' date='Dec 17 2005, 04:14 PM
6 speed manual for M5 has been announced as available starting with September 2006 production.

The current M3 offers both a 6 speed manual, and SMG w/ crippled LC, so there's certainly no precedent for your assumption.

BMW is developing a dual clutch system (similar to Audi's DSG) called ZSG, Porsche will be offering a dual clutch system on the upcoming 997 Turbo (Porsche, after all, invented the dual clutch system years ago for racing), and even the Bugatti Veyron has a dual clutch system, so I wouldn't bet on SMG being the future--even at BMW.

Quick Reply: DeTuned LC