E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

DeTuned LC

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Undecided 2006 530 or 550, undecided on tranmission either. 2002 Porsche 911 Coupe 2002 325i Premium, Xenon
Arrow

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='201451' date='Nov 21 2005, 12:00 PM
I didn't realize BMWNA was doing this to the M5's in the US.

I hope the auto mags here include this in their reports/analyses. This needs to be disclosed especially for potential buyers and enthusiasts who may not be getting (read: paying) what they think they're getting.
I completely agree! I'm one of those unfortunate souls who bought one thinking I'll be getting the "regular" LC. As I have said in my earlier thread regarding "watered down LC", no one in the world of automotive journalism mentioned anything about the U.S. market getting a detuned LC. For me, either you get the real thing or none at all! Maybe I'll change my tune when I get the car but my enthusiasm is dampened a bit.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by sixsticks' post='201503
I didn't realize BMWNA was doing this to the M5's in the US.

I hope the auto mags here include this in their reports/analyses. This needs to be disclosed especially for potential buyers and enthusiasts who may not be getting (read: paying) what they think they're getting.
I completely agree! I'm one of those unfortunate souls who bought one thinking I'll be getting the "regular" LC. As I have said in my earlier thread regarding "watered down LC", no one in the world of automotive journalism mentioned anything about the U.S. market getting a detuned LC. For me, either you get the real thing or none at all! Maybe I'll change my tune when I get the car but my enthusiasm is dampened a bit.
[/quote]
I can see why you would feel this way. Hope the car lives up to your expectations and looking forward to some feedback on your experiences once you have it.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by reckamech' post='199956' date='Nov 18 2005, 05:32 AM
I am glad you replied because I was sort of directing this question to you If the US M5 does have a detuned version of LC then it does explain the 1/4 mile times against the Mercs. Their is one guy on the Merc boards already selling his M5. I believe he is selling it because it hasn't beat a stock E55 in the 1/4 mile. He goes on to say how GREAT the M5 is on the road but it doesn't do everything. I guess he is refering to drag racing. I am not making excuses for the M5 but all the videos we have seen and all of BMW's claims I figured the Mercs would be easily silenced. So tell us Wolvering have you tried the LC yet? What is it like? As far as the USA being BMW's biggest M market I was refering to something I read some years ago. I guess I should have said North America. The only time I have seen is a 12.72 (from my memory). Someone posted their time slip which I found on the Merc boards.
Do you have a link?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='201532
I am glad you replied because I was sort of directing this question to you If the US M5 does have a detuned version of LC then it does explain the 1/4 mile times against the Mercs. Their is one guy on the Merc boards already selling his M5. I believe he is selling it because it hasn't beat a stock E55 in the 1/4 mile. He goes on to say how GREAT the M5 is on the road but it doesn't do everything. I guess he is refering to drag racing. I am not making excuses for the M5 but all the videos we have seen and all of BMW's claims I figured the Mercs would be easily silenced. So tell us Wolvering have you tried the LC yet? What is it like? As far as the USA being BMW's biggest M market I was refering to something I read some years ago. I guess I should have said North America. The only time I have seen is a 12.72 (from my memory). Someone posted their time slip which I found on the Merc boards.
Do you have a link?
[/quote]

You can go here for the M5 1/4 mile time. You can go here to MBWorlds.org and read this thread. At first it is a little M5 bashing then it gets kinda informative. Several new m5 owners their who are current/pervious E55 owners.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My car currently has 2800 miles on it, and I'm due for a service appointment on Monday, so I'll try launch control for real next week.

What I have done is setup launch control, and see how much I could rev the engine. "M" mode, DSC off, S6, and I roll to a stop in 1st gear. Push lever forward and floor throttle.

The engine oscillates at 1600 rpm, give or take 100 rpm. It doesn't sound like much, and blipping the throttle doesn't increase the rev's over 1600. If you floor the car in this mode, it just sits and maintains revs at 1550-1650 rpm. Three-quarters throttle, blip throttle, apply brake and blip throttle, nothing I could do would get the rev's over 1600 in LC mode.

I never released the gearshift lever to activate LC, but I'll do that next week. So far, I'm not very impressed. 1600 rpm isn't much above idle, and it doesn't seem like I'll get much of a launch. I have to agree that the 4000+ rpm launch with clutch modulation would be the way to go. I have to believe that they have 'crippled' the car because of the very comprehensive warantee the cars are under here in the US. It would just be too much of a liability for BMW to cover all the potential misuse. Too bad, I'd at least like the option to pay for it myself.

I'll do a couple starts next week. I do have my winter tires on, so things will not be completely representative, but I should get a pretty good idea of how strong the launch is.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: Jan 06 Delivery, 2006 550 Sport , silver gray metallic, clear bra, black leather, step, active steering, comfort seats, logic 7, Nav, head-up display, comfort access, satellite, anthracite trim and headliner, M-body kit, electric sun shade, split fold down rear seats, Hard Wired BEL STi Driver Radar/Laser Detector.

How to increase and decrease the launch control revs on M5
See Video Link from M5 Board

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthrea...light=M5+launch
Old 11-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550 Sport' post='202624' date='Nov 23 2005, 05:44 PM
How to increase and decrease the launch control revs on M5
See Video Link from M5 Board

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthrea...light=M5+launch
Doesn't work on US cars.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='201532
Do you have a link?
[/quote]
Dragtimes.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5, F430, E60 545i

i just bought my M5 3 days ago with 1700 miles on it, so the full power is availalbe. I can assure you all that the acceleration time from BMW are very modest. I have raced many cars so far, and done numerous runs, including my friends 996TT X50. 5 times the M5 wins, from a roll and from a standstill. I have a 996tt as well and immediately I could feel that the M was faster from the first drive.

launch control isnt even necessary, if you are in 1st gear with smg 6 and dsc off, if you just mash the pedal from a standstill it will light them up, hook up, and take off chirping 2nd and 3rd gear upshifts. All I can say is this is the best BMW street car ever, and Ive heard a rumor that Dinan has squeezed over 600bhp already from ecu and exhaust

I did many laps with my M5 when it was stock. at Willow Springs 2 days ago, and can assure you that it is faster than my 996tt The brakes, turnin in response, weight transfer, and acceleration is unbelievable for a sedan, you forget what kind of car you are driving.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by ///MAlhadeff' post='211415' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:26 PM
i just bought my M5 3 days ago with 1700 miles on it, so the full power is availalbe. I can assure you all that the acceleration time from BMW are very modest. I have raced many cars so far, and done numerous runs, including my friends 996TT X50. 5 times the M5 wins, from a roll and from a standstill. I have a 996tt as well and immediately I could feel that the M was faster from the first drive.

launch control isnt even necessary, if you are in 1st gear with smg 6 and dsc off, if you just mash the pedal from a standstill it will light them up, hook up, and take off chirping 2nd and 3rd gear upshifts. All I can say is this is the best BMW street car ever, and Ive heard a rumor that Dinan has squeezed over 600bhp already from ecu and exhaust

I did many laps with my M5 when it was stock. at Willow Springs 2 days ago, and can assure you that it is faster than my 996tt The brakes, turnin in response, weight transfer, and acceleration is unbelievable for a sedan, you forget what kind of car you are driving.
welcome!
any problems with the new m5?oil?e days and 1700 miles!wow u sure like driving!

Quick Reply: DeTuned LC