E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

DeTuned LC

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been doing a lot of snooping around the Merc boards and they are in their full glory claiming victory in some of the M5 "slow" times in the 1/4 mile. I came across a post which stated that the USA M5 had a Detuned Version of Launch Control. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I think this was the case with the M3 as LC wasn't even in the owners manual . If this LC issue is true it will be a big mystery to me why BMW would do this to us. The USA is their biggest market for M cars and for them to send the M5 to our shores without full smmo to take on the Mercs would be a crime. Ok maybe not a crime but is the SMG that fragile?

I still want one no matter what.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by reckamech' post='199735' date='Nov 17 2005, 06:04 PM
I have been doing a lot of snooping around the Merc boards and they are in their full glory claiming victory in some of the M5 "slow" times in the 1/4 mile. I came across a post which stated that the USA M5 had a Detuned Version of Launch Control. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I think this was the case with the M3 as LC wasn't even in the owners manual . If this LC issue is true it will be a big mystery to me why BMW would do this to us. The USA is their biggest market for M cars and for them to send the M5 to our shores without full smmo to take on the Mercs would be a crime. Ok maybe not a crime but is the SMG that fragile?

Based on conversations with some high ranking BMWNA exec's, people are reporting that the LC will be available for US cars, but it is severely detuned. Some owners have also tried to activate LC. The European version launches at 4,000 rpm. The US version will supposedly spool up to 1,600 - 1,800 rpm.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

hmmm.....isnt 4000 rpm too high for launching the car?? too much spin?? What's the optimal RPM to launch a car for maximum speed and efficiency??
Old 11-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='199746

What times are they reporting for the M5's?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='199746' date='Nov 17 2005, 07:20 PM
hmmm.....isnt 4000 rpm too high for launching the car?? too much spin?? What's the optimal RPM to launch a car for maximum speed and efficiency??
Well the key is you have the engine starting to get in the sweet spot and with LC you have controlled clutch slip for progressively achieving maximum power to the ground- at least in theory.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='199778' date='Nov 17 2005, 08:19 PM
4000+ would be best--especially with such a low torque engine. Is the M5 available with a manual? Probably not because then drivers could control their launch RPM and do damage.
It will be available with a manual next year, and probably only in the US.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by reckamech' post='199735' date='Nov 17 2005, 07:04 PM

I dunno what kind of influence bmw has over bmw na. Anyway they (na) are responsable for the poor offer. IMO americans always got lower or detuned m cars. In fact many bmws are very different and slightly lower in specs than the eu ones. Hey but look at the bright side, u've got way cheaper gas...
America the biggest market for m cars? Where does it say that?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='199738

Based on conversations with some high ranking BMWNA exec's, people are reporting that the LC will be available for US cars, but it is severely detuned. Some owners have also tried to activate LC. The European version launches at 4,000 rpm. The US version will supposedly spool up to 1,600 - 1,800 rpm.
[/quote]

Wolverine

I am glad you replied because I was sort of directing this question to you If the US M5 does have a detuned version of LC then it does explain the 1/4 mile times against the Mercs. Their is one guy on the Merc boards already selling his M5. I believe he is selling it because it hasn't beat a stock E55 in the 1/4 mile. He goes on to say how GREAT the M5 is on the road but it doesn't do everything. I guess he is refering to drag racing. I am not making excuses for the M5 but all the videos we have seen and all of BMW's claims I figured the Mercs would be easily silenced. So tell us Wolvering have you tried the LC yet? What is it like? As far as the USA being BMW's biggest M market I was refering to something I read some years ago. I guess I should have said North America. The only time I have seen is a 12.72 (from my memory). Someone posted their time slip which I found on the Merc boards.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by reckamech' post='199956
Originally Posted by reckamech' post='199735' date='Nov 17 2005, 06:04 PM

Wolverine

I am glad you replied because I was sort of directing this question to you If the US M5 does have a detuned version of LC then it does explain the 1/4 mile times against the Mercs. Their is one guy on the Merc boards already selling his M5. I believe he is selling it because it hasn't beat a stock E55 in the 1/4 mile. He goes on to say how GREAT the M5 is on the road but it doesn't do everything. I guess he is refering to drag racing. I am not making excuses for the M5 but all the videos we have seen and all of BMW's claims I figured the Mercs would be easily silenced. So tell us Wolvering have you tried the LC yet? What is it like? As far as the USA being BMW's biggest M market I was refering to something I read some years ago. I guess I should have said North America. The only time I have seen is a 12.72 (from my memory). Someone posted their time slip which I found on the Merc boards.
[/quote]
Thanks much.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

I didn't realize BMWNA was doing this to the M5's in the US.

I hope the auto mags here include this in their reports/analyses. This needs to be disclosed especially for potential buyers and enthusiasts who may not be getting (read: paying) what they think they're getting.

Quick Reply: DeTuned LC