E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Converting an e60 with an e60 M5

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, just wanted to ask if I will have some issues doing this.

Just a brief background. I have an e60 bought locally. it was flooded and repairing it would cost just as much as buying a pre-owned e60. Since importation of cars is taxed very heavily in our country, I just thought I'd pass my previous papers to a new one that I will import.

There are actually 2 scenarios:
1.) I buy a pre-owned M5, get the chassis number from the old e60, and place it in the m5. I now have a "localized" m5. --this is the easy part
2.) Worst case scenario, I don't get to import the m5 as a whole, rather it will be sliced into two making it possible to import and use it as "spare parts". I will be forced to strip the e60 down to only the chassis, then transfer everything from the m5 like: the engine, transmission, differential, electronics, interior to the e60 chassis.

If I may raise a few questions:

1.) Are the chassis of both cars different?
2.) Where is the chassis code exactly? Will I be able to cut it and then transfer it (welding) to the m5 if ever?
3.) Would this be a straight forward job? or are there alot of issues using a normal e60 chassis.

am just not too familiar with the potential problems that may arise such as steering technologies or what not. is there anything I need to look out for?

I am quite knowledgeable in Japanese cars but we all know the Japanese and European cars have tooo many differences.

Please assume that long as it's possible, it will be done. (as I am a part-owner of a shop)

Thank you in advance and more power!

*Apologies if this has been tackled, I have done some backreading but alot of them are converting from scratch. I would not be converting it exactly, but rather "transferring" only since I will eventually have both cars.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

The trunk well is different. The front fenders are different. Chassis is same. You're better chopping it in half, and then moving ALL the parts of the M5 INTO the E60 to keep the costs low. EVERYTHING has to be swapped. ALL electrical components. Or better off easier welding the two back together. It's not easy changing all the parts in there. Will take you a week.