E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Comparing the M5's SMG with M3's DCT

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Forgive yet another SMG post, but I'm hoping to replace my '06 550i with an '07 or '08 M5 when the lease expires late this year, and I'm really leaning towards an SMG car.

Has anyone logged significant time behind the wheel of an M5 SMG (which I presume is SMG III) and an M3 DCT to comment? I have read, and even experienced a bit of the "lag" with the DCT that a number of folks have complained about...it seems that there is a brief lag between when the DCT paddle is pressed and the shift - perhaps that the paddle needs to be pulled and released before the shift.

Curious if the SMG is a faster shift. I understand the mechanical differences in the two transmissions (well, sorta) and am just curious about real world experience with the two.

Thx.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Contributors

Ohhh, this is a good question - and I'm interested too in what this comparison is like. I'm on a similar same path as you, lawguy. I fully intend to own the next generation M5, but until then (3 years from now?), I've thought about getting a used E60 M5, or a new M3 (the Audi S5 and CTS-V are in the mix for consideration too).

I've read some comments in M3 forums about a nasty lag in the MDCT that is driving many owners crazy. I guess it happens most glaringly when you slow down to go thhrough a corner, it downshifts appropriately, but as you exit the corner and hit the gas ... nothing, lag, and then boom everything. Not good.

I've driven the M3 with a manual transmission and that car is spectacular ... probably the best vehicle BMW makes right now.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

This is a good thread because i'm also leaning to getting an M3 DCT or an M6 sooner than an M5. The problems raised by some M3 DCT owners is alarming and i wan unaware of them till i read this thread. Maybe DCT is still in the refinement process and it should be better to stick to the SMG III which has some years behind it ?!

ALso i'm very interested which is the faster gearbox. SMGIII if i recall correctly was already very very veeeeeery fast, changing gear in 60 ms.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Its an interesting question, for sure. I'm not trying to start a rivalry or war, just to really hear more from the SMG crowd what they think.

I think the M3 is a wonderful car too. Its just a bit small for a 40-something guy with 3 kids and a pair of chubby law partners that have to ride with me from time to time...LOL.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='803871' date='Feb 28 2009, 07:25 PM
Its an interesting question, for sure. I'm not trying to start a rivalry or war, just to really hear more from the SMG crowd what they think.

I think the M3 is a wonderful car too. Its just a bit small for a 40-something guy with 3 kids and a pair of chubby law partners that have to ride with me from time to time...LOL.
Yeah i was leaning as well towards the M3 since i'm 25 and that would be for me a nimbler car. But that DCT issue sure scares me. I'm aso for a buyback for my 535d.

Also my heart leans toward the M5/M6 but not because of the extra 80 bhp but because i think the V10 produces such a nicer sound, compared tot the V8.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='803876' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah i was leaning as well towards the M3 since i'm 25 and that would be for me a nimbler car. But that DCT issue sure scares me. I'm aso for a buyback for my 535d.

Also my heart leans toward the M5/M6 but not because of the extra 80 bhp but because i think the V10 produces such a nicer sound, compared tot the V8.
If I didnt have kids, the M3 would be a more likely choice, especially having seen the articles somewhere on the results of the M3 vs. M5 day at the track and Nurenbourg, where the M3 held firm. Since I cant really afford a new M5, I'd probably buy a new M3. However, I need a "bigger" car, and having an E60 now, i really love the look.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='803907' date='Feb 28 2009, 07:40 PM
If I didnt have kids, the M3 would be a more likely choice, especially having seen the articles somewhere on the results of the M3 vs. M5 day at the track and Nurenbourg, where the M3 held firm. Since I cant really afford a new M5, I'd probably buy a new M3. However, I need a "bigger" car, and having an E60 now, i really love the look.
Can you find or direct me to those article you speak of regarding the Nurburgring lap times?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Contributors

I will look for it. I believe it was in the BMW magazine they sent out regarding the new M3. I believe I still have it & will look tonight. If I can find it, I will scan and post the article. I dont recall the precise times, but it was incredibly close between the two of them, which they attributed to the M3 coupe's handling.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='804140' date='Mar 1 2009, 02:24 AM
I will look for it. I believe it was in the BMW magazine they sent out regarding the new M3. I believe I still have it & will look tonight. If I can find it, I will scan and post the article. I dont recall the precise times, but it was incredibly close between the two of them, which they attributed to the M3 coupe's handling.
thank you!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='803822' date='Feb 28 2009, 08:13 AM
Forgive yet another SMG post, but I'm hoping to replace my '06 550i with an '07 or '08 M5 when the lease expires late this year, and I'm really leaning towards an SMG car.

Has anyone logged significant time behind the wheel of an M5 SMG (which I presume is SMG III) and an M3 DCT to comment? I have read, and even experienced a bit of the "lag" with the DCT that a number of folks have complained about...it seems that there is a brief lag between when the DCT paddle is pressed and the shift - perhaps that the paddle needs to be pulled and released before the shift.

Curious if the SMG is a faster shift. I understand the mechanical differences in the two transmissions (well, sorta) and am just curious about real world experience with the two.

Thx.
I don't have significant personal experience driving the two just some rides with pro drivers in an M5 & M6. Most do say the SMG III is only blindingly fast in S5 or S6 whereas the DCT is quick in the actual shift in any setting. Also with SMG III, you need a slight throttle lift for the smoothest shifts. I don't know about the DCT.

Quick Reply: Comparing the M5's SMG with M3's DCT