E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Clunking rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 03:17 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW M5
Default Clunking rear suspension

Have issues lately, there was a loud bang/clunk from rear right over bumps also noticeable shake from rear between 60 and 75 mph, it has since gotten louder and shaking worse. Inner rear tires badly worn on both sides, so i changed tires and upper control arms (PITA compared to the sedan because of the airbag) anyway, noise didn't go away but there was little to no shaking coming from the rear
Now i cant drive my car, feels like my rear tire is oval shaped, car shakes violently at any speed over 40, clunking and banging over the smallest bumps. Checked tires and they are fine, i think its subframe bushings or lower control arm bushing
Anyone have this experience? my indy wants $1500 plus in labour to change $180 worth of parts...SMH
Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Are you asking what could be wrong? If your Indy gave you an estimate then you should already know what's wrong. If you need another opinion just take it to someone else or lift the rear and start pushing an the wheels and tires to see what the issue could be. It is hard to diagnose suspension issue over the internet. You need someone there to actually see what is going on. If you're to the point of changing control arms then you should be changing all bushings and links.
The following users liked this post:
donpb (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Did your indy mechanic not provide a detailed list of what needs to be done? Mine always does. Please share those details if you have them.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:56 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Are you asking what could be wrong? If your Indy gave you an estimate then you should already know what's wrong. If you need another opinion just take it to someone else or lift the rear and start pushing an the wheels and tires to see what the issue could be. It is hard to diagnose suspension issue over the internet. You need someone there to actually see what is going on. If you're to the point of changing control arms then you should be changing all bushings and links.
I didn't take it to the indy yet, this happened after i personally changed the control arms myself. I just wanted to know if anyone suffered symptoms of worn subframe bushings. Also, this is not on my M5 but my E61 wagon, IDK why it was put here???
Old 10-23-2020, 11:57 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
Did your indy mechanic not provide a detailed list of what needs to be done? Mine always does. Please share those details if you have them.
Thanks for the reply, but please see my above quote, basically i self diagnosed, i didn't take it to the Indi yet, looking foe similar experiences
Old 10-23-2020, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by georstan
I didn't take it to the indy yet, this happened after i personally changed the control arms myself. I just wanted to know if anyone suffered symptoms of worn subframe bushings. Also, this is not on my M5 but my E61 wagon, IDK why it was put here???
So you weren't having the issue before the control arms. If so check your work. If not how many miles are on the car? Bushings go bad eventually but it depends on the driving habits and roads you drive on daily. Have a look at them and see if they are worn. Put the car in the air and push on the tires to see if you get any movement. Change your links if that doesn't help move on.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by georstan
Thanks for the reply, but please see my above quote, basically i self diagnosed, i didn't take it to the Indi yet, looking foe similar experiences
So how did your indy come up with that magical $1,500 number? Rough estimate? Estimates have details too.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:31 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
So you weren't having the issue before the control arms. If so check your work. If not how many miles are on the car? Bushings go bad eventually but it depends on the driving habits and roads you drive on daily. Have a look at them and see if they are worn. Put the car in the air and push on the tires to see if you get any movement. Change your links if that doesn't help move on.

No, the clunking was there before i changed control arms, but i started the process of elimination with those first because i had excessive tire wear. I pushed and pulled with a crowbar but didn't see any movement 130k on the clock
Old 10-26-2020, 02:36 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
So how did your indy come up with that magical $1,500 number? Rough estimate? Estimates have details too.
This quote was based on his hours to repair (10-12) seems high, but i don't know the details of what's involved, all he said was he has to remove the entire subframe to press out bushings. I had a X% i did in the driveway, PITA but no complete subframe removal, but i'm no expert
Old 10-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

If it's a clinch over bumps change the sway bar links but make sure it's not the bushings.

Quick Reply: Clunking rear suspension