E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

carrera s vs m5

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='484176' date='Oct 21 2007, 07:01 PM
Who cares what she thinks , get what you want .There will always be a hotter car no matter what you buy,

PS get a new GF ..... kidding ...... sort of !
AGREE
Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Members

My Ride: E46 M3(Sold), E70 X5(Sold), E60 ///M5

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='484448' date='Oct 22 2007, 03:14 AM
AGREE
+1 joking M5 all the way broo
Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Members

I have a 997S as a daily driver. For me it is no contest because I do not have to carry kids, clients or anyone in my car. It is just mine. We have an SUV that I can drive the wife and kids around in. I can see why some would prefer the M5 over the 997S and really they are not even comparable cars because they do such different things well. The 997 is a sports car. The M5 is a sports sedan. Those two cars are built to excel at different things. They both excel at their intended uses of that I am certain. I cannot say which is better for you, but I will say it is a lovely choice to have. Good luck with the decision. I would simply go drive both and buy the one that fits more of your needs. Leave the GF car preference out of the equation. Just as someone will always have a hotter car there is always a hotter piece of arse. Drive what you want. If you have any 997S sepcific questions I would be happy to help with those.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

silver bullet, considering the 997 chasis, what are the options for the S? I'm considering a Porsche as well as an addition, but can't decide between a 997 S or 996 Turbo.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by silver bullet' post='484653' date='Oct 22 2007, 01:58 PM
silver bullet, considering the 997 chasis, what are the options for the S? I'm considering a Porsche as well as an addition, but can't decide between a 997 S or 996 Turbo.
Do not let anyone tell you the 996 and 997 are not that different. They are. I have had both. The 996 turbo is obviously incredibly fast and a fantastic car. For me the 997 interior upgrades and they are vast is worth perhaps forgoing the raw speed of the turbo in favor of getting a 997S. At least for me. I am a tall person so the 997 fit better. The 997 seat position is lower and further back leaving me at close to 6'5 ample head room whereas in my 996 I did not have much room to spare at all. In addition I think the dash in the 997, instrumentation, etc is not only better looking but better built. I do not have any rattles, or fitment issues in my 997 and i had lots in my 996. As for chassis the 997S has the PSM sytstem that I really like. It is very harsh and firm when in sport mode, but incredibly comfy when not. It is a quiet ride and I think it works well.

I also like the outside style of the oval headlamps of the 997, but that is just personal preference on aesthetics. The 996 Turbo is a fantastic car, but all things equal for me the 997S looks better, is more comfortable, is plenty fast, and is track worthy. I think the 996 turbo is very fast, but the interior a bit dated which may or may not be a factor at all. I think the exterior is a nice "contemporary" interpretation of the 911. I was never one who thought it to be the ugly duckling of the 911 history. Quite the opposite as evidenced by having owned one. It is a tough call I am sure because the power of the 996 TT is hard to pass up, but there were many other factors for me outside speed and the 997S fit them all much better for my use.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i/ black with aurburn/ sport/ SMG/ m aero kit/ premimum sound/ cold weather/ heated rear/ navigation/20" iforged sprints in gunmetal with PS2's _GONE

I'm also considering the 997s. I agree with silver bullet they are two different vehilces. I found that I never use my rear seats. heck I rarely use the passneger seat. I don't ever use my car in the wtiner I have an SUV for that. So why not go for a sposrts car instaed of a sports sedan.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='484237' date='Oct 21 2007, 12:51 PM
I don't know it's quicker than an S. Both M5 and Carerra S are about the same on 0-60, and not that it matters here in the US but the 997S isn't speed limited. I agree the M5 is quicker than the regular Carrera. I love the M5, it's a phenomenal car. For me, though, I prefer the 997 looks and I also think the Porsche handles better.
You got it, 997S all the way.

Unless you need the extra room, I would get the 997S, but thats just me. When I think of a performance car, I think of a smaller more agile car than the M5. Not saying the M5 isn't good, its awesome.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwjdm5' post='484157' date='Oct 21 2007, 09:44 AM
ok im going to make the move soon from my 2006 550i to either a M5 OR A Carera s porshe ... i was at a night club last night and some dude pulled up in a carrera s and the girl i was with said that it was a hot car i said the m5 is hotter she said whats the m5 look like later that night we saw one in the parking lot where we parked she goes it looks just like your car !!! i said nooo its an m5 she goes whats the diff... i know girls dont know horspowers and shit but she said the porshe looks sexier ...... what should i go for guys ????? what is faster anyways ???

There are certain time and place for both cars to shine obviously in the nighclub scene the porsche will out shine the M5 because its a known expensive Sports car. Nobady has to look at it and look at what model it is to know your riding nice. and yes even the "jessica simpson" chicks out there can tell its flashier than the M, but its all about you. you have to decide what you want more. outside of the club scene id think you would enjoy the M more as a daily as it does have alot of performance.. my advice dont get rid of the girl just school her on these things, I've been with my girl 5 years and its crazy how she knows cars now and is able to pick them out. The perfect picture here would be to have both in the garage.. the crazy 500hp grocery getter sports sedan for the week and a flashy known sports car like the porsche for the club scene. but it dosent seem like thats where your headed but good luck choosing. 1 thing is for sure make yourself happy 1st everyone else second, because if your not happy you cant make any one else happy. ok let me stop i sound like DR. PHIL. LOL laters.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Yea I agree, I have both cars a 2004 red 996 carrera convertible with aerokit and beige interior. no doubt is it an attention grabber, and an awesome car in terms of performance and handling. more than enough for me, and in terms of my 5 series i bought this car for solely in carrying extra peoples and a daily driver, yet whenever I drive the porsche i miss the comfort and cruiseness of my 5er, and whenever im in my 5er i miss the attention of my carrera and speediness. The only reason I love my porsche besides of the performance is the looks as i have guards red with tan leather interior which IMO grabs a ton of attention at the club scene, perhaps more than any normal colored porsche. If you must get a porsche get a flashy color. My 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Did you say attention +1 - Including Cops (talking from 1st hand experience)

Quick Reply: carrera s vs m5