E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Back to pondering an e60 M5...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Well, I'm back to looking for another car. After 6 months with an e38 7 series, followed by several months with a very fun and very practical Mini Cooper S, I'm really missing the thrill of a 5 series sedan too much to go without for much longer. With a few business opportunities in the air, I had been thinking that a more practical car was a good idea, but end the end, life is too short not to have the incredible joy every day of driving a car that makes your heart pound when you look outside the office window and see it waiting for you...I just need that feeling again.

When I bought the Mini a few months ago, I thought I would drive it until next summer, when the F10 550i M sport package car was available. However, I have really been uncertain about the look of the car, and the initial reviews seem to suggest the F10 is moving away from sporty and more towards luxury. Ugh. Even if the handling is better than folks suggest, the look just doesnt make my heart pound, and since an e60 M5 would be cheaper than a new F10 550i, why not ponder it? Honestly, I doubt I'd be able to swing an F10 M5 without getting castrated by my wife.

Thus, for all those reasons, I have been pondering picking up an e60 M5 now, while there are so many low mileage gems to be found. I did find a gorgeous low mile e39 Imola M5, but not sure I want to get into the maintenance of a 7-8 year old car. Maybe an option...not sure.

Anyhow, in starting the search again, I recalled that originally thought I would never get a manual in the M5, just based on the fact the car was designed for the SMG. But, after watching a few youtube videos (what a source for reliable info...hahaha), and after driving an SMG M5 recently, I am leaning towards a manual. I dont mean to start the inevitable flame war between SMG and manual guys, but my question is this....do any of you who purchased a manual M5 regret it?

Thanks for letting my yap on about the automotive neurosis that wracks my brain.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

I didn't get a manual and I dun regret it...
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

As much as it'll be cool to get some opinions from manual owners, I think you should just try test driving one and experience it for yourself. I don't have any opinion on either transmission but I think at the end of the day, it'll boil down to your personal preference and actually driving one will help you make the best decision.

I think one benefit of a manual though, is that you won't have to worry about the SMG issues. Good luck and I completely understand the emotional appeal you're talking about. I find myself staring at my car every opportunity I get and even just thinking about it gets my adrenaline pumping.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

I was going to choose the manual over the SMG but since the M5 was designed for 7 gears, I opted for the SMG. I mean, it is the technological age! hehe. It still drives like a manual.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
As much as it'll be cool to get some opinions from manual owners, I think you should just try test driving one and experience it for yourself.
Problem is that there do not appear to be any manual M5 cars within several hundred miles of where I live (Kentucky). Makes it tough. I wouldnt buy without driving one first, but in the interim, collecting data from folks with firsthand knowledge is the best I can do. LOL.

You never said which you got, by the way...
Old 07-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by lawguy
Problem is that there do not appear to be any manual M5 cars within several hundred miles of where I live (Kentucky). Makes it tough. I wouldnt buy without driving one first, but in the interim, collecting data from folks with firsthand knowledge is the best I can do. LOL.

You never said which you got, by the way...
I have SMG. It took some getting used to at first but I loved it since. Just don't think I can shift as quick with a manual.

Maybe try registering on M5Board and asking opinions on there since you'll have a better chance of hearing from someone with a manual.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

So you finally came back to your senses? LOL
Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

I prefer the SMG. No matter how good a driver you are you'll never be able to shift as quickly with a manual as the SMG. It has all the feel of a manual without the clutch. I drove both and there was never a question for me. Just mho.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Hey Pete -

You cannot go wrong getting either M5 version. I don't recall ever reading about any 6-speed manual owner regretting that purchase: they all love it. And so do us SMG owners.

Originally Posted by lawguy
... life is too short not to have the incredible joy every day of driving a car that makes your heart pound when you look outside the office window and see it waiting for you...I just need that feeling again.
I guarentee that the M5 will do this for you! But I think your aspiration applies to any M vehicle, so your option of an E39 M5 makes sense too. There are some E60 owners who still pine for their old E39 M5s! Or how about an M3 sedan?

If you do get an E50 M5, make sure you are covered by a full warranty ... you know, for peace-of-mind during the 9 months that you will own it.

Happy shopping.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

My M3 is manual and I love it, however, I drove the manual M5 and did not enjoy it at all. I'm much happier with my SMG

Quick Reply: Back to pondering an e60 M5...