E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree with wolverine that AS can be a problem on the track.

What would be nice, however, is if BMW includes AS on the M5 but not just allow it to be disabled -- instead they should allow you to dial in whatever ratio you want and fix it there until you choose a different ratio or re-enable the system to work as we know it.

Imagine being able to dial up a quick ratio for a track with tight turns, etc and let the car do it's thing. If you need to drive the car home from the track, you can go ahead and enable AS and let it do its thing normally...
Old 08-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 29 2004, 04:15 PM
I agree with wolverine that AS can be a problem on the track.

What would be nice, however, is if BMW includes AS on the M5 but not just allow it to be disabled -- instead they should allow you to dial in whatever ratio you want and fix it there until you choose a different ratio or re-enable the system to work as we know it.

Imagine being able to dial up a quick ratio for a track with tight turns, etc and let the car do it's thing. If you need to drive the car home from the track, you can go ahead and enable AS and let it do its thing normally...
That would be an awsome option Rudy! Theoretically they could do it. With active steering, the planetary gear housing rotates at a rate dependant upon the speed of the car. It would not be difficult to switch this software controlled function to allow the user to set the rotation rate of the housing and lock it, independant of the speed. This would let the driver select the steering ratio, from 1.5 turns to 3 turns lock to lock.

Great idea, but I doubt BMW will implement it.

Let's just hope they give us the choice of active or not.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Aug 29 2004, 08:10 PM
Theoretically they could do it. With active steering, the planetary gear housing rotates at a rate dependant upon the speed of the car. It would not be difficult to switch this software controlled function to allow the user to set the rotation rate of the housing and lock it, independant of the speed. This would let the driver select the steering ratio, from 1.5 turns to 3 turns lock to lock.
That's pretty much why I suggested it. It would be a no-brainer to implement. Imagine what the car magazines would say about that feature -- how could they not praise it?
Old 08-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

On the test drive I didn't really feel the Active Steering, it felt very natural and I could not understand what the problem other people had with it. Now that I have had the car for about 400 miles I love it. I was zipping through a parking lot tonight with lots of turns and it is incredible. I also found driving my wifes minivan hard to control at first because I am so used to the AS. I think that is where it really shows, when you drive another car after adjusting to the AS.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Member545' date='Aug 29 2004, 10:30 PM
I also found driving my wifes minivan hard to control at first because I am so used to the AS.? I think that is where it really shows, when you drive another car after adjusting to the AS.
Absolutely! It ruins you!!

I'm constantly bitching (jokingly of course) about our minivan when I drive it. My wife doesn't think the joke is very funny!!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Senior Members

Can someone give a quick down and dirty on what the difference bettween AS and servotronic is?

I was under the impression, servotronic is what makes it easier to manuever in tight spots?

BTW, I brought my wife on the 2nd drive of AS to ensure she was comfortable with driving. We both agreed that we could not tell what all the fuss was about AS. It was not difficult to drive and we didn't notice that much of a difference ini ease of steering over her A2 and the Chrysler Pacifica we sold. Maybe those cars have overboosted steering or something?
Old 08-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Aug 29 2004, 10:54 PM
I was under the impression, servotronic is what makes it easier to manuever in tight spots?
It makes the steering lighter. So on the freeway the car steers heavier (is less powered) and in thight corners or parking you can steer it with one finger (very heavely powered).
Old 08-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 30 2004, 08:46 AM
I brought my wife on the 2nd drive of AS to ensure she was comfortable with driving. We both agreed that we could not tell what all the fuss was about AS. It was not difficult to drive and we didn't notice that much of a difference ini ease of steering over her A2 and the Chrysler Pacifica we sold. Maybe those cars have overboosted steering or something?
I drove my car 2 weeks straight before having to drive our Xterra. I looked like a damn fool as if I just got my license again. It was pretty difficult going from barely moving the steering wheel to giving it a heck of a turn.
I don't want anything else but active steering from now on.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a link to the FAQ for Active Steering...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Always good info in this forum.

Quick Reply: Active Steering