E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you think Active Steering is not going to be part of the M5?
Old 08-27-2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

BMW M feels that it?s got too much artificial feel for a sports car!

Better road feeling without AS!? Better feedback from the steering without AS!?

Personally I just love my AS!
Old 08-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Maybe they are develloping an upgraded version of the AS especially for the M5????
Old 08-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

nahhh, not from everything I've read or heard so far.

I think cidair hit it on the money.

A lot of people on this forum seem to like AS, but there are also a lot against it elsewhere.

Maybe it's good for comfortable cruising, but not so good for the track?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

They also decided not to go for Dynamic Drive. This was because of the weight ( 30 kg ).
Old 08-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Aug 29 2004, 08:11 PM
A lot of people on this forum seem to like AS, but there are also a lot against it elsewhere.
Seems to me that the people who have actually used AS for longer than 30 minutes would be on this board.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

Hope you didnt take that the wrong way.

I had just noticed that AS was the top pick in the "What is the best technology" thread, which surprised me, since BMW chose not to go with it in the M5.

I've tried it twice for about 30 minutes and actually liked it, but decided not to go with it. To me it was hard to tell what all the big deal was both for and against it.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I think it has to do in having it and getting used to it compared to a testdrive and feeling insecure driving the car (this was what happened with me). This option is definately a case of having it, enjoying it and knowing the benefits of it. Due to my testdrive I didn't order it too.. I did take the servotronic steering.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

I have active steering, and I really enjoy it, but I think I can say why BMW won't include it on the M5.

Active steering is really for convenience in low-speed driving situations so you don't have to cross-over with your hands. It's great for manuvering around parking lots, and zipping through turns at 'reasonable' speeds.

The problem occurs if you are approaching a turn at high speed in a 'racing' situation, and need to 'lock in' a wheel position. With Active Steering, the amount the front wheels will turn will not only depend on the steering wheel position, but on the speed you were going when you turned the wheel. Since you are rapidly decellerating when approaching a turn, timing the steering wheel turn with the speed is very difficult, and the actual amount the car turns for a given turn on the wheel will vary somewhat. This variation is completely unnacceptable in a racing situation, and with the M5 being so close to a race car, I think BMW will feel they either cannot have active steering, or they will have a way to disable it.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Then they have to give the driver the option to disable it. Pressing the M button (m drive) could do that also automatically then...

But what I can't understand is, that you are never driving the M5 like a race car. BMW doesn't let you, since as of now they won't take the speedlimiter off for you, not even when you have a raceing license...
So the M5 is about the same car (depending on speed) as the 545... It just accelerates faster..., etc...

Not having AS on this car means, I am not buying it... plain and simple...

I am driving at low speeds the most of the time. I can't "race" thru the city...

POOR JOB BMW !

Quick Reply: Active Steering