5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 M5 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-m5-discussion-3/)
-   -   2006 CPO M5 (https://5series.net/forums/e60-m5-discussion-3/2006-cpo-m5-70997/)

Ryanmcd 02-16-2009 01:28 PM

I have been looking for a 2006 CPO M5 with 0 luck, the 2 dealers I talked with said they really do not cert these cars and if so the cost is over $5,000. Is this BS or the truth? Also I have never owned a BMW and was wondering if I say screw the CPO and just get a extended on the car will I be safe?

EuroCarFan 02-16-2009 01:47 PM

As far as I know, the factory CPO is only offered to the original buyer for the M5. There have been many threads on this topic on here as well as on the M5board and it seems like new stories come out each time so I'm still uncertain myself. I do know that some have purchased third party warranties that are close in price to what you've heard.

The other thing to note is the difference between an extended warranty and an extended maintenance plan cause they're not the same. Member radzM550i just heard from a dealer in SoCal that they have the extended maintenance plan for the M5/M6 now so I've asked him to get more info. Better to have one or the other than nothing at all. These M engines won't be cheap to fix/maintain.

Good luck on finding your beast. Where are you located btw?

Ryanmcd 02-16-2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='794278' date='Feb 16 2009, 05:47 PM
As far as I know, the factory CPO is only offered to the original buyer for the M5. There have been many threads on this topic on here as well as on the M5board and it seems like new stories come out each time so I'm still uncertain myself. I do know that some have purchased third party warranties that are close in price to what you've heard.

The other thing to note is the difference between an extended warranty and an extended maintenance plan cause they're not the same. Member radzM550i just heard from a dealer in SoCal that they have the extended maintenance plan for the M5/M6 now so I've asked him to get more info. Better to have one or the other than nothing at all. These M engines won't be cheap to fix/maintain.

Good luck on finding your beast. Where are you located btw?

Atlanta Ga, lots of cars here but just new to the BMW brand. How bad is the maint on the car? Also my main worry is a motor or a tranny going out, dont want to put 20k into fixing a car.

EuroCarFan 02-16-2009 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd' post='794283' date='Feb 16 2009, 02:56 PM
Atlanta Ga, lots of cars here but just new to the BMW brand. How bad is the maint on the car? Also my main worry is a motor or a tranny going out, dont want to put 20k into fixing a car.

Well since my car is still under the original warranty and maintenance I haven't had the displeasure of finding out how much maint and repair is on this car yet. :)

But considering the technologies on this car, you gotta bet it'll cost a pretty penny to fix anything that fails.

skylolow 02-16-2009 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd' post='794283' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:56 PM

If you got to ask you don't want too know. :lol:

In general M cars cost about 50% to double depending on the repairs compared to non M cars. We all know BMW's in general are expensive to repair.

Do not own one without a warranty unless money isn't much concern to you.

flyingpuck 02-16-2009 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='794278' date='Feb 16 2009, 02:47 PM
As far as I know, the factory CPO is only offered to the original buyer for the M5.

How could you have a CPO (Certified PRE-owned) warranty for the car to the original owner?? :huh: Wouldn't it then just be an extended warranty?? :cool:

EuroCarFan 02-16-2009 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='794382' date='Feb 16 2009, 05:34 PM
How could you have a CPO (Certified PRE-owned) warranty for the car to the original owner?? :huh: Wouldn't it then just be an extended warranty?? :cool:

HA! Great point. I'm confusing the issue by using the terms interchangeably when they're not.

Anyway, here's a thread currently discussing this on m5board right now: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e6...tml#post1522838

Westcoast M5 02-16-2009 05:24 PM

In Canada the dealers sell used M5s with a CPO warranty (called "certified series"). I wonder why BMW doesn't do it in the US?

flyingpuck 02-16-2009 05:30 PM

I honestly thought a few months ago there were some CPO M5's here....anyone else recall the same? :huh:

lightfytr 02-16-2009 05:36 PM

Are the ones under CPO on bmwusa.com not really CPO???