E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

06 M5 or 08 550i

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad i have my bog standardised 520D M Sport(177) with its average of 51.7 MPG with the price's of fuel over in the UK now hitting £1.359 a litre that's £95.13 to fill here or for you USA drivers would you pay $146.83(exchange rate for today) just to fill your car?

good news is the fuel go's up again in 2 month's as the government slaps another TAX on fuel.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by tiejustice
glad i have my bog standardised 520D M Sport(177) with its average of 51.7 MPG with the price's of fuel over in the UK now hitting £1.359 a litre that's £95.13 to fill here or for you USA drivers would you pay $146.83(exchange rate for today) just to fill your car?

good news is the fuel go's up again in 2 month's as the government slaps another TAX on fuel.

$146.83 to fill up a tank of gas is crazy, but is what it is. Too many arrogant, or ignorant Americans just don't realize how good we have it at 3.50 a gallon over here.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i

m5!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

08 550i...

The LCI makes it worth it. Plus the V8 still has power.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

nothing like an M5....
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

The M5 is not a daily driver for sure, I have friends who have the M5 and none of them drive it everyday. If you have something on the side that you love to cruise around in then go for the M5, nothing like that punch you get from the M5.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 AM
aR.
Members

Originally Posted by ideanz
Make an example. If 1 week the M5 cost $100 for gas, then how much for the 550i
Maybe i will test drive the 550i and see how much different with the M5
LoL:
Remember the Old saying...
No One really Needs an M5...One has to Want One...!!!!
You don't buy an M5 for fuel efficiency or gas mileage...!!
enough said..!!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 AM
aR.
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
Pick the M5 if it will be your leisure car. It gulps fuel and can be expensive to insure and maintain if many miles are put on. The 550i is better on fuel, and insurance / maintenance costs.
I consider my self to be extremely fortunate having the luck and privlege to have BOTH of them babies...
I had a 07: 550 which I did a eurpoean delivery on and picked it up in Munich in '06 and it was a heck of a car for 3 years till I turned it over when lease completed. Then I picked up an '08 M5 [ CPO with 9,000 miles only ]
It is my daily driver Now and I Absolutely Love it..
WIll Never get another one - unless it is another M5.

as I mentioned earlier...No One Really Needs an M5...One has to Absolutely Want One..

You Only Live Once.... !!!
You sound like a Smart person... I know you already get the message..so.....you know what to do..!!

[ one advice ...Never Ever get a SMG in an M5.. go for the Real Deal.. Get a 6 speed manual with a real clutch.. you will have a time of your life and Huge grins on your face like I do every single morning on drive to work and every evening on my drive back home on a long interstate 95 ..
The only regret I have is as why the heck I did not think about getting an M5 sooner ......but It never is too late...

Please do not take me wrong... 550 is an Incredible machine BUT M5 is a Totally and Completely different car..it may look like a regular E-60 from outside and that is where the similarities end... in the inside, it is a Totally Different car..
it is THE Ultimate Driving Beast..!!!
& The Best BMW I have ever owned...!!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Originally Posted by Ghostteck
I would say consider what your using it for, I'm looking to get back into a 550i and not the M5 even though i really want to... its not good for everyday driving, seeing how john(motorconcept) and other friends go through gas the 550 was a better choice for me, + wouldnt be able to use the V10 that much unless im at the meets or track and im sure the 550 would be more than accomadating lol
+1, Don't let anyone talk you into something you can't afford. There is a lot to consider. Me, I have the money for a M5 but opted for the 550 for a few reasons, first, I never want an M5 as a DD and I really don't need two cars, I didn't really want the added gas and maint costs that comes with the M5, gas not so much, maint was the big factor. And I live in NYC, not too much fun can be had here in such a car. The 550i is more than enough car for me. I envy the M5 when I see one, but it's a headache I don't want right now.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
aR.
Members

Originally Posted by mookish
+1, Don't let anyone talk you into something you can't afford. There is a lot to consider. Me, I have the money for a M5 but opted for the 550 for a few reasons, first, I never want an M5 as a DD and I really don't need two cars, I didn't really want the added gas and maint costs that comes with the M5, gas not so much, maint was the big factor. And I live in NYC, not too much fun can be had here in such a car. The 550i is more than enough car for me. I envy the M5 when I see one, but it's a headache I don't want right now.
LOL:
It is so Incredibly Interesting that how some people "justify" a piece of technologal Marval like an M5.
Forget thinking about Gas or Maintenance or any such thng when considering an M

simply putting .. One has to has to want one.. without any sort of justification of engine size, gas prices, Insurance premiums, or whatever else.....just don't try justifying [ includng NYC traffic.. ]
Simply Putting it IS a frivilous expense..!! There is No Logic of having an M5 except to have a time of your life in it..
It IS an Ultimate car BMW has ever created...!!
One has to actually Drive it to make such statement...
Like one of my closest friend always wanted a Coach bag and Now she has a "collection" of them Coach Bags.. Same thing she mentioned to me..
No One needs a "Collection" of Coach Bags.. Simply Not needed BUT people who love Coach Bags, have to have those.
Same goes for Armani Suits,
Same goes for Hermes Scarfs..
Luxuary merchandise never requires a "justification"
M5 is right there in this category..!!
M5 is not a car for everyone... It is something totally and simply frivilous BUT an Absolute JOY to have..Like having an Armani Suit for someone who loves clothing
There is No substitute of an M5.
550 is an Incredible car BUT 550 is NOT an M5...
I have had 550 for 3 + years.. and I loved every moment of driving that Incredible machine... BUT the Joy what I get out of M5 drive every single day.. is out of this World..
Please don't misunderstnad me. It is not not for everyone with a "light wallet".
I got out and bought me an M5 when I really understood what it is like to have an M [ as well as when I was able to actually afford to have an M5 as I always wanted an M5 BUT was never be able to afford one so my logic was simple. I can't have it as I can't afford it.. and when I am able to afford one.. I got me one.. simple as that... No Justification, No compromises... Just be true to yourself.. ]

simply put...
M is not for everyone.... so please do NOT try to "justify" it ...
Don't put yourself through an agony of comparisions as it will not get you anywhere.......
Just get the one what makes You Simply Happy .... believe Me, You Will be Happy with whichever BMW you finally ended up getting - Just go out and get one.. drive for a couple of years, then got out and get the next one.. Simple as That.. Stop Torturing Yourself..LoL..!!

Quick Reply: 06 M5 or 08 550i