E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

'Z STALLION' got new horse shoes...!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 M5

"One down, 78 more mods to go..."

Hi guys,

The weather was lousy in Chicago today, but I just had to snap & share some quick shots of my new rims & tires before it probably starts raining tomorrow.
Just bought some sweet 19" Alufelgen in Hyperblack from a buddy (TR930) in Colorado, who had them on his M5, and reported the ETs as F:35 and R:20. Since I was running 18" before, I needed some new tires and decided to go with Conti Extreme, which now make my Summer setup complete.

Specs:
SF-71 19" Hyperblack
Continental ExtremeContact DW
Front: 19x8.5 245/40 ET35
Rear: 19x9.5 275/35 ET20
Suspension: Sport (OEM)

I bought 15mm Spacers from 'acute performance' because I though I would need them (in front), but it there is no way to get those on without a.) rubbing, or b.) rolling fenders... and I really don't need either one right now. However, it looks like the rear could use some spacers, and that's why I'm going to measure the gaps tomorrow (provided, it's not going to rain cats & dogs...). I have no clue why I do have more gap at the rears. And it if the ETs really are what Tyler/TR930 told me (and I have no reason not to believe him..), then I should actually have more room upfront. Especially since the M5 has a different offset upfront than my 530i (ET20 all around)...

Some first impressions, after approx. 50 Miles in Suburban Chicago chaos (a.k.a. "traffic"):

1.) I just LOVE-LOVE-LOVE the look of those wheels! And the color is - after initial concerns - just perfect, too. Those rims simply look gorgeous IMO, and needless to say, they are quite some attention-grabbers!!

2.) My front tires seem to hit the wheel housing (inside) whenever I fail to dodge a pothole, or can't slow down quickly enough at a bumpy train crossings. I honestly hate that, because it is no fun having to concentrate on those things all the time. And, it doesn't make a different if my fat ass is alone in the car, or if I have my sweet girl with me (in the passenger seat). Weight does not seem to be the issue here...

3.) Don't seem to have any marks/scratches on my tires yet, which tells me that it's basically OK. Maybe, I can push the rears out some more. Will check on that rather soon...

4.) The ride quality is great, and it feels much better than with my winter setup (245/45-18 square)!!

Just don't quite know yet what to do about the issues upfront... but I'm sure some of you may have suggestions for me....?!
Sure, I could buy front tires with a lower aspect ratio (e.g. 245/30-19), but that may not do my rims any good, considering the potholes and related road annoyances.
Well, let's see what happens..

"And now, for something completely different!" (LOL)... - some pictures!

I will post some more (better) pictures when the weather gets better and added a few more mods... I'm itching to put the new Motorcepts 5W AEs and 6000K HID Fogs on, and I also got my 2,500 (and 2,000... just in case it's too bright) MCD LEDs for the M5 cluster mod from HK today. Next money probably buys CF Kidney Grills, and then off to Body Kit and Quad Exhaust... lots of fun left for the rest of the year!!

Thanks for looking!

P.S.: The roundels are all CF/white now; I took care of that "flaw" in the meantime...
Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I really doubt the front offset!
A decent offset in front for the M5, with a 8.5" wide wheel, would be around 12mm. And according to your pictures I'm pretty sure the front offset is much less than 35mm. Therefore it is difficult to put a spacer there.

It also seems that you kept the M5 tires, which are too big for a non-M5 (especially the front). That makes the rubbing even more probable.

Check the backside of the wheels, maybe the offsets are stanced in the spokes.

- Antti -
Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I really doubt the front offset!
A decent offset in front for the M5, with a 8.5" wide wheel, would be around 12mm. And according to your pictures I'm pretty sure the front offset is much less than 35mm. Therefore it is difficult to put a spacer there.

It also seems that you kept the M5 tires, which are too big for a non-M5 (especially the front). That makes the rubbing even more probable.

Check the backside of the wheels, maybe the offsets are stanced in the spokes.

- Antti -

Thanks, Antti... will check out the front wheels!

As far as the tires are concerned, they are brand-new; I purchased them directly from tires shops here in the U.S.... meaning, they did not come off the M5.
Besides, the sizes (aspect ratios) were recommended by other forum members, who have the same car (E60 non-M5) and same-size tires on theirs right now - without any rubbing.

Looks like I will have to get the front fenders rolled, as I am certainly not buying another set of front tires... I'm not that wealthy (...just enough to maintain & mod my E60)

Thanks,
Armin
Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Yup, the overall diameter is close to tires what I am about to use with my 20" wheels; 235/35 and 275/30.
However, the OEM tire size for the 19"s is 245/35 R19 and 275/30 R19.

- Antti -
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i (E60) - Titanium Silver | Black Dakota w/ Bamboo Anthracite | Sports Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Navigation | Logic 7 Former: 1995 540i MSport (E34) - 6sp, B&M Short Shift | Dinan Intake | Dinan Exhaust | Dinan Chip 1987 325iC (E30) - sold

By the way, those wheels look great on your car! I love the hyperblack on your black car. Front tire issues aside, which I'm sure you will resolve, I think you got a great set of wheels.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

Really dnt care for it
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i sport 6spd Sapphire Black/Tan

looks great!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Tru5g
looks great!

Thanks, guys... they do indeed look great, and much better in real life.
Actually, I was looking to get the M6 Reps at first - but BOY am I'm glad I picked these eventually!

I happened to get a rather aggressive offset, which makes it look even better. Have some rubbing upfront when getting on/off curbs, but it's just a matter of re-learning how to drive (=much more carefully) and it's been fine the last days.

Much better than just some BORING BLACK WHEELS... right!?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Lol we have basically the same wheels but mine are more concave
Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Lol we have basically the same wheels but mine are more concave
...you win!

But, who really cares??
I didn't try to get the most concave wheels in the world, but some that would look good on my car.

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference and taste, Isaiah... So, let's leave it with that, bro.

Quick Reply: 'Z STALLION' got new horse shoes...!