E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Your thoughts on R1 concepts rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Carbon Black
Default Your thoughts on R1 concepts rotors?

So earlier this year I bought a set of R1 premium rotors and the hawk hps pads, and installed them myself. Since, then, I've been trying to tell myself that I'm just crazy in thinking that the braking performance has been significantly worse since then.

I brought the car from Germany to the southern US since putting the new setup on, and I FEEL like i've never gotten over the sense that the car is more reluctant to stop. I remember that the rotors themselves felt a lot heavier than the OEM rotors, but attributed it to the thickness. And the pads, while they seemed weaker, certainly produced almost negligible amounts of dust.

But now, I remember that everytime I used a rental and then later got into my 550i with OEM brakes, I had to get used to just how sensitive/eager the brakes were, and how confidently you could brake in them. Now, I've realized after driving my wife's Audi A4, that I have to get used to HER car's brakes being more responsive! For the past several months I've been trying to convince myself that it WASN'T taking longer to stop, that the pedal travel WASN'T longer, but I think i've finally resigned to thinking that OEM might have been better.

It's really making me think that I'm going to have to go back to OEM rotors, or pads, or both, I don't know. What do you guys think? Is it because the rotors are heavier that braking performance has dwindled so much? I love the looks of the drilled/slotted rotors, but it's not going to be worth it if the car will not be able to brake in an emergency as well as OEM. Or am I just crazy? I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by usmabmass
So earlier this year I bought a set of R1 premium rotors and the hawk hps pads, and installed them myself. Since, then, I've been trying to tell myself that I'm just crazy in thinking that the braking performance has been significantly worse since then.

I brought the car from Germany to the southern US since putting the new setup on, and I FEEL like i've never gotten over the sense that the car is more reluctant to stop. I remember that the rotors themselves felt a lot heavier than the OEM rotors, but attributed it to the thickness. And the pads, while they seemed weaker, certainly produced almost negligible amounts of dust.

But now, I remember that everytime I used a rental and then later got into my 550i with OEM brakes, I had to get used to just how sensitive/eager the brakes were, and how confidently you could brake in them. Now, I've realized after driving my wife's Audi A4, that I have to get used to HER car's brakes being more responsive! For the past several months I've been trying to convince myself that it WASN'T taking longer to stop, that the pedal travel WASN'T longer, but I think i've finally resigned to thinking that OEM might have been better.

It's really making me think that I'm going to have to go back to OEM rotors, or pads, or both, I don't know. What do you guys think? Is it because the rotors are heavier that braking performance has dwindled so much? I love the looks of the drilled/slotted rotors, but it's not going to be worth it if the car will not be able to brake in an emergency as well as OEM. Or am I just crazy? I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Say it aint so man I just installed this set up yesterday, Im still in the break-in stage so I hope with some driving things change..... I've seen mixed reviews on this set up just wanted to see for myself cant always go by what you read so we'll see.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

When I got mine installed (I got premium with slotted and drilled) John at Motocepts said the braking would be less.......I noticed a bit of change from oem but not much, I broke the rotors and pads in driving from NY to Ohio. I believe its to be expected that with less surface erea there would be diminished stopping........that may work in our favor now I wont get rear ended for being able to stop better than the guy behind me!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

are the pads ceramic? those are known for having less bite, but make less dust.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
are the pads ceramic? those are known for having less bite, but make less dust.
Hmm they the Hawks pads........that might be the trade off? Less stopping power less dust!

Hawk HPS - High Performance Street disc brake pads are world renowned for increasing stopping power on your street legal vehicle. Increasing the performance of your vehicles braking system is easy when you choose Hawk Performance?s HPS braking compound. This unique Ferro-Carbon formula was developed for street performance using the safety and quality of Aerospace and Motorsports severe-duty friction technology.

The High Performance Street compound offers a higher coefficient of friction over stock brake pads and can provide you 20-40% more stopping power and higher resistance to brake fade than most standard replacement pads. Less fade means you will have a highly durable brake pad with less brake dust.

HPS Ferro-Compound Features:

Increased stopping power
High friction/torque hot or cold
Gentle on rotors
Extended pad life
Low dust
Virtually noise-free

The supposed increase in friction should negate the lose of surface area on the rotor? thats not happening + I have a squeek coming from the right front also!

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 10-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

Not just you. Same issues here. Significantly less braking power. Squeaks 85% of the time. I have even put on copper-based lube on the back of the pads. So idk what the deal is. Just waiting to replace these with OEM when it's time. Drilled/slotted definitely looks boss and not to mention less brake dust!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Members

I've had Concept R1 rotors and Cool Carbon brake pads for about 20K kms, previously had OEM pads and rotors. As in most swaps, there were some compromises----- way less dust, loss of some bite, a bit of squeal lately that I need to address. I would say with certainty that 80% of braking characteristics are due to pad selection, with choice of rotor having very minimal effect on braking. The main reason for slotting or drilling rotors is to reduce unsprung weight but also to allow some gas venting during extreme braking. The pads play a much bigger role, and any ceramic pads (or ones that claim to be rotor-friendly) will give up some initial bite but offer other advantages----- more linear braking characteristics, less overall fade due to better thermal control, and longer-lasting rotors.... and way less brake dust.

I knew those would be the trade-offs, and I am happy with my setup. The OEM setup seemed to have more bite, little dabs of brake grabbed more noticeably, but the R1 rotors and Cool Carbon pads (similar to Hawk) give just as much overall speed degradation---- with more consistent pedal pressure and no fade. I have had to adjust my braking style (more "conscious intent" when braking, but still very livable. And they have worked great in emergency situations and "spirited driving".

Just remember---- pads have way more effect than any rotors.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i Shadow line mod Rpi scoop BMC air filtter Ksport coilover Mtech V2 Angel eyes HID low beams HID Fogs

I've had a set of front R1 Blank rotors coupled with Hawks HPS pads for about 4 moths now & I'm beyond satisfied with 'em.
The stopping power is superior compared to stock IMO.
Never has let me down in normal to hard driving..
I just recommend (highly) properly bedding them as soon as the are installed.
Find urself a empty parking lot & accelerate to 65-75 mph & hit that brake.
You want to do this repeatedly until u can literally smell the brake fluid cooking & see them brakes smoking this ensures a proper bedding..
Big shout out to John @ Motorcepts NYC who showed me the way.
Bottom line these 2 products are very much recommended IMHO.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by galvatron
I've had a set of front R1 Blank rotors coupled with Hawks HPS pads for about 4 moths now & I'm beyond satisfied with 'em.
The stopping power is superior compared to stock IMO.
Never has let me down in normal to hard driving..
I just recommend (highly) properly bedding them as soon as the are installed.
Find urself a empty parking lot & accelerate to 65-75 mph & hit that brake.
You want to do this repeatedly until u can literally smell the brake fluid cooking & see them brakes smoking this ensures a proper bedding..
Big shout out to John @ Motorcepts NYC who showed me the way.
Bottom line these 2 products are very much recommended IMHO.
Blanks stop way better then anything, I got drilled R1 premiums. They're brand new so Im expecting them to get better. Ive done the bed-in process till "I seen them brakes smoking" lol... Now how long can i expect to still be in the break in process for what I've read it takes some time.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM
New Members

No disrespect as I am new to this forum. Prior to this I had a 2003 S500sport. R1 concepts sold me like oem products (slotted rotors and pads) first shipment had wrong equipment, 2nd shipment was fine however, they squeaked terribly..

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on R1 concepts rotors?