E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Yellow fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='768680' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:00 PM
Its because yellow is the color of our skin. and Egg noodles.
Mike - You are so smart! I never thought that way before...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Gray / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Dakota Black Leather / Options: Navigation, SAT Radio, Bluetooth, IPOD adapter Sprint Booster VMR Rims V710 19x9.5 ET45 Hyper Silver (rear) VMR Rims V710 19x8.5 ET35 Hyper Silver (front) Tires: General Exclaim 275/30/19 (rear) Tires: General Exclaim 245/35/19 (front) BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors BMW M-tech Complete Body Kit w/LCI & no PDC Hamann Splitter Vorsteiner Decklid Spoiler BMW M5 E60 BMW Black Grills E60 BMW Shadow Trim BMW Carbon Fiber Roundells - E60 Angel Eyes (GP Thunder Bulb H8 8500K)

That sound quite logical actually! So, maybe I go with the brighter white light, and the fact that it's below the fog hover point I may be able to project further. Interesting.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jusdoit' post='768333' date='Jan 15 2009, 01:37 AM
For the past month I've been reading and looking at all the pictures of folks that have matched the brightness and color of their fogs with their headlights. For the past week or so, it has been foggy as hell and I would love better visibility. I'm using the stock fogs. Set looks aside for a minute... Isn't a yellow light better? Are there good looking, brighter, and/or more effective fogs that I can purchase? Again, I'm more concerned with function than looks right now.

Thanks!

Yes, it is better. Its probably why I've been so on the fence about replacing them. It also depends where you live. If you're anywhere near me you sure as hell need low temp color fogs for visibility in blizzards.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

yes, yellow cuts through fog better
Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009.5 E60 550i MSport 2011 E90 ///M3 ZCP

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='768680' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:00 PM
Its because yellow is the color of our skin. and Egg noodles.

hahahahaha yes mike! yellow ftw. <---even this is yellow
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Contributors

this thread stinks of yellow power
Old 01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Carbon Black Black leather Interior Sept 2006

Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to to wire my fogs up so they come on with my high beams.

I know this thread is about yellow fogs but i hope some could lead me in the right direction.

I live in the highlands of Scotland and the way to my house is up some dark roads and it would be handy to have the fogs to come on with high beam but still work with independently when required.

thanks
Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

The reason you don't want to use high beams in fog has nothing to do with how bright they are. Your high beams actually produce far fewer lumens then your HID low beams. Fog is nothing more then suspended water particles. Seeing as how they are floating in your line of sight, a high beam will project and reflect off of the water and back in to your eyes. The low beams shine on the road instead of straight ahead so the light bounces forward instead of back at you.
if you play pool or have watched the movie A Christmas Carol then you are familiar with this concept. The lower the light source, the lesser the glare. So VW and Benz placing their fogs in the headlamp housing is kinda retarded.

Now as far as the color goes think of it as skiing on a day with overcast. Without goggles on you have very poor depth perception. All you see is white with no shadows or contrast. Your color tinted filters out a light frequency which helps you focus. So having bright white fogs will give you that snow effect making it hard to gauge depth. Having a color, whether it be yellow, blue, pink, or green will help you focus on objects. My suggestion is to get whatever color your goggles are that you ski with. But i highly discourage green since it is one of the weakest color frequency (to the human eye.) Blue is much stronger which is why the sky appears blue. Not because the sun reflects off the ocean. That is just a myth.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by einstein57' post='775897' date='Jan 24 2009, 01:36 AM
The reason you don't want to use high beams in fog has nothing to do with how bright they are. Your high beams actually produce far fewer lumens then your HID low beams. Fog is nothing more then suspended water particles. Seeing as how they are floating in your line of sight, a high beam will project and reflect off of the water and back in to your eyes. The low beams shine on the road instead of straight ahead so the light bounces forward instead of back at you.
if you play pool or have watched the movie A Christmas Carol then you are familiar with this concept. The lower the light source, the lesser the glare. So VW and Benz placing their fogs in the headlamp housing is kinda retarded.

Now as far as the color goes think of it as skiing on a day with overcast. Without goggles on you have very poor depth perception. All you see is white with no shadows or contrast. Your color tinted filters out a light frequency which helps you focus. So having bright white fogs will give you that snow effect making it hard to gauge depth. Having a color, whether it be yellow, blue, pink, or green will help you focus on objects. My suggestion is to get whatever color your goggles are that you ski with. But i highly discourage green since it is one of the weakest color frequency (to the human eye.) Blue is much stronger which is why the sky appears blue. Not because the sun reflects off the ocean. That is just a myth.
The sky appears blue due to a process called Rayleigh scattering. The blue light is absorbed/scattered by particles in the atmosphere, whereas red, yellow, orange pass through directly. This scattering causes it to look blue when you look up towards it. Nothing to do with how 'strong' the blue light, in fact that doesn't really make that much sense to be honest.

As for green being the least sensitive? It is widely known that blue is in fact the least sensitive frequency for the human eye to detect. To see something in blue requires twice as much energy input for a comparative green (or red) source.

For someone called Einstein, I honestly don't know....

Old 01-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: It's an E60 545I 6 speed.

Man I was just looking to get some info on fog lights, not an education!

Quick Reply: Yellow fog lights